Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my first revolver. I want something in 357 mag, 4 inch barrel and 6 or more rounds. Does anyone have any idea as for what im looking for. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
IMHO, you can not go wrong with a Ruger. A GP100 would serve you well and is a hoot to shoot. Handles 357 mags well, and you can shoot all day with .38s. Rugers are made to last.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have an S&W 357 and an old Colt 357 Trooper. Both shoot great and are a lot of fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do like the Ruger platform. My brother has an SP101 i like it but i would feel better with that 6th round like the GP100 has. I have never seen that one only one i have seen was a security six which im guessing is its father???

and what models of S&W and Colt are you shooting Mill?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I do like the Ruger platform. My brother has an SP101 i like it but i would feel better with that 6th round like the GP100 has. I have never seen that one only one i have seen was a security six which im guessing is its father???

and what models of S&W and Colt are you shooting Mill?
The Colt says trooper on the barrel and the S&W does not say. The S&W I have no idea how old it is but the Colt is at least 30+ year old.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats awesome that gun is older than me. I would love to find some of the older guns like that i love the character they have. The smiths new guns though have the lock mech i dont like so would be looking for older models.

Does anyone know when Smith started with the Lock Mech?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ruger GP100, hands down.

Strongest DA 357 on the market. One of the most accurate revolvers on the market. Durable as all get out. About the only way to improve them is to stick a set of Wolff gun springs in 'em.

You will never regret buying a GP100.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check out one of these. It is an 8 shot revolver and takes full moon clips. I bought one a couple of months ago and really like it. I also have a Ruger GP-100 4" and like it as well. The S&W 625 is in .45 ACP and also takes the full moon clips.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Mito,
Revolver owners - being innately conservative/borderline Lududdite - tend hold very strong opinions and generally will recommend whatever brand revolver they happen to own. Hence Ruger owners recommend Rugers, S&W owners recommend S&W, and Colt owners recommend Colt... natch.

I own S&W revolvers. I have a Model 10, 19, 686, 657 and 29. When the right deal floats by me, I'll own a Colt Python or Anaconda.

Ruger owners always seem to talk up the ruggedness of the Ruger... they are rugged, granted. To my eye, the Rugers just seem a bit "awkward" or "clunky" but that's in the eye of the beholder. S&W and Colt have been making solid revolvers for over a century and a half and their service ruggedness never seems to be in doubt. In the revolver's heyday, Colts and Smith & Wessons were used by all the nations' police departments and the armed services. Ruger hadn't even been born yet.

Having said that, you could not go wrong with a Ruger, or an S&W, or a Colt. Any of their standard 4" models will suit you just fine. Get out, hold 'em, and shoot 'em. Decide. Just MHO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thats awesome that gun is older than me. I would love to find some of the older guns like that i love the character they have. The smiths new guns though have the lock mech i dont like so would be looking for older models.

Does anyone know when Smith started with the Lock Mech?
If you're looking at older revolvers do a little research on the Ruger Security Six. They're built like a tank and can be had for decent prices. There are a bunch of them listed on gunbroker now. I picked up a 4" blued a few years back for $360 and love it. If you pick up a blemmished one Ruger will do a work over and reblue for $130. Good Luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replys everyone. I think i do like the rugers i have held a few of the security six and like them. never held a gp 100 but seems like it is the child of the security.?.

Only issue i have with smiths if i cant find an old one then have to worry about taking the locking mech out of them.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Thanks for all the replys everyone. I think i do like the rugers i have held a few of the security six and like them. never held a gp 100 but seems like it is the child of the security.?.

Only issue i have with smiths if i cant find an old one then have to worry about taking the locking mech out of them.
GP100 or security six would be great (I have a GP, my brother has a security six)

for a similar size smith, a 686 is a great gun; 586 if you want it blue instead of stainless.

For a heavier smith, 627 is great. 327 is great, too.

Colts are great.

Don't worry too much about the S&W lock. I haven't removed it from my 327 and it never caused any problems.

Any of those 3 manufacturers will satisfy your needs.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts

Here is a stock photo. Ibought mine in the early 70's for under $200.
That was over a weeks pay back then. Still going strong after all these
years, until my dog ate it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am looking to get my first revolver. I want something in 357 mag, 4 inch barrel and 6 or more rounds. Does anyone have any idea as for what im looking for. Thanks for the help.
There are Three I would recommend, S&W, Colt, Ruger they all make 5 and 6 shot revolvers theres One which I dont recall the name of that makes a 7 shooter as well but I dont recall the name nor would I recommend it as it would be bulky and heavy.
If you want more than a six shooter then you would want a semi auto like the Remington XD Models.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
There are Three I would recommend, S&W, Colt, Ruger they all make 5 and 6 shot revolvers theres One which I dont recall the name of that makes a 7 shooter as well but I dont recall the name nor would I recommend it as it would be bulky and heavy.
If you want more than a six shooter then you would want a semi auto like the Remington XD Models.
S&W makes the 686+ and 386, which are seven shots. Taurus makes an imitation of the 686+.
S&W also makes the 627 and 327, which are 8 shot 357s. Taurus also makes a copy of the 627. I carry the 327PC, which is not heavy at all, but it is somewhat bulky.

I've never heard of a Remington XD model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts