Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone shoot this load? I just bought some Prvi Partizan from Serbia in 150 gr FMJBT configuration for my SVD. It is brass cased and supposedly reloadable. Looking for a nice FMJ load that is not corrosive. Anyone know if a SVD can handle a 180 gr round?

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Yes, that is good stuff. Tightens my groups from my SKY M39 by an inch!! The SVD will eat it with no probs, I use it in my Tiger. The only problem I have ever seen with 54r ammo is, well Wolf in anything (I hate that stuff) and 203gr golden bear soft points, some times they wont feed and kick real hard. I recommend a buffer if you use anything above 180gr in a Romanian rifle just because a few have gaps in the rear trunion at the receiver. Other than that treat all non US ammo as corrosive, even though it is stamped as non sometimes they really are. There was a good artical in GUNS magazine about that, some of the rounds were "slightly" corrosive but marked as N/C. You should have a chromed bore and piston, so either way it wouldn't be a problem for you. Just wipe it out with anything containing amonia (windex) and it will neutralize all corrosive properties on contact.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Just a heads up, I've read that you really ought not use the heavy ball weight ammo (174gr +) in an SVD. They say it's inaccurate and beats the action up. Lemme see if I can find where I saw that...

By the way, is this a real Russian or Chinese SVD, or a Romanian PSL?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts