Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, first post - sorry it's asking for help right out of the gate. I recently purchased a second hand xd45 ACP, 4" barrel; it shoots great, but the previous owner banged up the external end of the guide rod and it's driving me nuts.

So far I've emailed SA and have yet to receive a response. I've also e-mailed Brownells because the 4" guide rods they offer look nothing like mine and specify service model only. This seems to be the case for every XD supply website I've found. So I'm pretty stumped.. please take a look at these pictures and help me understand what I need to be asking for and whom I should be talking to?

Cheers - Michael
(ps - Model on the gun case says: XD9611HCSP06)

·
Registered
447 Posts
XDguys.com have them but you might have to wait awhile from them.

I would look into this new solid guide rod from Canyon Creek. I ordered one and installed one as well. Looks great also.

45 acp Service guide rod

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so I don't need to get a direct replacement in the double spring style? the 22lb spring would be the correct match to the factory spring, yes?

noob questions, I know.. but I don't want to guess when it comes to things that go boom in my hand.

thanks, by the way, for your quick response and suggestion!

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The original SA stock recoil assembly for the XD-45 Servce (which is the 4" model whether with a full or compact grip size) is available from pistolgear. It runs about 18.5 lb max in the working range of compression. About $18 last time I looked. CanyonCreek has recently released a separate guide rod and springs for the 4" XD-45. SS or tungsten guide rod and 18,20 & 22 lb springs. The 20# would be closest to stock weight, and should be fine for any regular commercial ammo. The 18# for running mostly real light loads and 22# for a majority of hot loads.

Within a week or so I hope to have some time to make some comparative spring compression test tech data. Already have the figures for the stock and my mod'ed stock spring, just have to measure the Canyon Creek springs. I would expect that some actual shooting reviews will be posted by those that have received their springs, before then. That's what is important.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. the whole "service", "tactical", etc monikers are what is throwing me off I guess. My gun doesn't have any of those designations on it and while searching around it appeared that the "service" models had a different guide rod setup than my own. looks like I'm gonna pick up one of the new canyon creek upgrades :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
service = 4" barrel
tactical = 5" barrel
I hear ya, but if you go to SA's website and look at the XD models they list XD45 ACP, XD 4" Service, and XD 5" Tactical. For the uninitiated, it just confuses everything. I think I've got it all straight now. :)

Oh, and a shipping notification for my canyon creek guide rod came into my e-mail this morning. :)

·
Premium Member
21,380 Posts
i called S/A 2 weeks ago and they had springs for 15 bucks, i ordered 2 , dickin with emails dont always work when u are dealing with big corps,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts