Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

A new president that I don't know who voted for... anyway..... I am faced with a few things and I need some help making a decision.

I have several .45 pistols, a .40 caliber pistol, a 9mm and 22 caliber pistol... all with lots of ammo.

The only long arm I have is a lever-action 30-30.

The AWB is coming...... right now an evil black rifle is too much for me to afford, so no AR and the AK's are gone in my area.

I do have the chance to buy a very nice Ruger Mini-14... with Flash supressor and bayonet lug....... anyway..... I know they do not have the greatest accuracy past 100 yards, especially when heated up... but hey... it comes with 2 30 round magazines and it's almost new... and less than the 1911 that I was considering buying.... alot less...

Should I get this GUN because I dont' have an assault weapon for my family in case something happens??? Please respond........

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would say that you could probably find an AK for less than a used mini 14 thats in as good condition as you say. In any case though, I've always had good experiences with mini 14's (albeit fairly limited). The ones that I've shot are not as accurate as most AR's, but they are certainly accurate enough. I would try to get a few more mags for it, 2 hardly seems adequate. 5 would be decent, but 10 is a good round number.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Per the definition ... You never will have an assault rifle unless you join LE or the Military;)

I'd keep saving and buy an AR if that's what you want.
Nothing will happen immediately.

Prices might go up slightly, but not drastically until they start contemplating legislation. Right now peope are making knee-jerk purchases.

If my hunch is wrong, and they pass something shortly after he is sworn in ... Sorry!!
Just don't blame me ... I voted against him:mrgreen:

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
how much are they asking for the mini 14?

Saiga .223 Rifle with Thumbhole Stock
i just ordered this brand new .... no used parts, not a rebuild. All new from factory in mother russia for the low low sum of $319 +20 shipping+ $20 ffl transfer.

you can get one even cheaper for $299 for the sporter monte carlo type stock.

i thought for $20 more i would try this stock, and if its not balanced well, i would take off and put on a ace stock which is gonna cost half as much as the gun itself lol.

this is allot of gun for $360

·
Registered
341 Posts
People are definately over reacting, but it is what it is. My suggestion is to buy what you can get ammo for. Not only are people snapping up the AK's, and AR's, but they are buying all the ammo they can. Prices are going up based on the demand, so I don't see prices or supply coming back any time in the near future.

Just a suggestion, what about a 12 ga.? They are relatively inexpensive, ammo is still available. I kinda built my collection around the basics, and as more money became availabe I would ammo up each gun purchase before I bought another one.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
I say yes. Mine has been perfectly reliable, fun to shoot, easy easy to clean, and accurate "enough" for hitting specs in the dirt at 100 yards+.

You will not regreat it.

Now, hurry up!

Oh, order some of the Factory 20 round mags. They might be on back order but it is possible the 30 rounders that come with it, were giving the previous owner problems, just a thought.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I'm kind of in the same position. Have several pistols, shotgun, 30.06 Remington, but no ugly guns. Been spending the hell out of money lately trying to stock up among other things so money's a little tight at the moment. Been thinking of buying a stripped lower and just sitting on it until I can do the build or getting a Saiga or other inexpensive AK clone. Since this is addressing the OP your suggestions to him will probably answer my questions too.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
We don't know the price, but if it isn't bad then I would jump on the deal. At least you will have a good SHTF rifle and when (notice I didn't say if?) the next AWB is passed you will at least have one that will only be worth more than you probably paid for it.

In fact.......buy it and buy ammo. Then try to save a little until the next ban is passed. If you still want an AR, you may be able to then sell the Mini and use whatever you get to put towards the AR.

Either way..............I say "BUY".

·
Registered
809 Posts
my .02 try geting an AK first cheaper that an AR right now and ammo is very cheap for now any way and the good thing about an AK is you can use very crap ammo like WOLF and it will still go boom all the time

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The only worry I have about an AK is would 7.62x39 be on the ammo hit list. An AR can fire an endless supply of .223, but what else besides an SKS uses 7.62x39 and is widely available?

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT fall into the 'gun craze' trap and spend all your money on a rifle that you think might be banned. If you find what you like and can afford it, great, but don't pay a profiteer too much money for a rifle.

I've lived through several of these 'gun ban fads' and that's what they are.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The only worry I have about an AK is would 7.62x39 be on the ammo hit list. An AR can fire an endless supply of .223, but what else besides an SKS uses 7.62x39 and is widely available?
Don't think they could ban ammo for a legal firearm. That would bring on a sh*t storm of lawsuits. Besides, they didn't try it last time.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Don't think they could ban ammo for a legal firearm. That would bring on a sh*t storm of lawsuits. Besides, they didn't try it last time.
Maybe not, but they could inflate the cost by making manufacturers serialize every single round and then wal-mart will have to take the time to document and then people will start stealing ammo, anyway, it could get out of control price wise.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
They are currently trying it, and it is a separate issue from any gun ban legislation.

It's back... this time encoded Ammunition bill PA (PV)

ATTENTION, Bullet Serialization (Registration) Scheme

Fortunately it is being opposed at the state level, and the NRA is very aware of such tactics.

However, if such legislation ever becomes law ... Ammo manufacturers say ... 22LR will be impractical to produce and 9mm will end up costing dollars per round.

Also, Microstamping is another idea that has passed in California ... In another year or two ... Semi-Auto handguns will only be available used in that state. The technology does not exist to effectively incorporate it in a cost effective way ... If they did, the limited demand would probably have an XD costing many thousands of dollars.
kalifornia microstamping boycott anyone?!

Kalifornia Gun Owners, Take notice of this!!

Micro Stamping Law Passed in California - (PV)

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
They are the government, they can ban anything they want, lawsuits be damned. Everyone seems to think that the people still have a voice in this nation political process, guess what=we don't.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I heard they may go after the ammo because of the "environmentally unfriendly lead". If they do I wouldn't be shocked if they throw it in at the end of some energy bill. They are going after us a few different ways this time and they will be sneaky doing it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I don't know the price of the mini, but I'd probably try to find a cheap AK instead. I've never shot a mini-14, but is sounds like accuracy wise it's not much better than an AK, where (typically) AKs are much more reliable. Not to mention magazines and ammo are a bit cheaper. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's a question of "is the weapon a ranch model?" I have a recent purchase of a new mini 14, the rear sight is no longer a cheap flip up bb gun sight, and it shoots on par with my carbine at 100 yards, even after a 30 round bump fire session. Easy to disassemble and clean. Fun to shoot. About $600 new, $4-450 used. Just make sure you don't get the mickey mouse rear sight as this will end up pissing you off.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Money is a little tight for me too right now so I have just ordered another Nodak Spud NDS3 AK receiver and will be ordering an AR receiver too. These are inexpensive and are the only controlled part of the weapon. This way I can finish the builds when I can afford the rest of the parts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts