Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I know the whole which rifle should I pick thing has beeb beaten to death. However, I am down to 2 rifles that I am looking at. they are Howa Hogue Package and Savage 11FCXP3 Package in 308. I'm leaning toward the Howa, it's heavier, and I like a heavier gun, but I also really like the savage. I am looking at packages because I waant something I can shoot now, while I figure out a scope, unless I really like the scope the rifle comes with. price is pretty close at my local gun shop, so I am just looking for some input if any of you all have tried either of these rifles.

Thanks

Erik

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have shot both and lean towards the Savage, I really like the accutrigger the Savage uses. My decision is purely on the trigger preference....

·
Registered
416 Posts
It doesn't look like that Savage has the Accutrigger. I bought a Savage package, also without the Accutrigger, from BP in .223 and love the hell out of it. I bought it as an entry-level bolt gun. Cheap to shoot (Armscor 50 round box for $16!). Strictly a range gun, but still great fun.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
They're both established makers with solid histories and you really can't go wrong with either. I might lean ever so slightly toward the Savage because I think the parts/accessory market is a little bit more developed, but unless you're planning on doing some mods it's really not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just checked, the Savage is like $450 at my local Gun Shop, and the Howa, when I was there, was like $500.

I guess for clarity, this will be a range/deer gun.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Out of the box, either should shoot well. But if you ever want to start changing stuff out, the Savage is the clear choice. Barrels are eas to change, and you can adjust the headspace with the barrel nut. Want a different bolt handle? You can take it off and switch it out.

Either would be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of the box, either should shoot well. But if you ever want to start changing stuff out, the Savage is the clear choice. Barrels are eas to change, and you can adjust the headspace with the barrel nut. Want a different bolt handle? You can take it off and switch it out.

Either would be a good choice.
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty much thinking the Savage is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So orders my Savage 11 yesterday. i was wondering, since it does not come with the AccuTrigger, if at a later time I wanted to replace the trigger, how difficult is that to do?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
So orders my Savage 11 yesterday. i was wondering, since it does not come with the AccuTrigger, if at a later time I wanted to replace the trigger, how difficult is that to do?
There are many aftermarket triggers available. Rifle basix is a good one.
Very easy to replace also.

I love my Savage rifles! :D

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are many aftermarket triggers available. Rifle basix is a good one.
Very easy to replace also.

I love my Savage rifles! :D
Thanks!! my idea is buy basic, then make it into what I want it to be

1 - 10 of 10 Posts