Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seem's my new AR just loves to eat ammo, literally. I've been having issues with Failure to Feed and Failure to Eject. I've been trying different mags like Pmags, GI Steel mags, and Tapco mags. It seems with the failures to feed the rounds can't quite clear the mag and get stuck from the BCG slamming down on the rounds, denting them OR a round fails to eject getting stuck in the chamber and the next round fails to feed and gets slammed on. I've stripped down the entire BCG and cleaned it real well, scrubbing it with a mixture of simple green cut with water, dried, and oiled. Only thing I can think of is sanding down the lips of the mags a bit so the rounds can clear a bit better, the springs in my mags are real strong and take quite a bit of effort to remove a round by hand.

Anyone else have an idea's? I don't want to just go out and buy a whole new BCG just yet, and if I do I may get the teflon coated Fail Zero.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of AR? It's an RGuns M4 style AR-15, 4th one down http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semiauto-ar15-complete-RGUNS-556-16Inch-A3M4.shtml

What upper? I believe it's actually made by them just like the lowers are, they are an importer and just bought out Delaware Machinery

Does it have M4 feedramps? Yes is does

Have you checked the headspace? No I have not, I will have to research that and check myself. It's made to shoot 5.56 and .223 rounds.

What rounds have you tried? Remington UMC and Herters Steel Case ammo, I have some American Eagle I have yet to try. Thinking about ordering at the end of the month some Lake City 5.56
In the quote in red

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If receiver has M4 feedramps...does the barrel extension?
Good question, I'll double check tonight. I'm fairly certain it does but I'll check to make sure.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Does it happen with all ammo or is it specific to a certain brand? Has this always happened or is it a new symptom?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
It would not hurt to post a pic of your jam/jams and your bbl ext/upper.

Pictures are good. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it happen with all ammo or is it specific to a certain brand? Has this always happened or is it a new symptom?
This happened the day I bought it, I figured it was from Steel Cased ammo and just needed to be broken in a bit but now at 500 rounds... I'm starting to think otherwise since the AR I helped my cousin built has yet to jam or have issues in 250+ rounds.

It would not hurt to post a pic of your jam/jams and your bbl ext/upper.

Pictures are good. :)
I will when I get home, I can recreate the jams if needed since they are now burned in my memory lol

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If you've tried different ammo types and your still having problems you might look into what buffer the rifle has. Sounds like you might be short stroking. Check the gas tube to gaskey fit also. Do you have any spent casing from your last outing?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Yup, check to make sure feedramps are in the lower and ligned up correctly....and check headspacing.
Agalindo is on to something there about buffer spring/weight.....as well as gas tube sealing.....might be worth taking gas block and tube off and cleaning out and checking for burs and such. Double check extractor for function and try new ammo...then.....??????

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you've tried different ammo types and your still having problems you might look into what buffer the rifle has. Sounds like you might be short stroking. Check the gas tube to gaskey fit also. Do you have any spent casing from your last outing?
I save all my brass, so your in luck. As far as short stroking, wouldn't that lead to rounds not being chambered right? I can understand the buffer spring being to strong and jamming cartridges before they can extract fully, which has happened quite often.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Well here's the thing if it's buffer is too weak or the orifice is too large the bolt will start to unlock before the pressure in the chamber has dropped enough. This will cause the bolt to go back but the case is still under pressure and it will not eject. The extractor claw will leave a mark on the case as it's ripped from the case head. That would cause the case still in the chamber symptom. It can also cause the bolt to be delayed just enough so that it will not go back all the way, this will cause the failure to feed, or no feed (empty chamber) sometimes it cause the gun to not cock.

Check the case heads look for sighs of the extractor on the case hear.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, it's an M4 upper and an M4 barrel extension, the buffer tube is a mil spec buffer tube and the spring is pretty tough. The ejected cases (I checked at least 60 lol) are all pretty good with a few having a few scrap from the ejector. They are not in horrible condition, a few have a dent on the color which may be from someone stepping on them. The spring has no wobble and rides smoothly. Still working on getting pictures, except my camera is dead right now lol

Edit:

Oh, and the gas key looks fine on the BCG. No wobble at all.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
So does this happen with more than one brand of ammo?

If the gas port is too large you'll have problems too. Did you have a chance to look at the buffer to see what it is?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So does this happen with more than one brand of ammo?

If the gas port is too large you'll have problems too. Did you have a chance to look at the buffer to see what it is?
I'll test it with some new ammo I bought the next chance I get out. I'm hoping it is the ammo and not the weapon. The buffer looks fine, spring it not to large or has a lot of play, and is pretty rigid. I can only press it in about an inch with 2 fingers before it feels like I'm about to snap them lol.

Could it possibly be the fact this AR is made for 5.56 which is higher pressure while .223 is lower pressure and slightly smaller case size?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
NO, it's not a .223/5.56 thing. If the ammo is under powered it might cause the symptoms you mentioned. All my AR are 5.56 and I have no problems shooting .223 even the lower powered wolf.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Remington UMC and Herters Steel Case ammo
Both of those tend to be pretty weak ammo, and can lead to the problems you have. Try some Federal, Lake City, Winchester, or even Fiocchi or PMC. UMC .223 in the green and white boxes is about the worst brass cased AR ammo out there. As for the steel stuff, many ARs don't like it, and almost universally, even steel-case fans will tell you to try a small amount first to see how your rifle handles it. Personally, since I can get Lake City XM193 (Milspec 55gr FMJ) for less than $.30 per round nowadays, I avoid steel ammo.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
any updates?
Yes there is lol, I just got home about midnight last night and just woke up.

I found out my AR ACTUALLY like Golden Tiger ammo. I blew through about 100 rounds with only a misfire, the primer was set deeper then the others and it barely dented it. American Eagle ammo had 3 issues with about 100 rounds, 1 mis-fire, one failure to eject, and one didn't quite feed right because the lips of the mag caught it wrong. I'm starting to think there is more then just one issue with this AR...

Also, this AR really doesn't like PMags, All issues were with 20 round Pmags and 30 round Pmags. The steel mags I used that I got for $11 a piece had no issues lol.

Both of those tend to be pretty weak ammo, and can lead to the problems you have. Try some Federal, Lake City, Winchester, or even Fiocchi or PMC. UMC .223 in the green and white boxes is about the worst brass cased AR ammo out there. As for the steel stuff, many ARs don't like it, and almost universally, even steel-case fans will tell you to try a small amount first to see how your rifle handles it. Personally, since I can get Lake City XM193 (Milspec 55gr FMJ) for less than $.30 per round nowadays, I avoid steel ammo.
Golden Tiger steel case is some pretty awesome stuff. Much better then Wolf in my opinion. Where you getting that XM193 from? I'm now interested...

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Sounds like you need to send that AR back for repairs. Maybe they put the hammer spring in backwards. Seen it before. That would account for your light primer strikes.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts