Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received my Crossbreed Super Tuck in the mail and have since been trying to get it to fit properly. The problem is the bottom of the grip, it sticks out no matter what I try. I have tried the holster in various locations and angled the gun as far forward as I can with the holster adjustments but it still prints. I normally wear L-XL shirts so I have been using the XL shirts. I thought about going to 2XL but that would look awfully but on me and since I don’t own any I would have to buy all new shirts. I have included some pics below, does anyone have any tips or suggestions that might help me here.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Not to be a smarty, but try looser shirts that drape nicely. You may also have to drift if forward. I have a Supertuck, and heavier than you, but can still conceal the firearm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. If bigger shirts are what it takes then I'll have to do that but I mentioned the reasons I was hoping for a different solution in my post.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I'd try moving it back to about 4 o'clock on your waist.
It is sitting at 3 o'clock now.
Just try to move back around your waist 2 or so inches.
And maybe adjust the clips so you have a more forward cant.
Being the gun sits at more of an angle to where the grip sticks up, instead of out.
Raise the front clip and lower the back clip.

If all else fails call or email Crossbreed directly.
Their customer service is top notch...........:mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Thanks for the response. If bigger shirts are what it takes then I'll have to do that but I mentioned the reasons I was hoping for a different solution in my post.
My wife wears tighter shirts to show her nicer boobs :mrgreen:. To hide something large under a shirt generally requires a non-fitting shirt. It just is.

You may choose a different style vice a different size. I find the micro fiber button down ss shirts (George brand) from wal mart drape great and don't hang up on my pistols.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Exactly.

You're definitely printing BIG time. You're straight "up-n-down", which is a terrible place for your firearm, not only for concealability, but also for a concealed tactical draw.

Again, not being a smart ass here, but I currently carry a full-size firearm OUTside my waistband and print waaaaaay less than you. Honestly, it's not so much about what you carry, but how you carry. You can see in your own pics it's not the barrel you have to worry about concealing, it's the grip.

My rig has a pretty extreme forward cant and I normally wear at the 4 o'clock position. I have yet for anyone to call me on it when I conceal carry (unless they already know me and know I carry), and it's the perfect spot on my hip for my type of draw.

Also bare in mind that you can have the best carry rig on the planet, but if your belt's a POS, then your draw is going to suffer.

These are just things you have to experiment with/practice to get what's most comfortable for you, but should certainly help point you in the right direction ;) .

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Exactly.

Also bare in mind that you can have the best carry rig on the planet, but if your belt's a POS, then your draw is going to suffer.
True. I do wear a Beltman belt. Before I made the expenditure for a great belt, I didn't understand what difference it makes. It won't help your printing, but it will make the gun much more comfortable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I love being a rocket scientist! I had adjusted the cant when I got the holster to do what you were suggesting but in a moment of true genius I did it backwards. After correcting my little error the visibility of the gun was reduced significantly. Thanks for the help.

Again, not being a smart ass here, but I currently carry a full-size firearm OUTside my waistband and print waaaaaay less than you. Honestly, it's not so much about what you carry, but how you carry. You can see in your own pics it's not the barrel you have to worry about concealing, it's the grip.
Yes I know I'm printing waaaaaay to much that's kinda the reason I started this thread and I know it was the grip and not the barrel, I stated that in my original post. Not knocking your advice I really do appreciate it, I'm just saying...:rolleyes:

P.S. That giant mount of hair behind me is my St. Bernard Boomer. He got tired of being woken up by the flash so he came over to give me a hard time.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
BLUF is that shirt won't work. Take it from a fatter white guy with no butt! LMAO! (If I had one).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BLUF is that shirt won't work. Take it from a fatter white guy with no butt! LMAO! (If I had one).
Really? I didn't think it looked that bad in that last set of pics. 2XL T-shirts just look too big on me, at least they used to. Maybe I've gotten fatter since I tried one on last, but if I do need move up to 2XL it's going to suck because it will mean buying all new T-shirts and tossing the old ones. :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can also try more cant, and set the gun lower in your waistband. It looks like you can drop it down some, and still be able to get a full combat grip.

Here is my 1911, and though the gun is a bit bigger, i have no problems concealing it.

Since this picture was taken, I have modified the holster to allow a more complete combat grip. I have also removed the mag well and the mag in the gun does not have the pad on it. The length of the grip decreased by 1/2-inch, making it easier to conceal.

Walker

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I wear my more towards the back, about where the Levi's patch is. I also PULL MY PANTS UP so that the grip get tilted into the small of my back. That eliminates any printing of the grip but it does produce a bulge from the holster above the back pocket that a good cop could spot. Keeping a notebook in that pocket helps mask that and it also helps greatly with CRS (can't remember sh!t), an age related syndrome.

Anyhow, play around with position and cant and look for a postion that tips the grip into your body where your clothing normally hangs loose.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Yep, I have tried several positions so I don't print. Because of my spare tire, IWB at 3 position sucks for me. However, Since it winter time and I wear a big jacket, I use OWB at 3 position with no problem. Then I found with a XL shirt, I can use a IWB at 6 and no one noticed. It wasn't til my wife gave me a hug til she found out that I had it on me. I carry a 40 service model, so I had to try different positions...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yep, I have tried several positions so I don't print. Because of my spare tire, IWB at 3 position sucks for me. However, Since it winter time and I wear a big jacket, I use OWB at 3 position with no problem. Then I found with a XL shirt, I can use a IWB at 6 and no one noticed. It wasn't til my wife gave me a hug til she found out that I had it on me. I carry a 40 service model, so I had to try different positions...

I'm sure some might argue differently, but a carry position of 6 o'clock or SOB isn't ideal because it's an indefensible position. In theory, someone could walk up behind you and take your gun from you a whole lot easier than any other carry position. No sense in giving the BG a little bit of an advantage over you. ;) Just my $0.02!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Glad you worked it out Netskimmer.
As others stated a good Gun belt will help as well.
It helps a bit with IWB, but it is essential for an OWB holster.
Crossbreed makes belts.
belt
And follow the size measuring instructions carefully if you decide to get one.
I wear 38 inch jeans, but my belt size was 41 inches...........:rolleyes:

I also wear a 5 stitch Original Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical.
- Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
My initial thought after seeing those pics is to carry a subcompact or a compact. The grip on a Service is not the easiest thing to conceal.

Second is to set the pistol lower with respect to your belt line. This will reduce the tendency of the pistol to lean outward.

Also, get a wider belt like what Walker posted. I use 1.75" belts. They support better.

I'm not a fan of forward cant when carrying at 3:00. It makes the draw really awkward. If I throw my elbow backwards, I have to turn my wrist down to grab the pistol. Forward cant means I have to turn my wrist way down past what's natural to grab the pistol.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Really? I didn't think it looked that bad in that last set of pics. 2XL T-shirts just look too big on me, at least they used to. Maybe I've gotten fatter since I tried one on last, but if I do need move up to 2XL it's going to suck because it will mean buying all new T-shirts and tossing the old ones. :(

...or you could just send them to me... ;)

In all seriousness, I'm really new to the conceal/carry application, and I recently ordered a crossbreed supertuck for my XD 9mm sub compact, but also ordered their belt to go with it.

I noticed that you are wearing a woven belt. All of the research I've done strongly suggests NOT wearing this type of belt for ANY carry purposes. Just a thought, but it might help the conceal factor if you upgrade your belt also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The best shirts that I have seen for CC are Hawaiian style button ups (style not pattern). They also can be pulled up and away from the weapon quickly with the non gun hand for a fast, snag free draw. This was confirmed when I few some JPATS flights with the Marshals service, and they where wearing the exact same shirts that I did. Yes they carry concealed too.

Here's one example (no gun)

Another with my wife (no gun, damn Mexican Laws)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts