Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good subject heading huh? This is my first post, I would like to get a nice holster(tucker holster) for ccw, but i like to carry from the somalll of my back, and draw with my right hand, it will be a xd sc-9. What are your thoughts on this? Is this a bad place to carry from or not very popular way? Any advice and holster suggestions would be great.
thanks
blake

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
I can't carry SOB while driving, it is uncomfortable and a pain in the ass to get at with a seatbelt on, I prefer cross draw in the truck. Gunners alley has a Fist SOB I think it is # 41A I have one and it is nice.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am no trucker by any means but I sure do a lot of driving if that counts! :lol: I personally do NOT like SOB carry because of a couple reasons.

#1. Comfort - Not comfortable at all while sitting. Let alone driving long distances.
#2. Accessibility - Like Super Trucker said, it's not that easy to draw from that position while sitting. A lot of folks who drive a lot have suggested some type of "seat holster" that would attach to the front of your seat somehow (velcro or straps I would imagine) and would provide you with a pouch in front of you to draw from. Haven't seen one yet tho.
#3. Safety - It's a lot easier for someone to take a hold of your weapon from behind (in your blind spot) - providing they know you are carrying. No personal experience here. I've just always been told and have read that it's not a good idea and I can see why.

Unless you work in a store front of some sort where no one will be behind you for the most part - I wouldn't recommend it.

However, if that is what you are comfortable w/ and you aren't worried about folks sneakin' up on you....go for it!

Not sure if you saw my other post on holsters but I personally use an IWB Highnoon "Hidden Ally" holster for my XD9 Sub. No cant, straight drop. Very comfortable. Inexpensive ($35 bux). Very concealable w/ the 'tuckable' design. Black Cowhide Leather. Designed for the XDSC but my XD40 fits perfectly as well.

And for my XD40 4" Service, I use a Cendex Taylor Nighthawk kydex belt holster. No cant, straight drop. Comfortable, thin, and very high quality. Fits both my Sub & 4" Service fine.

Here are both of the guns holstered....

Hope that helps a little. Good luck and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
29 Posts
blkhawk303 said:
I am no trucker by any means but I sure do a lot of driving if that counts! :lol: I personally do NOT like SOB carry because of a couple reasons.

#1. Comfort - Not comfortable at all while sitting. Let alone driving long distances.
#2. Accessibility - Like Super Trucker said, it's not that easy to draw from that position while sitting. A lot of folks who drive a lot have suggested some type of "seat holster" that would attach to the front of your seat somehow (velcro or straps I would imagine) and would provide you with a pouch in front of you to draw from. Haven't seen one yet tho.
#3. Safety - It's a lot easier for someone to take a hold of your weapon from behind (in your blind spot) - providing they know you are carrying. No personal experience here. I've just always been told and have read that it's not a good idea and I can see why.

Unless you work in a store front of some sort where no one will be behind you for the most part - I wouldn't recommend it.

However, if that is what you are comfortable w/ and you aren't worried about folks sneakin' up on you....go for it!

Not sure if you saw my other post on holsters but I personally use an IWB Highnoon "Hidden Ally" holster for my XD9 Sub. No cant, straight drop. Very comfortable. Inexpensive ($35 bux). Very concealable w/ the 'tuckable' design. Black Cowhide Leather. Designed for the XDSC but my XD40 fits perfectly as well.

And for my XD40 4" Service, I use a Cendex Taylor Nighthawk kydex belt holster. No cant, straight drop. Comfortable, thin, and very high quality. Fits both my Sub & 4" Service fine.

Here are both of the guns holstered....

Hope that helps a little. Good luck and welcome to the board!
Do you carry BOTH left and right side, or are the pics flipped?

Also, what kind of belt are you wearing in the seccond set of pics?

·
Registered
196 Posts
FlyByWire said:
Do you carry BOTH left and right side, or are the pics flipped?

Also, what kind of belt are you wearing in the seccond set of pics?
LOL! I never even noticed but the first set of pics, I had my wife take them. The second set of pics are taken in a mirror so the image is flipped. HAHA! Wish I could say I was cool enough to be ambidextrious (sp?) enough to carry a side arm on either side but sadly, I'm only a righty. Great catch tho. As I said, I didn't even notice! :lol:

The belt is a pretty heavy duty Levi belt but it's still too flimsy for daily carry. Just ordered a 1 1/2 Don Hume trouser gun belt. I'll post pics when I get it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry, when i typed trucker, i meant tucker as in tucker gun holsters, thanks for the good advice

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would recommend against SOB carry for a couple of reasons.
1. It's hard to know if the covering garment has exposed your piece.
2. There have been people with serious back injury from falling and landing on their back with a gun in an SOB holster.
Just my 2c worth.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate(and because i use a FIST #41 SOB for carry) i like SOB. i find it comfortable. since i'm 5'7", IWB OWB is a little to conspicuous on my stature. SOB is the perfect concealment spot for me. also, SNATCHXD, since your a right handed trucker, you can easily use the RH SOB FIST#41 as a crossdraw while you are driving. might be a quickdraw if some tries to get in the cab. I carry a 4" XD9 and i imagine a sub would be even more comfortable for me. Also( just out of curiosity) has anybody on this board ever injured their back by falling and hitting their back right where their SOB holster is located? just wondering. my $.02

·
Registered
381 Posts
I own a DeSantis "Tuck This" IWB concealment holster. It's an ambi holster (I'm a southpaw). I carry crossdraw at 3 o'clock while driving for distances. Strong side at 8 or 9 for day to day walking. And I've carried SOB on RARE occasion when either side wouldn't work. I don't like SOB because of the possibility of falling on it during a struggle. But it's easy to switch between leftie and rightie. Plus, the Tuck This has a spare mag pouch built into the holster. It's easy to draw and reholster my XD-9 SC. And removing the spare mag is quick and convenient. I'm 6'2 190 lbs and can conceal anywhere around my waist in just a t-shirt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool, southy, that is the holster that i am looking at, thanks, but again, i'm not a trucker that was a misstake in the first post

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hve been carring a gun undercover for the last 7 years and tried every way a preson can think of and I will Never cerry small of back.
For one that is a hard way to draw, It is very hard on your back while setting and hard to hide.

Just my .02 cents
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered a brigade gun leather sob for my xd sub back in November. They say 7-8 week delivery, we are now just short of 12 weeks. Not sure if I will ever see it. Has anyone else had any experience with this company?

I have a Galco sob for my Kimber and like it alot. Not very comfortable when driving but really works well for concealed carry with light jacket or sweatshirt.

Beginning to wish I would have ordered a Galco for my XD.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i looked at galco, but no mention of a holter for an xd, or was was it not listed? i think i'm going to go with the fist with the thumb break on it

·
Registered
38 Posts
5'6" 150lbs, xd-9 sc , iwb or pancake, if you carry sob you can't protect your weapon, i'm often at the bar or clubs w/ swmbo and comapny and they (aside from my other half) have no clue i carry. it's very difficult to protect your weapon, and easy for someone who has figued out you carry, to take it, ask the leo forum what they think about sob.... (my $.02)

·
Registered
221 Posts
CRZYBOTR, FYI, in most states it is illegal to carry in bars and clubs and businesses that serve alcohol for consumption on the premicise. i dont know what state your from but it might be worth looking into so you dont get in trouble.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hmmm... allentown pa, not a worry in the city as i have a "good working relationship" w/ the local pd, but interesting for when i'm out of town,

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Ok, I'm going to add my $.04 to the issue of carrying in the back. I say .04, because, as a professional back patient, I have some expertise in that area.

No, I never carried a gun in my back on duty or off, but I wore a sam brown with all 23lbs of stuff for 15yrs while on patrol, along with a notebook in my rear pocket all 27yrs on. Having the 2 handcuff cases and the notebook in my back pocket help screw my back up although there were other factors. I at least carried 2 cases and tried to space them equally, some guys carried a double case right in the center of their back.

My spine surgeon (yup, I said surgeon) said no one should carry anything in that area and especially something that will be putting pressure against your spine.

For those of you who have had your sob holsters for a while and don't have a problem, great. Hopefully you can still say that 5-10yrs down the road. As for me, I'm fused from T12-S1 with titanium hardware bolted in at the top and I'm retired (early) :evil: :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
snatch, i just got a hume from pistol gear for that purpose, i got left handed to draw from right hand. very reasonable for leather holster too. i like it better than the hume pcch iwb i got from gunners ally. it was reasonably priced also. love leather!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts