Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing some (really lots) of wisdom.

My family and I enjoy going for hikes on semi-public trails. The wife is isn't that I carry to protect, but that I do concealed so as not to freak out the kids and others. The gun is a S&W .44 mag with 6.5" bbl. The Uncle Mike holsters just seem to tangle easy. The Safariland is too small. Anyone try carrying a big .44 (or similar length gun) in a Maxpedition Colossus or other bag? It would be nice to be able to carry survival gear for the hike and the big gun for big bears.

Thank you,
Chapie+

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Pretty toughg to conceal a 6.5" large frame rev unless wearing a coat, then any decent shoulder rig works. So the question is what are you protecting yourself from? If you are worried about the very rare animal attack & anti personnel, then buy a 4" 41 or 44mag. Can be carried in a belt rig under a loose shirt. If you are mostly worried about defending yourself against people & dogs, then any service round 9mm & up works well & packs more easily. My trail gun in bear country is a 3" or 4" 44mag or 4 5/8" RBH in 41mag, 44mag or 45colt.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have no opinion on a holster, as I prefer to open carry in the field. My reasoning is that if I need my firearm, I need it NOW. I don't want to be unsnapping and unflapping while the local fauna is chewing on me or my loved ones. If your wife insists on treating sidearms as something children should fear, that's fine, but make sure whatever holster you end up with you practice drawing until you are proficient.

However one thing I would strongly urge is that you carry a decent size canister of bear spray as your first line of defense. Spray works in most cases and saves you from the legal inquisition and potential steep fines that invariably follows the shooting of a predator without a license/ out of season.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no opinion on a holster, as I prefer to open carry in the field. My reasoning is that if I need my firearm, I need it NOW. I don't want to be unsnapping and unflapping while the local fauna is chewing on me or my loved ones. If your wife insists on treating sidearms as something children should fear, that's fine, but make sure whatever holster you end up with you practice drawing until you are proficient.

However one thing I would strongly urge is that you carry a decent size canister of bear spray as your first line of defense. Spray works in most cases and saves you from the legal inquisition and potential steep fines that invariably follows the shooting of a predator without a license/ out of season.
I understand the spray works well under ideal conditions (wind blowing in the right direction or no wind blowing) and such. I think the key there is to have the wife carrying the spray.

As for getting a different gun i.e. one with a shorter barrel - that is too expensive of an option for me. I have the 6.5" gun, so I need to rig for that.

Here is what I found (Sportsman's Warehouse) Versa-Holsters

I still have to wear some sort of jacket / or unbuttoned shirt over it and that works well. It is easy to carry the big gun in it and the draw is fast as well.

Any standard shoulder rig won't work for it - turns out most rigs are for 6" guns not the 6.5". It doesn't seem like that big of a difference, but I have found (after trying a Safariland and Galco) that the 6.5 doesn't work right in the 6" rig. I called Galco too and they confirmed it. I considered the Bianchi X15, but got the Crossfire Versatuck for half the cost of the Bianchi. I think the Bianchi is a great rig, but the other was right there. I like the 9mm for shooting, but not for brown or black bears.

Anyone carry a 10mm (Glock 20 or 29) for bears?

Chapie+

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone carry a 10mm (Glock 20 or 29) for bears?

Chapie+
I need to rephrase that question - I know there are folks who carry the Glock 20 10mm for bears. Others have the smaller Glock 29 10mm for the same purpose. (As an aside, I still wish Springfield would make an XD or XDM in 10mm.)

Anyway, I'm set on the holster. Thank you for your help.

Chapie+

·
Registered
486 Posts
That's a really big gun to keep concealed while hiking. I would suggest a shoulder rig where the gun is held vertically. The downside is that if it gets hot, you won't be able to take your cover garment off.

·
Premium Member
24,884 Posts
Hi Frenchy

I had never heard of them. Thank you.

Chapie+
I've just purchased a holster from them for my Blackhawk. I've heard great things about their quality.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Tell your wife to put her big girl panties on, and it's time the kids to learn about guns safety from a responsible gun owner.

I have always had a gun on my hip, and my 2 & 4 yr olds don't freak out. It's just as much a part of dad as a ball cap or sunglasses. They actually take note when I'm not open carrying.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Tell your wife to put her bug girl panties on, and it's time the kids to learn about guns safety from a responsible gun owner.

I have always had a gun on my hip, and my 2 & 4 yr olds don't freak out. It's just as much a part of dad as a ball cap or sunglasses. They actually take note when I'm not open carrying.
It's not about our kids - they have shot and they are actually good shots. It's about hiking on public trails and not having other folks (i.e. liberals) freak out and call 911 and create a great big mess. In other words, it is more about why many of us carry concealed vs open carry. It makes sense to me as well. Open carry is for work.

Chapie+

ps No more references to my wife's panties being big or bug or whatever : - )

·
Registered
339 Posts
If people freak out about someone carrying a gun on a hiking trail in the woods that is there own problem as far as I am concerned. That aside, good luck finding a holster that will hide it, like you said most of the shoulder rigs are for 6" guns.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If people freak out about someone carrying a gun on a hiking trail in the woods that is there own problem as far as I am concerned. That aside, good luck finding a holster that will hide it, like you said most of the shoulder rigs are for 6" guns.
Carrying concealed is the best option - hence its popularity.

And there is an option that might just work. I'll let you know.

Chapie+

·
Registered
224 Posts
Advice: for consealed carry, CARRY A SMALLER GUN! LOL :razz:

just couldnt resist! sorry, but good to see you found something that will work!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It's not about our kids - they have shot and they are actually good shots. It's about hiking on public trails and not having other folks (i.e. liberals) freak out and call 911 and create a great big mess. In other words, it is more about why many of us carry concealed vs open carry. It makes sense to me as well. Open carry is for work.

Chapie+

ps No more references to my wife's panties being big or bug or whatever : - )
Sorry, we pretty much tell everyone who is whining to "put on your big girl panties, and suck it up".

As far as I'm concerned hiking is work! LOL

The fractions of seconds it takes to get a weapon(especially that size) from concealment could make the difference between whether or not a bear/cougar snatches one of my kids.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, we pretty much tell everyone who is whining to "put on your big girl panties, and suck it up".

As far as I'm concerned hiking is work! LOL

The fractions of seconds it takes to get a weapon(especially that size) from concealment could make the difference between whether or not a bear/cougar snatches one of my kids.
The real question is would they raise the child - I prefer for the kids to be raised by wolves

: - )

So it's still a pain to carry the big gun. I ought to get a Glock 20. In reality a 12 ga with slugs and buckshot is the best for big bears at close range. Actually, scratch that. The best thing is to not be on the bear's dinner menu :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts