Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres my situation, ever since i entered the AR scene i have been eyeing this gun (DDM4V5). but at the time i bought my RRA, companies were inflating the prices, demand was high so they supplied low, prices were out of my reach. I resorted to trading, because at this point in my life $1,000 is alot of money, and cant really justify dropping that much cash on anything. i traded two guns for one (dont regret it) and only had to pay like 200 for my RRA. So here we go again, i was in a gunstore/pawn shop near my current location and laid eyes upon a DDM4V5 NS for $1,099. the best price i have seen in stores anywhere in ga. i will probably get around to trying to get this, and see what they will give me for my RRA in a trade. my guess is around 650-700ish, even though its in brand new condition...i know how it works. but my question is...should i do it? im in college, i do have a job but its part time, live off campus so i have bills and such, my father helps me on my bills so they arent really a problem. but am i being selfish, if i do this, when i could be helping more on the bills and whatever else. Im at a crossroads.

i may have just rambled but i need advice lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think you need to be honest with yourself bro... Are you REALLY gonna be satisfied if you do it? It Sounds like that new gun was your goal from the beginning, and if It will finally make you happy, go for it...

But if you are going to just fixate on something else after, then have a chat with yourself an learn to be satisfie with what u have...

I have a similar problem with motorcycles... First it was a Honda Shadow 750, then a Honda CBR600rr, then a Harley Sportster 1200... I want a different bike but I said "no rich." and I love my bike now...

Just my $0.02... If this is why you want, do it, but if you are not satisfied after the trade, just come to terms with yourself, LOL

I hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
702 Posts
you are in college, already have a great AR platform, and little cash flow.

my opinion would be, no, dont get it.

but, do what makes you happy, at the end of the day that is what really matters.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I hear that you're already feeling guilty about it, and so I'd listen to that gut feeling and forego the additional expense.

Delayed gratification is not necessarily a bad thing. The DD will still be around when you will be in a better position to buy one.

And, hey, the RRA is no slouch. I've got one and really enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
From a moral standpoint, does your father know you own or buy guns, especially with his money? If he knows and you are honest with him about what you need the money for and he still gives it to you then you have no moral problem. Also, does he pay only for certain expenses (tuition, books, rent, etc.) or is what he gives "walking around money"? If he gives you money to use at your discretion rather than paying for your bills directly, and you have scrimped and saved it over time to make such a large purchase then again I think you have no moral problems. I would also make sure that you can buy it without letting any of your obligated debts slip. If buying it means you can't make rent then don't do it, if it means you can't eat out every night or have to forgo the bars for a few weekends and you are comfortable with that then go ahead.

On the practical side, I have to agree with what others have said. As a person who does not know you and is only going off what you have posted, I would suspect that if you really wanted the DDM4V5 then you would have saved up for it the first time around rather than buying the RRA. Also, what advantages do you see with the Daniels rifle over the RRA? I'm guessing that the RRA is as good as the next for a dependable, accurate, baseline AR. Also, how much college do you have left? If you only have a semester or two I'd say wait until you land a job and then splurge on whatever you want. If you are a few years away, I'd violate my own advice and go ahead and get it now (provided the moral implications are settled) since if you are a few years from graduating, God knows how expensive that thing will be with inflation!

·
Premium Member
128,267 Posts
Unless you are financially independent I believe it would be inappropriate.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would say keep the RRA. I have college age kids, and to be honest if I were helping them pay their bills, and they went and did that and had to take more money away from providing towards their own situation, I would be done with helping. You only have extra because of the help he's providing. The RRA is a great gun afterall.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Is the other rifle going to do anything the RRA won't?

IMO, If you can't afford it you're really better off waiting until you can. By then there may be something else you'd rather have anyway. If you think about it, with the low price they'll give you for the RRA ($ lost for you) the DD price to you will be more along the line of $1300. Is the rifle worth $1300?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From a moral standpoint, does your father know you own or buy guns, especially with his money? If he knows and you are honest with him about what you need the money for and he still gives it to you then you have no moral problem. Also, does he pay only for certain expenses (tuition, books, rent, etc.) or is what he gives "walking around money"? If he gives you money to use at your discretion rather than paying for your bills directly, and you have scrimped and saved it over time to make such a large purchase then again I think you have no moral problems. I would also make sure that you can buy it without letting any of your obligated debts slip. If buying it means you can't make rent then don't do it, if it means you can't eat out every night or have to forgo the bars for a few weekends and you are comfortable with that then go ahead.

On the practical side, I have to agree with what others have said. As a person who does not know you and is only going off what you have posted, I would suspect that if you really wanted the DDM4V5 then you would have saved up for it the first time around rather than buying the RRA. Also, what advantages do you see with the Daniels rifle over the RRA? I'm guessing that the RRA is as good as the next for a dependable, accurate, baseline AR. Also, how much college do you have left? If you only have a semester or two I'd say wait until you land a job and then splurge on whatever you want. If you are a few years away, I'd violate my own advice and go ahead and get it now (provided the moral implications are settled) since if you are a few years from graduating, God knows how expensive that thing will be with inflation!

my father knows i buy and own guns but i always do it with my own money, the money he gives me is to help on bills, food, and yes damn books...even though i have only bought one book in my last two semesters, you realise the professors hardly ever use the. the job i have now i was planning on sitting money aside and cutting back on pretty much everything thats not necessary to eventually trade and pay the difference, but i agree with everything everyone has said! ive been given the best advice i could get.

i have about two years left, counting the intern stuff ill have to do, but my reason for wanting this rifle is more than just the rifle. Daniel Defense attracts me as a company for several reasons, for one its made in georgia and i would like to support that. and i also was thinking about the future, whether its a hyperinflation or another ban. but hey im majoring in criminal justice, so if i get on at a departement somewhere when im done i guess i could get it then. but thanks to all and im gonna hold out, im still going to save money because it seems like a good idea anyway.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I agree that its probably inappropriate, but maybe touch basis with your Dad on it. Don't know what your relationship is with him, but maybe tell him your situation. Make sure you add you wanted his input because he helps you so much and might feel guilty. If he says he would rather you not, then definitly wait. If he says, you have been working hard and deserve it, then go pick it up.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Unless you are financially independent I believe it would be inappropriate.
I would say keep the RRA. I have college age kids, and to be honest if I were helping them pay their bills, and they went and did that and had to take more money away from providing towards their own situation, I would be done with helping. You only have extra because of the help he's providing. The RRA is a great gun afterall.

I agree. Finish college, be independent, and then you can get all the cool stuff you want - but do it before you get married :)

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
IMO (and I have read you decided to save) if he gives you money to cover what you don't have for bills and what not, saying you "buy with your own money" is kind of lame. because what you spend on whatever that doesn't cover bills or food comes out of his pocket. he still ends up paying.

my brother thinks that way. he is in school and struggling to pay, he is building a mustang and all that working at a parts store he is generally a good student and hard worker/responsible but he is talking about porting the heads and bigger valves on the 351 doing a t5 swap that requires a ton of hard to find parts and I'm like "Now isnt the time or the place to do that when you struggling to pay for school and you are getting money from mom..."

he wants to argue its "his money" and doesn't see the more he spends the more mom has to scrimp to cover him. it makes me pissed.

I am not saying "not to" I'm just saying get out of school and get more money coming in before you do.

if he buys parts it wont be pretty.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
In college I worked as a pawnbroker to help my parents pay the bills. As part of my job I bought and sold hundreds of guns. There were many I wanted but I never bought one for myself. That would have been wrong when my parents were sacrificing so much for my education.

No regrets.

Study hard, make grades.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
I know were you are at. I think you probably made the correct decision.

I could also justify upgrading too, if you don't blow money needlessly in other areas. Just paying bills and never spending money to have fun gets real old after awhile. Thats how I have justified my recent gun and related purchases. I am pretty much debt free, but I have looming home improvement expenses for as far as the eye can see (preferable over a mortgage). still, the money I blow on "toys" amounts to probably less than $1000 a year. That is a number I can live with, especially since my toy will last, and may eventually be the next generation's toys. Even my ammo lasts longer than my wife's aquarium fish.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IMO (and I have read you decided to save) if he gives you money to cover what you don't have for bills and what not, saying you "buy with your own money" is kind of lame. because what you spend on whatever that doesn't cover bills or food comes out of his pocket. he still ends up paying.
good point.

and Groo...not because you use your ammo on her fish right?

another thing is i know i would be satisfied when i eventually get my DDM4, im making it a goal haha. price wise my RRA is not too far away from my dream gun, but to me the company of daniel defense stands out more(IMO) and i will eventually own one of their rifles...

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I have a similar problem with motorcycles... First it was a Honda Shadow 750, then a Honda CBR600rr, then a Harley Sportster 1200... I want a different bike but I said "no rich." and I love my bike now...
One word says it ALL...BUSA!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.