Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a handgun safe that will bolt to the wall. Honestly I live in an apartment and don't need anything permenet. I brought back my 1911 from my parents home in Michigan finally but I don't want that or other guns getting stolen. I have an xd that I daily carry but otherwise the handgun safe will need to be able to fit a few guns, ammo and other items. Something like this stack on would be fine. I prefer a aafe this size that mounts On the wall. I will be moving at so nothing permanent a small investment like this will pay off!! Stack On Security Plus Heavy Gauge Steel Pistol Ammo Security Cabinet at Galls

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
Stack Ons aren't safes, IMO. You can get into one with a screwdriver. Better than nothing, I guess.

Reactions: diesel lover

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Looks like it will work but it will fill fast. Stand out in a small home /apt. Might find a end table or night stand with a swing door on the front and put it in there. Out of sight is the best . They will go for that quick if they see it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Find a broken/used 5 gallon wet/dry vac in a garage sale. Clean it, put your junk in there and shove it in the closet under the suitcases. No one ever stole a vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like it will work but it will fill fast. Stand out in a small home /apt. Might find a end table or night stand with a swing door on the front and put it in there. Out of sight is the best . They will go for that quick if they see it.
Yup been looking at night stands like that. That would be a great option!

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I like the wet/dry shop vac idea. Some, like my Craftsman, take the black bag liners. You could put stuff in the bottom then add a liner and it would cover everything if they looked inside.

If you even have an upright vacuum that takes the removable/replaceable bags, you can unzip the outer bag area and place the gun behind the bag and zip it back up. Had a friend that used to do that with his cash.

As far as a nightstand/end table, I wouldn't place a gun in the drawer or behind the swing drawer. If someone breaks in, they will probably look in there and see it. If you can, find a nightstand/end table that isn't solid all the way to the floor and has feet that raises it from the floor. I would mount the gun under the bottom side. Use and old leather belt section and make a loop to hold the gun, almost like a holster. Make sure it is tight against the bottom and doesn't hang down where someone may see it dangling.

I have a sideboard/buffet in the dining room. The middle section has approximately a one foot clearance where it doesn't go all the way to the floor. I mounted the cheap holster that came with my XD45 under that area and I keep my XD there. I can reach under there and draw the gun out of the holster. They can open all the drawers and swing out doors and they will never see a gun, just china and placemats and such.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks spawnz. I like the idea of furniture with hidden compartments. I have seen hidden places in homes like in floors, stairs and closets.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That stack on unit is NOT secure. I have one nice size but ammo only. I also have a double unit similar to the one M. Posted from harbor freight, but mine is a gunvault brand. Nice but if I'm going to be gone from home more than a day all stuff in that safe goes in my big safe. Home depot has a handfull of safes in the $100-200 range all would be a far better choice than that stack on unit.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
I got this bolted with carriage bolts to a shelf. Holds about 4 pistols + mags + ammo.

SentrySafe X055, about $65 on Amazon.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want to safe guard fire arms in a non-permanent basis, might as well get a larger safe. There's not a house out there that can protect a determined thief from prying a small safe off a wall. They just don't build them like they used to, and even then, the historic houses I've lived in that did not have dry wall, could still be chipped away. In this case we're talking apartment construction...

Go medium to large with a safe that can be moved when you do but take more than 2 thieves to move it...

My $.02.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
IMO, there is always going to be trade offs..... budget, vs security vs mobility vs threat probability......

A Stack-On type safe is going to be better than just throwing them in a closet.
One of the "Sentry-safe's" will be better than the Stack-on type.
Then you get into dedicated firearm and high security safes.

Especially since the OP lives in an apartment, that will sort of complicate getting a large security safe installed.
There is a "modular" safe that may work.... not sure on different sizes, but this also is a bit higher up in price:

Snapsafe Home Fireproof Safe Security Cabinets Closet Gun Vault

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I waited for the black Friday deal and got the 24 gun safe by stack on for 300. Fireproof heavy, super nice. Just need to do some super shopping
Your firearms and other valuables will thank you for keeping them safe

sent from the german sheperd next to me

1 - 20 of 27 Posts