Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all im new to the forum and am interested in getting an XD Service model. I wanted some advice on this gun. I was wondering if i should get it regularly or the ported on. Which one would be better and what would be the advantages. Also what calibre do you guys think i should get. Should i go 357 Sig. or 40. Cal. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Welcome to XD Land! :twisted:

Get the .40 bro, the ammo is cheaper and easier to find. Plus, for $150 you can get at 357 Sig Barrel from PistolGear.com and VIOLA!! Two pistols in one!

Ports are good for target shooting and fun, but if you plan to carry they may not be a good idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would a Ported model not be a good idea if you want to carry it. Sorry for the question but im new to this and want as much info as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
If you are forced to fire it at night or in extreme low light conditions, the flash from the ported barrel will cause temporary night blindness. Also, in close combat situations, the gun will most likely be fired close to your body. Metal fragments tend to come out of the porting and probably wouldn't feel good in your skin. I would get a regular .40, and buy for it a ported 9mm barrel (aftermarket barrels are made that let you chamber different rounds in certian XDs). You can get the aftermarket barrel ported, and it will extend past the slide with porting. I hope to have one someday! By the way, Welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
40 for plinking, .357 sig for defense.

If I had the funds to do it over, I personally would buy the stock .357 sig, and then get a aftermarket 40 cal barrel for the plinkin at the range

Just me. Just seems with my 1yr on the board that the .357 sig guns have a tad better reliability. It is no stopping you from doing it the other way around, your personal preference I guess.

No FUNDS? Probably stick with the xd-40 for plinking/defense

p.s. I love my new sig 229 .357 :) with a little tweaking, it will replace my XD for defense

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to jack the thread but why not stick with the .40 for defense, NEXD?
In your experience, is the .357 sig that much better in ballistics, reliability, or accuracy?

Not trying to bicker, genuinely curious. :wink:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't get ported. Get the 357 sig. I have owned five XD's in all three calibers and the 357 is the only one that has been 100% reliable with every brand of ammo I have used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the price difference from 357 Sig. to 40.Cal ammo. Which is more expensive and are both as easy to find and purchase. Thank you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Punisher said:
What is the price difference from 357 Sig. to 40.Cal ammo. Which is more expensive and are both as easy to find and purchase. Thank you.
Depending on where you get your ammo, 357 is generally 3-6 bucks more a box and somewhat more difficult to find. I can get WWB for 17 bucks in some places and 14 in others. Cabela's sells bulk reloads for around 12 a box with shipping. You will find 40 cal alot easier to find and easier on the wallet, but I would not trade the reliability of the 357 for any other round.

Arguments both ways aside, I would own multiple guns in that caliber than multiple calibers, it is just the round for me. I am thinking of following in NExd's footsteps and purchasing a Sig if I can find a deal like the one he got, but Springfield built a great gun around that caliber and I would not trade it, at this point, for any other.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Son of Norway said:
For defense, the .40 SW is a better one-shot stopper than the 9MM or the .357 Sig.

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm
There's no such thing as a reliable one-shot stop. Shoot them until they stop moving. Then finish emptying the mag.

That's why the magazine holds 10-15 rounds. Not so you can stop 10-15 people.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
BBunin said:
Son of Norway said:
For defense, the .40 SW is a better one-shot stopper than the 9MM or the .357 Sig.

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm
There's no such thing as a reliable one-shot stop. Shoot them until they stop moving. Then finish emptying the mag.

That's why the magazine holds 10-15 rounds. Not so you can stop 10-15 people.
I understand that, but the fact that one .40 slug has a 90%+ chance of stopping your enemy gives me a nice boost of confidence. :wink:

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
CALIBER WARS.......AGAIN? :shock:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I own a .40 so I'm not bias towards the 357 sig, but everything I've read states that despite the smaller projectile the 357 sig generates more energy and damage on impact than the .40, not less. Concerning the ported issue, I had the same questions about it when I was deciding rather or not to buy one and I talked extensively with an officer responsible for training and decision making on weapons to be bought and issued by his dept. to several hundred officers. He explained to me that despite the general assumption that a ported weapon makes more flash and blinds you at night, he discovered after trying them out for his dept. that because of the ports directing the flash in 3 different directions instead of just one huge fireball coming out the front the muzzle flash is less intense and not as blinding. It really does make sense when you think about it. as far as burns and debris to yourself from the ports, he talked about that with me too. You simply need to angle the top of the pistol away from you a bit when for example firing from a tucked under the arm position, which many have found feels better anyway from this position. In the end it's your choice, but don't be scared of the ported.

·
Registered
137 Posts
my .02;
from officer involved shootings, the 357 seems to have a slight edge over the 40.
but it still is all about shot placement!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as far as porting, it was originally started by ppc shooters in the late 50's or 60's to tame recoil and let you get back on target quicker.
for tactical fire fights i don't think you will be able to notice the diff.
it makes a lot more noise and decreases the volicity. any change in volicity causes a change in impact enegry by a factor of 4.
your eyes have reaction time which is slow when compaired to the time
duration of the flash, therefore the effect on your vision is realitive small.
the flash just happens to quickly.
i would not get the ported if this it is to be your carry gun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Springfield claims no loss of power on their ported models. I know generally however their is a small loss (not enough to really matter in my opinion, but that's my opinion) but I wonder if Springfield has figured out a way to do it without loosing any velocity, or if they're just full of crap. It'd be interesting to see the ported go head to head with the non-ported via an independent tester and see what they come up with on the balistics. And pistol fixer I have to agree with you. In the end it's all about putting rounds on target. A shot in the correct location is going to kill regardless if it's a 9mm or a .44 mag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts