Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40s colt 1911a1 w/ 5 inch barrel. I want to purchase a new recoil spring. Was thinking about a Wolfe brand or something else don't know what to get. Also I understand springs due to being a mechanic, an engines valve spring needs a measured weight at a measured length so do you really have to trim 1911 springs as people suggest? Gun is 1911 colt slide on Essex frame

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Purchase my 16# springs from Brownells. Correct length to selected firearm. Check there website.

www.brownells.com

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! Heard great things about brownells. I was looking for a 16 or 16.5 lb spring. I will check that out

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
They should have them at Brownells. Like a 16-18 pound selection.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow family owned gun store 2 miles from where I live they have a #16 wolff spring for 8.99$! Perfect deal lower than online and no shipping. I love supporting mom and pop buisnesses

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
That's always a plus too. Perk of the 1911. A lot of shops stock a few essential parts. Same with the Glocks and AR's.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Always support the little guy...great score. :lol:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed on 1911 and wow its like a new gun!! really happy about it.

Tell me why do some owners cut down their 1911 spring to length?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Installed on 1911 and wow its like a new gun!! really happy about it.

Tell me why do some owners cut down their 1911 spring to length?
Because people are too dumb, lazy, and/or impatient to order a new spring.

Same people that do "trigger jobs" that make the hammer fall when the slide is dropped. We like to call them "Bubba".

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. Sorry this is the mechanic in me coming out but as far as springs go springs have a measured resistance at a measured length. why cut the spring? it may not stay in battery or be reliable

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Think hooks law.

F=kX

So that same spring constant (k) at a shorter overall length (x) results in lower spring force (f) So if you have a factory spring, and load bunny farts that don't cycle normally, people will cut a section of spring off thus lowering the "weight" of said spring.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Think hooks law.

F=kX

So that same spring constant (k) at a shorter overall length (x) results in lower spring force (f) So if you have a factory spring, and load bunny farts that don't cycle normally, people will cut a section of spring off thus lowering the "weight" of said spring.
This is the logic of it yes. Handloading can benefit from lighter springs. But recoil springs are cheap. Why muck up a part that could affect function. I say leave it to the professionals.

Like kids cutting the springs in their civics. Yeah it's lowered, but function is not where it should be.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I enherited the 1911a1 from my great uncle. It's around a 40's era handgun. My great uncle shot pistols in shooting compotetions before a handgun was viewed as anything but a killing machine. I recall now that this 1911 was the one he had set up to shoot low power semi wad cutter 45 acp. That explains the lighter recoil spring for low power target ammo. I don't reload 45 acp mostly 44 magnum due to cost. I have a close friend that reloaded for me but the ammunition would cause failure to feed. This 1911 likes ammo with a tight factory crimp. Even the lowest quality factory loaded brass ammo is alright in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts