Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for any advice in advance, I just installed a new PRP easy match trigger system. Got everything filed and fitted, Or so I thought, Totally different trigger pull. Upon completion , I was dry firing, Slid the slide back, engaged everything, Pulled the trigger and click, seemed like everything was working just fine, Nice and tight. The problem I am having it after you pull trigger back to release firing pin and let finger out to feel/hear reset, There is no reset. The trigget goes all the way back out, I got it to actually reset a couple of times, But about 1 out of 4 the trigger just went back out without actually feeling the trigger reset. Which is not that far anymore do to new trigger assembly, But the trigger pulls back again for another click, Etc, etc,.
So took it to range yesterday to try it out, put clip in, cycled a round,pulled the trigger back, Which felt nice by the way, and got a bang, bullet went down range, cycled fine for about two more shots, Then stopped resetting. I would have to manipulate the slide to chamber another round, After pulling the trigger and firing a shot as I was letting my figer back out the trigger would not get to a reset point, It was almost as if the trigger was not going back out far enough to reset.
What did I do wrong? Is there something that needs more adjusting, But before I go and tear this thing down somebody might have an easy solution as to knowing what my problem is, Besides sending to Smith, HaHa. Did I miss a fitting of a small piece while installing. There was very little reset to begin with. What adjustments do I need to do to give it a longer reset?

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
This sounds like what happened to me when i installed mine. I took it to the range and it would fire then the next round i would get light primmer strike i also wondered if i had done something wrong. At first i thought i was the ammo but then after i had like ten light primmer strikes i figured that it must be something other then the ammo. To remedy my problem i had to sand a little more off the back of the trigger over travel stop as i like you suggested i don't think it was traveling far enough to initiate a full reset of the trigger. After doing this at my next range visit and now hundreds of rounds later i have not had any issues. It is also possible that you may have to take a little material off the reset disconnect tab on the striker safety lever to ensure that it resets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
PRP trigger that comes in our ultimate line of trigger kits. It is designed to work in conjunction with our striker safety lever. We do not recommended that you buy this part as a stand alone item. The only reason that it is listed this way is so that people can upgrade from the old style over travel stop on line. This part is over sized and will need to be fit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stewyish,

In what model of XD or Xdm did you install the PRP trigger?

Before you file on the safety lever, check to see how much free play it has. It should be tight and unable to move up or down. If it has some wiggle room, it will move back ever so slightly when the trigger resets giving you an inconsistent or no reset. One way to solve this is to file the small triangle on the safety lever as in the videos that PRP has produced. The other way is to remove the free play so that the safety lever can not move backward on the trigger bar. I found that on my XD 9 sc there is more free space in the frame behind the sear that allowed the safety lever to move backward about 1-2mm that was not present on my XD 45 tac. I filled in that small void with a little epoxy and 500+ rounds later I have had no problems with reset or firing.

This is not a fix for the faint of heart, you could cause more harm then good if you are not absolutely clear on what you are "fixing". I am only offering up this suggestion as an alternative you may want to check and if you feel at all uncomfortable about it, you can always send it in to PRP and I am sure they will help you out.

If the safety lever has free play, filing the triangle as in the video may solve the reset issue, but your reset will feel mushy and lack that crisp consistent feel that we want and expect from a PRP trigger.

I am not a gunsmith, I don't even play one on TV. But I do all my own work on my guns and I am very happy with how they perform. YMMV

Cloner

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sounds like you may need to fille down very lightly on the striker safety lever. Here is a very good video of an install. Your issue is near the end, but I would watch the whole video.

Are you also having issues with fitting a thumb safety on your Kimber?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help guys, the little bit needed to come off the striker safety lever. I had seen that in the install but it looked like there was not much there to start with so I must have thought that may be this one will fit. I tore it down filled a little off and even took a little bit more off the over travel stop and put this thing back together. It is night and day difference, I probably could have taken a little more off the striker lever but this thing its tight, No slop what so ever. I will take it to the range, shoot a few mags and see if it is to tight, I might want a little bit of play. I am so used to my 3.5lb trigger pull on my 1911's that this will be similar.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts