Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - can anyone give me an explaination of what the .40 s&w means when referring to the xd. I understand it mean 40 caliber smith & wesson, but how do i know what types of ammo i can use in the gun?

I just bought a used xd .40 and as you can tell, i'm just starting to learn about guns.

Also, what is difference between xd and xd(m).

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
You use .40s&w ammo.

The xdm has a "match grade" barrel and trigger, different backstraps for the grip, come in 4.5" and 3.8" barrels, and is usually $100+ more than the xd. Oh yea, new 5.25" 9mm. No trigger pull for take down.

Xd's have 3", 4", and 5" barrels. Some have short grips, some do not.

Please please please get some training from somewhere before you go shooting. I only say this because you don't seem to know very much at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
^^ i agree. please go to the range with either someone you know that knows guns very well, or take a course from the range nearby.

The more you know about your gun and the safety of shooting your gun, the better off you and everyone around you will be.

please be very careful.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congratulations on choosing an excellent firearm in a great, all purpose caliber:

.40 Smith and Wesson
.40 Caliber

These are the commonly referred to names for the caliber of your pistol. You may use both hollow points and full metal jacket, fmj. DO NOT use reloads only use FACTORY LOADED AMMUNITION from a reputable manufacturer. Those may include Sellier and Bellot, Remington, Winchester, Federal, Corbon, etc.

Browse around You Tube and do a search on the XD 40 but run everything you see there past us or past a trained professional you respect and know well.

#1 don't point the pistol at anything you would not destroy

#2 treat it as being loaded at all times

#3 keep your finger away from the trigger until you shoot

#4 be aware of what is beyond what you will shoot

#5 don't use fmj ammo for home protection----it can penetrate through walls----use JHP or jacketed hollow point

Welcome aboard. We are here to help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I will also add the modern double action only or striker fired handguns usually do not have a manual safety. If you plan on getting a concealed carry license or carrying the pistol on your person, it is absolutely essential that you purchase a Kydex or rigid leather holster----not a soft nylon holster-----Kydex or hard plastic or rigid leather. The reason for this is to guard against the trigger being pulled by accident while the pistol is being carry or the holstered pistol is being moved around. Granted, the grip safety of the XD alleviates much of these fears but you cannot depend on the grip safety to be foolproof. It is made my humans and as such is not perfect. The ultimate safety is between your hears.

If you are not willing to purchase a rigid leather or polymer holster, I suggest you confine your pistol to a locked, secure display cabinet or transport it unloaded in a lockable hard case to and from the gun range.

Do not worry about the finish wearing or being scratched due to holster use. Modern, well made handguns like the XD series have metal treatment performed at the factory to abate rust. If you get a leather holster, do not store the pistol in it. Leather harbors moisture and some handguns will rust when stored in a leather holster for long periods. When taking the pistol out of a holster, make sure it is unloaded and give it a quick wipe down with a good gun oil or CLP (Cleaner/Lubricant/Protectant)

Some good gun oils include:

Breakfree CLP
Remoil
Hoppe's Gun Oil
Birchwood Casey Sheath

·
Registered
168 Posts
Also...........................:D Get yourself a Bore Snake for the .40 caliber. I suggest a spray lubricant cleaner like Remoil or Breakfree CLP. It will "blow" out the gunk to a degree when cleaning. When you do clean, spray the inside and outside of the bore and let it set there for a while to do its job. Also hve Q-Tips on hand and a toothbrush to clean the nooks and crannies. Always douse the Q-Tip in oil to keep it from leaving cotton deposits on the internals of the hand gun. Some will wipe down their pistol with a paper towel. I only do this on the outside. Doing it on the internals can leave little paper deposits in hard to get to places. Clean your weapon after every use and then on the occasions when you do not have time to clean it, it is not nearly as bad to skip one time.

ALWAYS use cleaning rods or bore snakes from the breech end---(the end that is inside the slide where the bullet sits when the handgun is loaded)----on on the crown or the end of the barrel that sticks out of the slide.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hello all - can anyone give me an explaination of what the .40 s&w means when referring to the xd. I understand it mean 40 caliber smith & wesson, but how do i know what types of ammo i can use in the gun?

I just bought a used xd .40 and as you can tell, i'm just starting to learn about guns.

Also, what is difference between xd and xd(m).

Thanks.
Means 40 caliber smith&wesson..
XDm = Match grade barrel and smoother trigger compared to Glocks Gen 3 and 4..

Suggested that you find a NRA Trained instrutor in your area that can give a First shooters Class..
This will get you(should) become more filimar with your new handgun and how to propertly hold(finger placement) and shooting .. Field stripping and cleaning..

Welcome to XDtalk...:cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
all you can use is anything that is a .40 caliber
^ This
You use .40s&w ammo.

The xdm has a "match grade" barrel and trigger, different backstraps for the grip, come in 4.5" and 3.8" barrels, and is usually $100+ more than the xd. Oh yea, new 5.25" 9mm. No trigger pull for take down.

Xd's have 3", 4", and 5" barrels. Some have short grips, some do not.

Please please please get some training from somewhere before you go shooting. I only say this because you don't seem to know very much at all.
^ This
^^ i agree. please go to the range with either someone you know that knows guns very well, or take a course from the range nearby.

The more you know about your gun and the safety of shooting your gun, the better off you and everyone around you will be.

please be very careful.
^ This
Congratulations on choosing an excellent firearm in a great, all purpose caliber:

.40 Smith and Wesson
.40 Caliber

These are the commonly referred to names for the caliber of your pistol. You may use both hollow points and full metal jacket, fmj. DO NOT use reloads only use FACTORY LOADED AMMUNITION from a reputable manufacturer. Those may include Sellier and Bellot, Remington, Winchester, Federal, Corbon, etc.

Browse around You Tube and do a search on the XD 40 but run everything you see there past us or past a trained professional you respect and know well.

#1 don't point the pistol at anything you would not destroy

#2 treat it as being loaded at all times

#3 keep your finger away from the trigger until you shoot

#4 be aware of what is beyond what you will shoot

#5 don't use fmj ammo for home protection----it can penetrate through walls----use JHP or jacketed hollow point

Welcome aboard. We are here to help.
^ This
I will also add the modern double action only or striker fired handguns usually do not have a manual safety. If you plan on getting a concealed carry license or carrying the pistol on your person, it is absolutely essential that you purchase a Kydex or rigid leather holster----not a soft nylon holster-----Kydex or hard plastic or rigid leather. The reason for this is to guard against the trigger being pulled by accident while the pistol is being carry or the holstered pistol is being moved around. Granted, the grip safety of the XD alleviates much of these fears but you cannot depend on the grip safety to be foolproof. It is made my humans and as such is not perfect. The ultimate safety is between your hears.

If you are not willing to purchase a rigid leather or polymer holster, I suggest you confine your pistol to a locked, secure display cabinet or transport it unloaded in a lockable hard case to and from the gun range.

Do not worry about the finish wearing or being scratched due to holster use. Modern, well made handguns like the XD series have metal treatment performed at the factory to abate rust. If you get a leather holster, do not store the pistol in it. Leather harbors moisture and some handguns will rust when stored in a leather holster for long periods. When taking the pistol out of a holster, make sure it is unloaded and give it a quick wipe down with a good gun oil or CLP (Cleaner/Lubricant/Protectant)

Some good gun oils include:

Breakfree CLP
Remoil
Hoppe's Gun Oil
Birchwood Casey Sheath
^ This
Also: Find a mentor. Offer to exchange a skill or resource to them you may have that they need in exchange for their time and insight.
^ This
Also...........................:D Get yourself a Bore Snake for the .40 caliber. I suggest a spray lubricant cleaner like Remoil or Breakfree CLP. It will "blow" out the gunk to a degree when cleaning. When you do clean, spray the inside and outside of the bore and let it set there for a while to do its job. Also hve Q-Tips on hand and a toothbrush to clean the nooks and crannies. Always douse the Q-Tip in oil to keep it from leaving cotton deposits on the internals of the hand gun. Some will wipe down their pistol with a paper towel. I only do this on the outside. Doing it on the internals can leave little paper deposits in hard to get to places. Clean your weapon after every use and then on the occasions when you do not have time to clean it, it is not nearly as bad to skip one time.

ALWAYS use cleaning rods or bore snakes from the breech end---(the end that is inside the slide where the bullet sits when the handgun is loaded)----on on the crown or the end of the barrel that sticks out of the slide.
^ This

welcome... i would also recommend to get a buddy who can walk you through guns SAFELY.
^ This
Means 40 caliber smith&wesson..
XDm = Match grade barrel and smoother trigger compared to Glocks Gen 3 and 4..

Suggested that you find a NRA Trained instrutor in your area that can give a First shooters Class..
This will get you(should) become more filimar with your new handgun and how to propertly hold(finger placement) and shooting .. Field stripping and cleaning..

Welcome to XDtalk...:cool:
^ And This :twisted:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts