Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like info from you guys, and i hope these arent stupid questions. I want to know what all is needed to start reloading. The only rounds i would be doing for now are 9mm, 40, .308.. What do you guys recommend especially for the xdm-40? Do you think there is a large savings in the material by reloading over buying at the store and if so how much approximately. any help appreciated thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always been known to buy very good equipment so a cost effective set up and a highend setup would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
I have never bought a single-stage press so I shouldn't recommend one. I went with the Hornady Lock 'n Load AP progressive press. This includes 1000 free bullets. Also you will need

-scale (frankford arsenal digital scale is a good, cheap choice)
-calipers (frankford arsenal again)
-tumbler, media, media separator (frankford, again)
-shell plate for each caliber
-dies
-powder
-primers
-bullet puller
-empty brass (you probably have this)
-taper/factory crimp die (optional)

If I think of anything I forgot I'll add it later. Also for rifle ammo you will need case lube and a trimmer w/ length gauge for the caliber

MidwayUSA is a good source for this stuff, I bought everything there

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Let's not forget buying a good loading manual and learning/understanding what's going on at each step thoroughly before even putting a penny down on any equipment. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are going to shoot alot [1k a week or so], a progessive loader is needed. The folks here generally use Dillon [I am very happy with a 650], but Hornady makes a very good progressive loader. A full on set up with case feeder, smart base, bullet tray, and rolling hanlde will cost about $1K. You won't regret the investment if you shoot alot. If you don't expect to shoot that much, then you are probably money ahead buying a less involved sytem and spending the money on components. Go to Brian Enos' site for details.

I echo the need for a good loading manual, and suggest you get several for comparision. Also a good scale and calipers, digital if you can afford.

Have fun. Be safe.

·
Registered
398 Posts
$$$$ are pretty tight for me right now.

What do you people think of the Lee Progressive? Much cheaper than either Dillon or Hornady and so far I have not found any bads comments on them.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
i would like info from you guys, and i hope these arent stupid questions. I want to know what all is needed to start reloading. The only rounds i would be doing for now are 9mm, 40, .308.. What do you guys recommend especially for the xdm-40? Do you think there is a large savings in the material by reloading over buying at the store and if so how much approximately. any help appreciated thanks
There's a forum that this question is answered almost every evening: The Ammo Can - XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source!
:and one specifically for you Lee Loaders: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/56881-lee-pro-1000-set-up-tutorial-sticky.html
For "newbe's": http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/28387-getting-started-reloading.html
All right here on XDTALK!

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
I would not go with the progressive, but the turret press to start. I have not heard too many good things about the lee pro 1000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts