Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had bought my daughter a 243 last year she wanted to deer hunt this year. Now I went and took her to the range to shoot it with a box of shells I had got her with the gun. We had fired what we had and the next day she wanted to shoot again so we had went to the store and they said they couldn't get any but they had a die for it so we picked that up and thought we could go back to the range and pick our brass back out of the jugs but it had seemed that someone beet us to it. She was heart broken . Is there someone out there that may be able to part with some ammo or some brass? Would mean a lot to a little girl and her first deer hunt. Please someone help

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I had bought my daughter a 243 last year she wanted to deer hunt this year. Now I went and took her to the range to shoot it with a box of shells I had got her with the gun. We had fired what we had and the next day she wanted to shoot again so we had went to the store and they said they couldn't get any but they had a die for it so we picked that up and thought we could go back to the range and pick our brass back out of the jugs but it had seemed that someone beet us to it. She was heart broken . Is there someone out there that may be able to part with some ammo or some brass? Would mean a lot to a little girl and her first deer hunt. Please someone help

You should have bought the standard .243 win, the super short mag is pretty much dead.

I have a .223 wssm that i bought 3 years ago and even at that time ammo and brass were hard to find.

I could let you have some of my brass but you would have to be able to neck it up to 243.

don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thanx hindsight yes I should have . But the sails man at cabellas was very much a fan and talked me into it. But thanx

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Really an uncommon caliber. Can't cry over spilt milk.

Maybe sell it and get a regular .243?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'd say keep it, it's her first rifle. That and it's a hunting rifle so order a couple boxes online and keep them stocked. Also where are you located? I know one of our LGS has several boxes of wssm in stock, .223 and .243.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have checked all my usual online places, all are out of stock. Very little call for the ssm calibers anymore.

don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd say keep it, it's her first rifle. That and it's a hunting rifle so order a couple boxes online and keep them stocked. Also where are you located? I know one of our LGS has several boxes of wssm in stock, .223 and .243.
O man that would make her so happy do you have a # or anything for the lGS in your area? I appreciate your response thank u

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
doesn't that thin the neck out just a touch? we do that with a 257 Roberts that's Ackley improved and bored up to 260 and we blow through brass necks pretty often.
Yes, but better than necking own & thickening the nck, that can cause higher pressures. I neck up 243 to 260, works just fine.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Yes, but better than necking own & thickening the nck, that can cause higher pressures. I neck up 243 to 260, works just fine.
I agree with Fred, I'd rather neck up than neck down. KS. look into annealing for longer case-neck life.

OP, have you come up with anything? I was just assured of a great hunt earlier this evening come December, but they've always been memorable in one way or another. I can't think of any other that would be better than the one with my only daughter. I don't have many, and they're all range pick ups in nickel cases, but I can help with once-fired cases at least to the point of sighting in 3 rounds and loading her magazine. Let me know. ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Some are listed on gun broker but the prices are robbery. $5+ per round factory loaded or $1+ per round for new unloaded brass :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts