Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have an 870 wingmaster from the early 80's. It is beautiful, but it has a 33 inch fixed full choke barrel. Not what I want To have on it, but I got a good deal on it so I overlooked it.

Will try to attach pics.

Is it possible for a good gunsmith to cut 5 inches off the barrel and thread the end of it for Remington choke tubes? Or is there not enough metal?

Replacement barrels are 250$, so if this doesn't work I may sell it and just buy a new express. *sigh*.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,307 Posts
Buy a new barrel and sell me your old one.
I'll give you $125.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Likely they can.

Chop 'er up.

I know when I had my Wingmaster chopped down for a riot gun, it cost me $30 to have the barrel chopped from 30" to 18.25, and a new bead added.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Looks like a 30" barrel to me. :confused: IMO, a Wingmaster deserves a nice new barrel. :) Vented and with Remchoke of course. ;)

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a 30" barrel to me. :confused: IMO, a Wingmaster deserves a nice new barrel. :) Vented and with Remchoke of course. ;)
I really would like to, but I can't justify $250 for it.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Likely they can.

Chop 'er up.

I know when I had my Wingmaster chopped down for a riot gun, it cost me $30 to have the barrel chopped from 30" to 18.25, and a new bead added.
Cuda, is this something that the average smith can do, or should I send it off to a specialized smith?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are correct on it being a 30 inch. I was mistaken.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I've never had any smith work done. What should this run me?
Like I mentioned, having my barrel chopped and a new bead added ran $30, as I recall.

Having yours chopped and an internal choke threaded...I'd guess around $100.

Check with area smiths, see what they say.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like I mentioned, having my barrel chopped and a new bead added ran $30, as I recall.

Having yours chopped and an internal choke threaded...I'd guess around $100.

Check with area smiths, see what they say.
Thanks cuda.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Probably so...but before you spend the money...check out buying a new shorter Remmy barrel with the Rem-Choke system already in the barrel. Some have rifle sights as well...another plus.

I cut down the barrel on an old Winchester Model 12, 12GA that I rescued from a pawn shop. The thing had a 30" full choke barrel that had a funky Poly Choke installed. I cut it down to 22" and had chokes installed. This type of mod is probably possible with an 870 barrel.

It is totally worth doing...I love the 870 and I inherited Dad's old 16 gauge Wingmaster.....it is my go to dove gun. My 15 year old daughter also has a 20 gauge Wingmaster and loves it. Hard to beat the 870 Remington!

The 870 Remmy is the 1911 of shotguns....there are tons of parts and mods that can be done. Barrel swaps are the easiest of mods for an 870.

-brickboy240

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Probably so...but before you spend the money...check out buying a new shorter Remmy barrel with the Rem-Choke system already in the barrel. Some have rifle sights as well...another plus.

I cut down the barrel on an old Winchester Model 12, 12GA that I rescued from a pawn shop. The thing had a 30" full choke barrel that had a funky Poly Choke installed. I cut it down to 22" and had chokes installed. This type of mod is probably possible with an 870 barrel.

It is totally worth doing...I love the 870 and I inherited Dad's old 16 gauge Wingmaster.....it is my go to dove gun. My 15 year old daughter also has a 20 gauge Wingmaster and loves it. Hard to beat the 870 Remington!

The 870 Remmy is the 1911 of shotguns....there are tons of parts and mods that can be done. Barrel swaps are the easiest of mods for an 870.

-brickboy240

He does not want to spend the $250 for a new barrel.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I know...I know.

I don't know how much cheaper a smith would be on cutting and installing chokes. I paid about 200 or a little more doing the Model 12 a few years ago.

If you CAN get it done at under 200...then yeah...go for it.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steve from rose actions quoted me at $95 for cutting, new bead, threading and return shipping.
The only catch is the barrel must be at least .845 inches wide at the cutting point. I need a caliper.

Sounds too good to be true but he comes highly recommended according to mike.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Steve from rose actions quoted me at $95 for cutting, new bead, threading and return shipping.
The only catch is the barrel must be at least .845 inches wide at the cutting point. I need a caliper.

Sounds too good to be true but he comes highly recommended according to mike.
He will be cutting my SBS Ithaca for me when my stamp comes back. From what Ive seen and heard people say, He is really good.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He will be cutting my SBS Ithaca for me when my stamp comes back. From what Ive seen and heard people say, He is really good.
I'm sure he is, I'm just worried about the rib and the elevation of it being higher where I want it cut versus where it is now. Maybe a sixteenth or a little more of an inch. Might throw off point of aim.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Talk to Guncat at Rose Action SPorts. He is a gunsmith that everyone on AR15.com uses for shotguns.

Home Page

Fill out the form and he will email you back a quote!
I'll vouch for his work, also. Had him cut a 28" Express barrel down to 21", thread and lengthen the forcing cone. Way cheaper than finding a factory turkey barrel and shoots better too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts