1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

so my plan is to upgrade my .40xd tactical
probably send the gun to bobs and have
new sights (cant decide heinie or dawson)
full trigger job (sear, bar, etc)
barrel (EFK dragon or bar-stow or storm lake)
1911 spring guide rod, extended mag release
maybe have the grip stipled
(I will take any suggestion on my mod plans)

but all of this work will cost hundereds of dollars (more then the price of the gun)
and I'm wondering will it be worth it? maybe I should only do some of the mods.

I want a gun that at 25 yards is shooting falling plates every time, or 4inches or less. Is that possible to expect that from the XD? Will the upgrades make the difference? or should I go but 500 bucks in ammo and practice a heck of a lot and be able to shoot better myself. Would buying a 1911 be the way to go?

I'm not the type to have many guns, but the ones I do have I want to be top shooters.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I just have 1 question. Are you going to be shooting comp.? If not why spend all that money honestly?
What he said. If you aren't competing, most of that will be wasted. That said, if you aren't already a very proficient shooter, most of that may be wasted. Being good is 95% shooter and 5% equipment. My stock XD will hold 4" at 25 yards right now. I would do this...

1) Practice, practice, practice...
2) Upgrade sights
3) Practice, practice, practice...
4) Upgrade trigger if needed
5) Practice, practice, practice...

Repeat 5 on and on...

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I would add that if you are doing all of those mods, my suggestion for sights is Dawson. My suggestion on a barrel is Bar-Sto. My suggestions for the trigger and stippling would be from Springer Precision. He can do everything you listed actually...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi All,

so my plan is to upgrade my .40xd tactical
probably send the gun to bobs and have
new sights (cant decide heinie or dawson)
full trigger job (sear, bar, etc)
barrel (EFK dragon or bar-stow or storm lake)
1911 spring guide rod, extended mag release
maybe have the grip stipled
(I will take any suggestion on my mod plans)

but all of this work will cost hundereds of dollars (more then the price of the gun)
and I'm wondering will it be worth it? maybe I should only do some of the mods.

I want a gun that at 25 yards is shooting falling plates every time, or 4inches or less. Is that possible to expect that from the XD? Will the upgrades make the difference? or should I go but 500 bucks in ammo and practice a heck of a lot and be able to shoot better myself. Would buying a 1911 be the way to go?

I'm not the type to have many guns, but the ones I do have I want to be top shooters.

My initial thought is that the 5" Tactical is already going to be pretty accurate, certainly within the criteria of <4". Perhaps some range time to get more familiar with the jumpier 40S&W, find a good load, and a little DIY trigger/sear polishing (and perhaps a lighter sear and trigger spring) will do the trick. The other mods you suggested will do little for accuracy IMHO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not a rookie but have a similar issue.

I'm not a big fan of the XD trigger so I'm contemplating working the gun out or getting a Wilson or Sig which out of the box has the trigger closer to where I want it.

While I can work around the trigger break it's just not comfortable which throws my groups off and causes me to want to go back to my 1911 or HK.

I don't like the Glocks as the angle, for me, is off (not that I don't shoot well with it) and the build quality is sloppy (to me) compared to the HD or other pistols in it's class.

Not to be critical but I think one of the things people have an issue with is a transition from a "traditional" trigger to one of the safe action triggers. Another issue is trying to get a gun you can live with into the future without having to trade in/up.

I have to say I'm looking at the XD due to the 1911 grip, the safe action trigger (I carry an HK USP now), the fact that I can get a .40 in 3" subcompact and longer for comp shooting - plus a lot of aftermarket parts and smiths who can dial the gun in so that I can train with it often, make it smooth and comfortable and ensure that I'm on at close range or long.

Just my 2 cents but while a rookie with a gun is still a rookie practice makes permanent (and uncomfortable makes nervous) and having the right equipment is important.

Regards,
gp

·
Registered
45 Posts
You made no statements about your history with your XD, but based on your post, it appears as though you haven't yet had much range time with it. In that case, lots of practice is a good recommendation.

Still, I can understand the desire to make improvements to ones guns. While arguments can be made against spending the cash, if upgrading the gun pleases you, and gives you more incentive to and joy in shooting it, why not? If, in the end, you choose to go with the listed mods, I give a +1 to mhillsing23's suggestions regarding components and smithy.

One possible change would be to have Springer Precision fit a Barsto 9MM conversion barrel, rather than a 40. This, with a couple of 9MM mags, would allow you to switch back and forth between the two calibers. Your $$ will go farther shooting 9MM ammo. This might help to justify the cost of the match barrel, since, as stated by some of the folks above, the stock barrel is decently accurate.

Rereading your post, you didn't state your intended use (carry, IDPA, etc), so I would talk to the smithy about specific sight choices for your needs, then sit back and consider them for a couple of days before making a decision.

Good luck with your choices and let us know what you decide. - Sheff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Shef,

I've shot all of the XD frames in .40 and 9mm aside from the sub-compact (which I would love to replace my USP .40).
I have about 8hrs of range time with 800-1000 rounds through them.

I only put 200 through the Sigs but had zero issues with the trigger, I just think they are pretty huge for me to carry concealed.

Hope it's obvious that I like everything about the XD but the trigger and think I can fix that...

All of the XDs "sting" my trigger finger with the safety trigger (Glock included) after I send a round down range which is surprising and uncomfortable but I'll continue to work on.

The initial staging of the trigger to the first lock and the subsequent pull knocks my sight picture out slightly at long range. I'm confident I can work through that with practice.

One thing I often wonder is why have a shooter balance a round on a 2 stage trigger - yes, you do have a "mind gap" between pulls but I was always trained that "pulling trigger = bullet comes out hole". My USP has a staged trigger so I'm not against them, just babbling.

I'm a little bit of a perfectionist - which is another reason why such a tunable gun appeals to me and why I've shot 12 different pistols...
Now with the XD & XDm out there it's another choice I have to make!

I intend on carrying a subcompact XD in the same cal and trigger as my IDPA/Range guns - which I still want to be able to carry safely. I think of my guns, generally, as a streetable race car - fun to play with but practical enough for every day use. I have some "hair trigger" target guns, I would never think of carrying them.

My Son is shooting smaller cal handguns and will someday step up into my pistols in larger cal or get some of his own. So I'm thinking ahead kind of the way my Dad did, would like to have a good clutch of different actions for him to try and practice on.

My USP 40 has been modified with a 4lb LEM trigger and I did have the safety lever put back on as a "just in case' positive lock when requested to activate a safety indoors. I'm used to drawing and firing my 1911s so to me it's just habit anyway when I enable the safety - which I do only once in a blue moon - and yes, understand that it could be an issue if engaged in a protection event and have to pay special attention to it at times.

Thanks for the note on the 9mm, while snap caps are great for muscle memory there is nothing better than range time which is my time to relax and put holes in paper and a case of 9mm is around $100 less than the .40s. I had been debating carrying in 9mm vs .40 but do appreciate the .40 for carry even though there is some very good data out there showing how technically close the two rounds actually are.

Regards,
gp

·
Registered
92 Posts
the best shooters ive ever seen and ive shot idpa steel matches and the best of the best all shot 1911 style race guns, if you want to win some national championship start with wilson combat kimber or some other high quality 1911 and go from there

get ready for accessory rails lazer sights high quality competition ammunition oh the humanity and the money

i remember going to a match in so cal and for the love of god i can't remember his name right now but he's the springfield national rep and has been champion in many divisions

and i watched this man go off at the buzzer and his 1911 sounded full auto as fast as he was pulling the trigger did a tactical reload and fired another mag hitting every steel plate on the target range and did it all in about 3 freakin seconds, never seen anything like it

so thats what your looking at
freebyrd

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Honestly I can not tell a difference between a tradiditonal trigger, and one with a built in safety. Guess I'm more focused on shot placement, then minor things. On that note, mine is very accurate. You just have to paractice, and get the weapon broke in properly.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've never owned a gun that I didn't customize. Even a Glock needs new sights out of the box. In my opinion, an XD needs a trigger job, sights, a single side mag release, and I prefer new duide rods on the M and Tactical models. As far as barrels go, as long as they are fitted properly, a factory barrel is generally as accurate as an after-market model.

ranburr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know more practice is necessary. But here is how I came to the conclusion to upgrade my gun. My range has a steel targets at 50 yards. There is a large plate (16") and small plate (8") that I like to shoot at. With my .22 trailside I can go 10/10 on the large plate and 5-8/10 on the small plate. With my cousins ruger 357 revolver I'm hitting 4/6 large and 2-3/6 small. With my XD I'm shooting 5/10 large and 2-0/10 small. I want to improve that number with my XD.

I definatly do not understand the sights and how they work so maybe sights are the best idea.

suggestions?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It's your gun, do what you like and don't let someone else talk you out of it! :D

I have an XD-9 Tactical with Dawson sights, Springer competition trigger-job, EFK barrel (I'd get a PistolGear barrel if I was doing it now), Canyon Creek mag release, Don's guide rod and a PistolGear magwell. It shoots rings around a stock gun and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

The gun does outshoot me, but I'm of the mindset that practicing with the best makes for better practice. Eliminating as many variables as you can makes honing your skills easier.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I know more practice is necessary. But here is how I came to the conclusion to upgrade my gun. My range has a steel targets at 50 yards. There is a large plate (16") and small plate (8") that I like to shoot at. With my .22 trailside I can go 10/10 on the large plate and 5-8/10 on the small plate. With my cousins ruger 357 revolver I'm hitting 4/6 large and 2-3/6 small. With my XD I'm shooting 5/10 large and 2-0/10 small. I want to improve that number with my XD.

I definatly do not understand the sights and how they work so maybe sights are the best idea.

suggestions?
Is that 2 handed standing, or some kind of rest. I just got an XD 9mm service from the custom shop with a carry/combat trigger (4.5 lbs) and Heinie sights, and I think, if I took my time, on a good day I might hit 6-8/10 on the large and 3-5/10 on the small. I haven't shot at 50 yards, but those plates work out to 1.6" and 3.2" at 10 yards. I'm definitely more accurate with my gun over a stock XD.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
The XD is loose because it is made for combat and to go bang every time. If you want something accurate, go with a tight 1911. However, as others have said, the XD is more accurate than most of the people who carry them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hello, the only modification i did on my HS40 TACTICAL is changed the frontsight with a fiber optic sight and had a magwell put into place. my hs40 is very RELIABLE, if you can zoom closely, the mag i'm using is from my hs2000 9mm. feeding is 100% but the capacity is limited to 11 rds instead of the usual 12 rounder.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What he said. If you aren't competing, most of that will be wasted. That said, if you aren't already a very proficient shooter, most of that may be wasted. Being good is 95% shooter and 5% equipment. My stock XD will hold 4" at 25 yards right now. I would do this...

1) Practice, practice, practice...
2) Upgrade sights
3) Practice, practice, practice...
4) Upgrade trigger if needed
5) Practice, practice, practice...

Repeat 5 on and on...
Amen to that!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know more practice is necessary. But here is how I came to the conclusion to upgrade my gun... With my XD I'm shooting 5/10 large and 2-0/10 small. I want to improve that number with my XD.

suggestions?
OK, we'll assume that you get the idea about practice, and stick to the hardware aspects. The following is editorial and not to be considered authoritative.

I believe the best first upgrade on an XD is the trigger. Stock triggers on the XD seem to always have too much take-up and overtravel. Sometimes there's a bit of "crunch" in the creep as well. Although enough firing will smooth it out, a trigger job will reduce total travel (and reset) making it easier to tighten up your shots.

New sights would be the next potential improvement, depending on your planned use of the gun, and your eyesight. A wider-notched rear sight, combined with a narrow front sight would be a typical choice for a combat or IDPA-type competetive use, as it gives you a fast sight picture. Fiber optic front sights are preferred by some for comp., while a night sight is often used for carry (some folks have expressed the concern that the fiber optic on many front sights are fragile, and are visible to the target). You might spend some time at a local gunshop or club, talking with folks and eyeing different sight types to determine what seems to work for you. If you can rent the guns, all the better. Heck, You might decide that the stock sights will work just fine for your needs. In the end, everyone has their own preference.

After that, your cost-to-performance-improvement ratio drops off with additional hardware mods. Here's where I would go back and to that "practice" thing for a couple thousand rounds first. Odds are, you will be the next "weak link" in the process. The fit of the XD is going not the same as the other guns you mentioned. It can take some time finding the right grip and learning "muscle memory" for consistent shots with it. Everybody is different. Patience is always a good thing.

Sheff

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'd just go for the PRP trigger kit, which you can do yourself. I'd get some TFOs or Dawsons, probably want to send the slide out for that. A guide rod is cheap and easy to install so why not !? Spend the rest on ammo and have fun with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts