Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have convinced my wifey that I need an AK for my birthday present this year....I was looking on the Classic Arms website and saw two in particular that caught my eye and seem like pretty good deals...First, they have a Romanian WASR High Cap shooter's package that come with the Rifle, 4 mags, a sling, and a case for $469.99....The Second, is a Saiga AK configuration rifle with one magazine for $499.99. Is the AK configuration the same thing as a "converted" Saiga I see everyone talkin about? Anyways, which one do you guys think is the better deal/which would you pick? Any advice is much appreciated. PS....anyone have any experience doing business with Classic Arms?

http://www.classicarms.us/ The Saiga is one of the first rifles on the page, the WASR is about 2/3 of the way down...

Josh

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
That Saiga looks converted. I'd call to be sure. And that's a good deal for a converted Saiga. That's as close to a real Russian AK you are going to get. I've seen pay anywhere from $750-$900 for a converted Saiga.

So yea, you better jump on that ASAP!

But call first just to be sure it's a true conversion.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Definitely go the Saiga route. I love mine.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You can tell it is a conversion because the trigger guard is firmly against the magazine release, rather than 2 inches away. Also, the pistol grip is fully on the receiver.

Saiga. All new parts. :)

Keep in mind that at that price they probably didn't do anything but the trigger conversion, which means it won't be able to use standard AK magazines. To get it to work with AK magazines you need to add a bullet guide. Dunno how difficult that is, never needed to do one. :p

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
^^^^That's the reason I told him to call ahead. It says that it accepts all standard AK mags. It looks like a true conversion. But without the bullet guide it's not quite there.

Either way it's most of the way there. It's not hard to put a bullet guide on yourself. Drill and tap, a little Loctite and viola.

Like I said. Jump on that!:D

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
go wasr. all the semi auto goodness is built in. no conversions, bullet guides, magazine issue silliness.

I got mine from century arms and its had problems but they took care of me. my buddies have a few century wasr10 rifles and they run beautifully. I need to get out to the range since I got mine back but I don't think I will have any more issues.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
^^^^Are you kidding me?:shock: Hahaha!

Waiting for the flame throwers to come a blazin. :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
The problems Century had was with there 5.45x39 tantal that being said there customer service and warranty sucks. I will never buy from Century because of this fact. I waited and watched and found a GREAT deal on a Arsenal SLR105 and I am a HAPPY camper :twisted::twisted:.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
^^^^Are you kidding me?:shock: Hahaha!

Waiting for the flame throwers to come a blazin. :D

wasr has almost all new parts. tapco g2 trigger and piston. all the standard mags fit and work. I have seen plenty that are accurate and run fine.

people want to talk about canted sights and gas tubes on the wasr but saiga is known for its share of "vodka guns". :rolleyes:

my point is wasr should be good to go out of the box. if it isn't century will make it right. you don't to worry about altering the rifle or buying parts to make things (that should work) work.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
The problems Century had was with there 5.45x39 tantal that being said there customer service and warranty sucks. I will never buy from Century because of this fact.

I had the opposite experience. everyone I talked to was very nice and took care of me just fine. I can't even really complain about the wait. it was a few weeks from the time I shipped it until I got it back. that's not bad. I just hate waiting. that's my issue not theirs.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
The problems Century had was with there 5.45x39 tantal that being said there customer service and warranty sucks. I will never buy from Century because of this fact. I waited and watched and found a GREAT deal on a Arsenal SLR105 and I am a HAPPY camper :twisted::twisted:.
You're joking right?? CAI has issues with every weapon they have anything to do with. The WaSR is a CAG-cheap a$$ gun...they have issues all the way from Cugir! CAI stands by their warranty 100%. Customer service is average, but they 99% of the time come through or give you your money back. And with the 5,45 weapons, they had been sold the wrong barrels (5.56). They issued a recall and and even honored weapons sold second hand.

And there are plenty of Arsenal weapons with issues.......not as common as CAI, but they are out there. I had one that acted up so bad, they sent me a different weapon, paid for shipping and transfer. It's not even one of my best shooters. I only bought it because I caught it on sale, got a discount from Bob (Kvar) because of a botched order from them. You pay for the name when you buy Arsenal.....

OP: call as mentioned about the Saiga. Saigas are the best deal out there right now for the somewhat skilled. If you decide to go with the WaSR, don't be scared. If there is a problem CAI will make it right.

EDIT
This says it all........
Russian Saiga AK configuration Rifle. One of the smoothest operating, best looking Russian AK rifles available. Fully 922r compliant, accepts all standard high capacity AK Mags and Drums. Integral Scope Mount on Receiver. 7.62x39 Caliber, Semi-Auto.
Comes complete with 1-30 rd mag, cleaning kit, oil bottle and manual.

Item # Saiga-AK.................$499.95

·
Registered
668 Posts
You're joking right?? CAI has issues with every weapon they have anything to do with. The WaSR is a CAG-cheap a$$ gun...they have issues all the way from Cugir! CAI stands by their warranty 100%. Customer service is average, but they 99% of the time come through or give you your money back. And with the 5,45 weapons, they had been sold the wrong barrels (5.56). They issued a recall and and even honored weapons sold second hand.

And there are plenty of Arsenal weapons with issues.......not as common as CAI, but they are out there. I had one that acted up so bad, they sent me a different weapon, paid for shipping and transfer. It's not even one of my best shooters. I only bought it because I caught it on sale, got a discount from Bob (Kvar) because of a botched order from them. You pay for the name when you buy Arsenal.....

OP: call as mentioned about the Saiga. Saigas are the best deal out there right now for the somewhat skilled. If you decide to go with the WaSR, don't be scared. If there is a problem CAI will make it right.

EDIT
This says it all........

There warranty starts the day the rifle leaves there factory !!!!! So if it is on the shelf for a year and the warranty is for a year, guess what no warranty :shock:. Still going to stay far away from any CAI products.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have a CAI WASR 10/63 and it shoots accurately, no mag wobble, no canted sights. I can't speak for their earlier efforts or anybody else's rifle, but mine has done everything I've asked it to do. Mine also came with 4 mags, a bayonet, sling and misc other stuff. Again, just my experience.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Saiga all the way, and for that $499. its a great deal.

Brand new Russian AK goodness.

I've three Saigas, did the conversions on the S12 & Sx39 myself, and the S.308-ver.21 came with the wood.

·
Registered
942 Posts
go wasr. all the semi auto goodness is built in. no conversions, bullet guides,AND MAYBE NO magazine issue silliness.
fixed for the notorious mag wobble on alot of WASRs

To the OP, i would go the saiga route or save up for an Arsenal converted saiga.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Some do some dont. Its safe to say mag wobble is a common issue on wasrs though.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
There warranty starts the day the rifle leaves there factory !!!!! So if it is on the shelf for a year and the warranty is for a year, guess what no warranty :shock:. Still going to stay far away from any CAI products.
YouTube - ‪Review: Defective Century Tantal Update‬‏
BS...They don't have a factory, the warranty starts the day the weapon is checked in at an FFL. And besides that, all you have to do is have your FFL send them a nice little note stating the date of the sale vs delivery and you get a full warranty. ....I sold a CUR 2 that has never been out of the FFL log book since delivery. It went in for a warranty repair, free of charge. The weapon is 11 years old......You don't have to believe me, but I know much more about them than you and the goof in the video...I used to work for them when DIG and InterArms co-op'd importation with them....:rolleyes:

And CAI isn't the only one that deals in WaSRs....IO, RT, TGW, TNG, MGS, SPA, CAI, SFI, EAA...all importsers and distributors of WaSR weapons and many do the 922 conversions for/with CAI.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts