Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some shopping for my next gun purchase, I want an easy to conceal pocket pistol in either .380 or 9mm (9mm would be best) single stack.
I really like the LCP but I just found out its not on the California "approved" list. So what are my alternatives?
I've looked at the Kel Tec p3at and the Walther PPK but the Walther is a bit out of my price range ($300ish)

so help me XDtalk what are my "California approved" options?
I hate being geographically challenged.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For 9mm have you looked at the Kel-tec PF-9? It's a very small gun, and depending on pockets should easily conceal. You might also look at a S&W 642/442. It's a revolver, but I just picked one up and absolutely love it and fits very well into a pocket.

For the record, I have NO idea what is on the CA "approved" list, just throwing a couple options out that I have heard good things about.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats the easiest way to find out what is on the approved list and what is not? Anyone know?
they way I'm doing it now is through Google. I turned up some stuff saying the pf9 isn't approved.
Thanks for the revolver suggestion I'm not much of a revolver person though.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Whats the easiest way to find out what is on the approved list and what is not? Anyone know?
they way I'm doing it now is through Google. I turned up some stuff saying the pf9 isn't approved.
Thanks for the revolver suggestion I'm not much of a revolver person though.

Here: Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

I don't think any Kel-Tec is on the certified list, by the way.

I would recommend a Bersa or Firestorm, but they might be a bit too heavy for your tastes. Unfortunately, there aren't very many inexpensive weapons on the approved list for California. Apparently poor people aren't allowed to defend themselves. You should probably just move.

·
Registered
341 Posts
This isn't a cheap gun but my Kahr PM9 is the easiest pistol I own to carry. It is a very well made gun, I also have a Kahr CW 9 that is under $400 and just as reliable and more accurate the the PM9 (just due to size, and fit).

Personally, if I'm going to carry a gun I won't reliability, and accuracy, for me this leaves Kel-tec out of the picture (just my experience).

A J frame is as reliable as it gets.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Check out Calguns.net I'm sure they have everything you need to know if you own a gun in CA. Anywho, I would suggest a Bersa Thunder 380 or 9. Very good, cheap, reliable gun for a little under $300.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just move to FL, and carry anything you want... with a full mag.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
isn't it next to impossible to get a CA, CCW anyways??? :confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
isn't it next to impossible to get a CA, CCW anyways??? :confused:
It all depends on the county you reside in. LA/Riverside is next to impossible San Bernardino county is pretty easy
I just happen to live in Riverside county. One day I'll hopefully get a CCW and I'd like to buy a nice compact gun while you still can in California.
Unfortunately I'm pretty vested in my job so moving out of state while tempting isn't gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My understanding is that Kel-Tec can't be sold in Kalifornia due to the fact that there is no external safety. Is that the case?

·
Registered
232 Posts
It all depends on the county you reside in. LA/Riverside is next to impossible San Bernardino county is pretty easy
I just happen to live in Riverside county. One day I'll hopefully get a CCW and I'd like to buy a nice compact gun while you still can in California.
Unfortunately I'm pretty vested in my job so moving out of state while tempting isn't gonna happen.
I found a nice map that gives the "approximate" idea of how easy is will be for someone to get a California CCW. It gives me a warm feeling to see the red parts diminishing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can buy a LCP in CA through PPT, here is one for sale in So.CA

Wow... the private market for Ruger LCP is already there, eh? - Calguns.net
wow $500 no thanks I can just go an get the PPKS I was looking at for that much.
I might end up with the bersa thunder assuming I can find a store I can buy it from. Thanks for all the suggestions. Down the road I plan on buying a nice revolver but for the price for the S&W 642 I could also get the PPKS. Thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found a nice map that gives the "approximate" idea of how easy is will be for someone to get a California CCW. It gives me a warm feeling to see the red parts diminishing.
EXCELLENT map thanks for posting that I'll save that site for when I apply for a CCW. From what I hear the new riverside sheriff is even more anti CCW than the last so it may be a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in the Central California valley, and have a CCW. I bought a Kahr P380 last July because I heard about their great reputation for reliability and concealibility. I have experienced nothing but grief from this gun. I am lucky to get through one clip without an FTF or failure to close to battery. I have sent it back to Kahr twice. They replaced literally all the internals the first time- no improvement. The second time Kahr replaced the recoil springs with springs so stiff I can't pull it back till the slide locks. I was told they fired 200 rounds through it and it functioned fine. I believe them because they sent it back to me uncleaned! The failure to close to battery rate last weekend was 18 out of 50 rounds. Maybe mine is just a lemon, I dunno. It is currently for sale, and has been replaced for EDC with a Ruger LC9, which eats any ammo (even Tula) without FTF. My Bersa .380 is my backup, and has had over 2000 rounds through it without a single problem. I highly recommend and trust these two guns with my family's lives.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I live in the Central California valley, and have a CCW. I bought a Kahr P380 last July because I heard about their great reputation for reliability and concealibility. I have experienced nothing but grief from this gun. I am lucky to get through one clip without an FTF or failure to close to battery. I have sent it back to Kahr twice. They replaced literally all the internals the first time- no improvement. The second time Kahr replaced the recoil springs with springs so stiff I can't pull it back till the slide locks. I was told they fired 200 rounds through it and it functioned fine. I believe them because they sent it back to me uncleaned! The failure to close to battery rate last weekend was 18 out of 50 rounds. Maybe mine is just a lemon, I dunno. It is currently for sale, and has been replaced for EDC with a Ruger LC9, which eats any ammo (even Tula) without FTF. My Bersa .380 is my backup, and has had over 2000 rounds through it without a single problem. I highly recommend and trust these two guns with my family's lives.
Thanks for the info. Consider starting a new thread instead of opening a 4 year old two page thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new to the forum, and didn't realize it was so old.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts