Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated in a previous thread, albeit quite a few months ago, I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster that was made in the early 80's. It has a 30" barrel and a fixed full choke. I overlooked these things because it was in pristine condition and I got it for just over $300.

I'm pretty sure I am just going to sell it and buy a brand new Wingmaster, but I have a few concerns I was hoping you scattergun aficionados could spout off about.

1) The blueing. The blueing of my 870 seems to be a little better looking than the new ones. Anyone else feel this way? This is not a major issue, just wondering if I was the only one.

2) The overall fit and finish. I have done a full disassembly and cleaned everything out, and the fit and finish is absolutely great. The action is exceedingly smooth, obviously in part to the use of it, but still. I have heard that the new 870's coming off the line were a little bit lacking in the quality control department. Is this true? Can I expect to get a gun that is just as good as the old ones, or are they slipping up?

3) The recoil pad on mine is much nicer than the ones on the new one. I will post a picture If I remember later. The ones that come stock on the new wingmasters just aren't nearly as comfortable or effective as this one, which I believe came with it as I have seen others on old wingmasters, but cannot confirm. Are these readily replaceable?

Thanks for the input in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
As stated in a previous thread, albeit quite a few months ago, I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster that was made in the early 80's. It has a 30" barrel and a fixed full choke. I overlooked these things because it was in pristine condition and I got it for just over $300.

I'm pretty sure I am just going to sell it and buy a brand new Wingmaster, but I have a few concerns I was hoping you scattergun aficionados could spout off about.

I would keep this one and buy a new barrel in whatever you are looking for

1) The blueing. The blueing of my 870 seems to be a little better looking than the new ones. Anyone else feel this way? This is not a major issue, just wondering if I was the only one.

Old bluing does look better to me also.

2) The overall fit and finish. I have done a full disassembly and cleaned everything out, and the fit and finish is absolutely great. The action is exceedingly smooth, obviously in part to the use of it, but still. I have heard that the new 870's coming off the line were a little bit lacking in the quality control department. Is this true? Can I expect to get a gun that is just as good as the old ones, or are they slipping up?

Quality control on Rems have slipped big time. Keep the one you have!

3) The recoil pad on mine is much nicer than the ones on the new one. I will post a picture If I remember later. The ones that come stock on the new wingmasters just aren't nearly as comfortable or effective as this one, which I believe came with it as I have seen others on old wingmasters, but cannot confirm. Are these readily replaceable?

There are a lot of different recoil pads on the aftermarket.

Thanks for the input in advance guys.

The biggest thing is why replace a great shotgun for a new mediocre one???

What will the new on e do that the old one wont? If you want a shorter barrel (18.5) then there are replacements out there for 1-150 new. If you want replaceable chokes then you can send off your barrel and get it threaded for Chokes!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
^^^^^ this. I wouldn't sell it if you want a new one. Just get a new barrel how you want. Keep the original.

sent by the german shepherd next to me

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Finding different barrels is tricky.

The old Wingmaster was a classic gun.

Honestly, as hard as it is to get 870 barrels unless you go with someone other than Remington and what you want from this gun, perhaps you should consider selling it. Check gunbroker for similar examples and what they're selling for.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Idk ebay has a lot of wingmaster barrels for sale. Many original style, and many modified barrels. You could get a different barrel if you wanted. Get another 30 inch and cut it where you want it and get it threaded. Wouldn't cost much. Or get a aftermarket barrel and keep the original. Have two barrels and if you sell you can sell both barrels. Idk I wouldn't sell it.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
What do you want it for? if you want to make a HD shotgun...

CHOP IT UP!

Wingmasters are absolutely nothing special--there's over a million of 'em out there--and the new ones are VERY hit and miss in regards to quality.

Or, buy different barrels for it; that's easy as well...

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys. This will be a hunting gun. The reason something has to be done about the one I have is the barrel and the receiver only takes 2.75 inch shells. I like having the flexibility to shoot shoulder breakers.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
Ok guys. This will be a hunting gun. The reason something has to be done about the one I have is the barrel and the receiver only takes 2.75 inch shells. I like having the flexibility to shoot shoulder breakers.
Well, then--yes you are limited. The receiver likely isn't designed for 3" rounds, either.

But...unless you are seriously into shooting sky carp--I mean, geese--there's not much that you can't do with a 2-3/4 that you can do with a 3".

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
If you want a 28" vr removable choke barrel pm me. My HD shotgun came with one. 12" lop+ surefire that bird barrel will never get used.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Sell it and get a 3 1/2" gun.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, then--yes you are limited. The receiver likely isn't designed for 3" rounds, either.

But...unless you are seriously into shooting sky carp--I mean, geese--there's not much that you can't do with a 2-3/4 that you can do with a 3".
Sell it and get a 3 1/2" gun.
I don't need a 3.5. I just like the ability to shoot 3's.

I am trying to get a feel for the new wingmaster build quality.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Is there any difference between an express and wingmaster barrel? Cause I've swapped them back and forth before.

Mines an express

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Shouldn't be other than wingmasters being prettier.

If a 3" chamber is desired, see if you can find someone willing to trade an older express for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
keep the old wingmaster for sure. I believe that older firearms were built with higher standards than those of today. imo

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
Is there any difference between an express and wingmaster barrel? Cause I've swapped them back and forth before.

Mines an express
Older receivers aren't designed to take 3" barrels.

If Nathan's receiver says "magnum" on the side, it can.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Mine does not. Another thing I was not aware of.

I imagine finding an older wingmaster barrel stamped 2.75 only will be harder.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts

I thought it could lock in but just couldn't feed 3" obviously

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
That's a good question.

Depends on how much difference there is between the receivers I reckon.

Probably could find an answer over at shotgunworld

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
That's a good question.

Depends on how much difference there is between the receivers I reckon.

Probably could find an answer over at shotgunworld
And if the age matter I've seen it done with 2 '90s 870s cause the locking in portion was the same.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts