Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the 9mm round as I have mainly owned and carried 40's and 45's. I keep hearing about how good a heavy grain 9mm carry load can be. Planning on testing out some ammo on some newspaper filled water jugs with 4 layers of denim this weekend.:D

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Here's a start.

Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with agalindo. I've tested Speer, Ranger T and WWB 147 gr. HP's with my XD9 in water jugs covered with 4 layers of denim and got good results. The WWB's don't expand as well but they are cheaper.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Plenty of data out there that shows the 147 expands just as readily as the 124gr and penetrates deeper.
Back in the old days of terminal ballistics and hp design no they weren't a good choice now they are. Chuck Hawks uses 30 year old data to try to prove that the 147gr is a bad choice.

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
Agalindo's list is a good one.

I've tried all of them, they all run great in my 9mm's from 3.5" barrels to 5", and I trust 'em all to do the job.

I used to be in the midweight, hi-speed (124+P) camp, until I realized that the 147gr bullet will do just as well--perhaps better--with less recoil...particularly in my P7's.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Plenty of data out there that shows the 147 expands just as readily as the 124gr and penetrates deeper.
Back in the old days of terminal ballistics and hp design no they weren't a good choice now they are. Chuck Hawks uses 30 year old data to try to prove that the 147gr is a bad choice.

That dude was smokin crack back then. Before there was an interweb and decades before I read his 'theory' about 147s, I had been shooting deer with the OSM round without any failures of any sort.

Right now you can go to walmart and buy the OSM 147 grain load that is now sold in 50 round boxes labeled Winchester personal protection. The kicker is they are only $15.00 a box and work spectacular still to this day. They are the only 147 9x19mm load I have used for almost 15 years now.

From my experience from shooting them into alot of animals that were alive at one time I would add them to the list in the first reply list any day. They are very accurate too.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts