Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im needin some help on deciding what to do for deer season this year.

im between setting up my AR-15 for a dedicated hunting rig and just buying another rifle. i hunted with the AR last season two times but didnt have any luck so i couldnt try it out. i know placement will be key with .223/5.56 so ill replace the red dot with an actual scope, and lighten up the rails.

but given the calculated cost of my desired changes it would be in the $200ish range, and for a little more i could just get a used marlin 30-30 and have the knock down.

ive read the .223 for deer thread up and down and know what to expect when hunting with the AR, im just wonderin if i should change it up or get a new gun...

input please

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would not use a .223 for deer hunting. In fact, they are not even legal for deer in my state. The .30-30 is a fine deer rifle, but if you plan on shooting further than 100 yards I would get a good bolt action in .270 or .30-06 and never look back.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
.458 socom upper receiver?
That would be more expensive than a good bolt action rifle and be a poorer hunting round. I suggested the 300aac since it only requires a new barrel. The rest of the upper and the mags remain unchanged. I also think it should be a better deer round than the 458socom.

even with as much as I am talking up the 300aac, Id still go with a bolt action (not a huge fan of the 30-30, but it is enough and certainly much better than the .223) unless you really like the AR platform. One benefit to that is you could keep the current AR as a back-up. I also think it could be cheaper too.

For deer hunting in general, I like the 243, 270win or 308 and prefer the last 2 over the 243.

If you are real dollar sensitive, I'd go with a Moisin.

·
Registered
892 Posts
+1 for the .270. It is a great all around... round.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If price is a real issue I would recomend the Mossberg rifles, one can be had for about $250 without scope and as low as $300 with a exiled package. The Savage Edge will run you a little more. If you aNy to spend a little more the Weatherby Vanguard, Howa M1500, and Savage 111 are all really good. They are in the $400 range and in my opinion offer the best values in the rifle market.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would not use a .223 for deer hunting. ....... The .30-30 is a fine deer rifle, but if you plan on shooting further than 100 yards I would get a good bolt action in .270 or .30-06 and never look back.
+1

Look in your classified newspaper ads or at the pawn/used gun shops. You can usually find a decent bolt action with a cheap scope (to upgrade later) for under $300. You just have to take a few days and shop around. Try to stick away from anything smaller then the 270/.30-06 calibers. You'll be much happier in the long run due to resale value if you ever plan to sell.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea price is a factor, but i use to have an old single shot .270 that i used to kill my first deer from 200ish yards off of my back porch haha! and here's the kicker...last year i had a marlin .308 but got rid of it to fund my AR...and now ive come full circle...again. but i mean at the time i didnt have a place to hunt and being almost 5 hours from home it wasnt like i could drive back home every weekend to hunt so i felt i didnt need them.

but now a buddy of mine has gotten the ok for us to hunt at his family's place. Its in north ga somewhere (havent been yet) but he says the shots COULD deffinently be over 100 yards, so i probably will go with a cheap or used bolt gun with a BUDGET optic...since i have had experiance with both .270 and .308 ill prob stick between the two, i loved both rounds and both killed with no problem. so i got my buddy lookin out for somethin used at their shop...but im going to look into the mossberg rifles.

ill really be able to give you guys more feedback when i actually see where we will be hunting also...so stay tuned please and thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Agreed! or a .243 if your like.
Absolutely, .243 is also very good. My centerfire rifles are limited to .30-06, .270, .270 WBY Mag, and .32 Win Special. I would love an excuse to get a .243 but I don't need one. It is a very sweet shooting caliber for sure.

To the OP, as far as budget optics go, I have a few recomendations. If it is in your price range, a Redfield 3x9 with 40mm objectives can be had for between $150 and $200 and will be all the scope you ever need. For the money these are the best scolded out there in my opinion.

If you want to go real cheap but get a scope that is still useful, look into BSA. My dad has one on an old Remington Woodsmaster '06 that has been a pretty decent scope. It is really bright for the price, keeps its zero, and has decent adjustments. He has hunted that rifle and scope combo off and on for the last 15 years. The reviews on this link are not great but when you compare its brighteness to a Leupold that costs 3 times as much you are missing the point. It's a reasonable scope at a bargain basement price. I would also recomend going with a 50mm objective as opposed to a 40 on a cheap scope. The glass is not as good and the bigger lenses helps compensate for this deficiency.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bsa-opt...0-w-illuminated-rgb-reticle-cat3510x50rg.html

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Where I live in Kansas we don't consider an AR-15 as a deer rifle or or as any other hunting apporiate rifle. I recommend you get some kind of bolt rifle or a lever rifle for hunting purposes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I find ARs in .223 to be appropriate for coyotes and other varmits. ARs are made in various calibers that fit the requirements of other game as well. Speaking of the .223 in general, the only big game I would consider hunting with one is Cougar. As long as a rifle is of an appropriate caliber for the game being hunted and it conforms to all state regulations regarding hunting equipment, I don't see how it could be deemed inappropriate.

I prefer bolt action rifles in long action calibers with variable power scopes (3x9, 3.5x10, 4x12, etc), but that is based on my preference, how, and where I hunt. I hunt wheatfields and th patches of woods in the Blue Mountain foothills of Southeastern Washington. There are other rifle and scope combos that will perform equally well for other hunters, their method of hunting, and their region's landscape. Who am I to tell someone their hunting rifle choice is inappropriate?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea ill be in mountainous terrain, with moderatly dense brush so i thought about it and i wouldnt trust .223 in that. ive narrowed my choices down to marlinxs7, mossberg whatever its called, and marlin 336

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've killed several whitetail with an old Remington .222. The .223 in some sort of expanding round will be able to get the job done.

That being said, prepare to walk through the woods quite a ways to find the deer.

I've had very good luck with my Remington 700 in 25-06, no deer has gone more than 20 yards.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've killed several whitetail with an old Remington .222. The .223 in some sort of expanding round will be able to get the job done.

That being said, prepare to walk through the woods quite a ways to find the deer.

I've had very good luck with my Remington 700 in 25-06, no deer has gone more than 20 yards.
The .25-06 is another cartridge I would like to own a rifle for. This cartridge is almost always overlooked and that's a pity because it is an excellent deer cartridge.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just read an article online about the 25-06, i have never heard nor seen that round that i know of, but it seems like a pretty solid caliber. is the ammo common? as in easy to find and relatively priced compared to other deerish rounds? and i saw where it was compared to a .270, that sound about right?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had no trouble finding it at walmart, academy, and bass pro.

If for whatever reason those places don't have it, I'm sure a local gun store either has it, or can get it for you. If all else fails you can get it online.

I'm not one to get into a big caliber debate, I only got it because my dad told me it kicked less than his 30-06 when I was 14.

Now that I have it I'm glad I do, it shoots very flat, and I can just aim a bit above where I want to hit at some of the longer roads on my ranch.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It is pretty easy to find, Walmart always has a few boxes. Price wise it runs about the same as '06 or .270. Just in case you didn't know, the .270 and the .25-06 are both based on the .30-06 case, both are simply necked down '06 brass. When I was a kid my dad would neckdown and reload the brass from his .30-06 Remington 740 autoloader for our .270s as the 740 would not shoot reloads of any kind.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is pretty easy to find, Walmart always has a few boxes. Price wise it runs about the same as '06 or .270. Just in case you didn't know, the .270 and the .25-06 are both based on the .30-06 case, both are simply necked down '06 brass. When I was a kid my dad would neckdown and reload the brass from his .30-06 Remington 740 autoloader for our .270s as the 740 would not shoot reloads of any kind.
i did not know that about the .270 but ive always thought they looked similar. i just have never heard of this caliber so ive never thought to look for it in stores, but im really going to look more into this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts