Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been narrowing my choices of 9mm handguns for awhile now and the XD Service is currently at the top of the list. For a little bit of background, I haven't been to the range in a few years, but was trained when I was younger to safely handle firearms. I even won a few marksmanship trophies back in the day. I've handled several kinds of rifles but have only shot 22 caliber pistols (a six-shot revolver, and a Mark II). Now that I'm out of school and recently married it's time to get back into it. I'll eventually be using the weapon for CCW after some training to knock the rust off my skills.

Now I can get to my question. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of a manual safety on most models. For me, the XD edged out Glock because of the grip safety, which will put my mind at ease a little more while re-holstering. I've read all about how "the safety is more for the BG" and "it's just something else to snag while drawing" and "the only safety you need is between your ears" etc, etc. Was anyone else worried about the lack of a manual safety before purchasing your XD? What put your mind to rest?

Thanks very much for helping out a newbie.

·
Registered
533 Posts
when i got my XD a couple years ago, I was set on getting a glock, but the xd was also a contender. I did a lot of reading and finaly was able to handle an XD, and loved it..
I have had my xd on my hip every day for nearly 2 years and I have no worries about safties.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
For me, the safety features it has are more than enough. If you are already following the proper safety rules, it should never discharge in an unsafe manner. I have ZERO concerns about carrying this gun with a loaded chamber, and have done so since I got my carry permit.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A manual safety is only neccessary if you feel it is. It has to do with your confidence and ability in handling the pistol. I promise that the more you handle and shoot a gun with or without a manual safety, the more you will realize you don't need it.

I own a few pistols and have shot many more, and I have never felt unconfortable handling/shooting any of them. Once you put that new XD in your hand, you will be in LOVE!

Josh

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
A manual safety is only neccessary if you feel it is. It has to do with your confidence and ability in handling the pistol.
I agree with JJG. I've had one accidental discharge, many years ago. When I had my AD, I manual took the safety off my 9mm S&W and accidentally pulled the trigger while trying to clear the chamber at the range, so an external safety would not have done any good. Why I took the safety off to clear the gun and pulled the trigger, is still a mystery to me this day.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Just think of the semis without the Beretta or 1911 type safety as being e similar to a revolver; you pull the trigger and it goes bang.

I carried a revolver for the first 14yrs of my career, then the dept went to semis and decided on the Beretta 92f, which has an external safety. We were not allowed to carry the gun holstered with the safety off (even tho some did).

My point being, for some unknown reason (at least to me) the dept. felt we weren't capable of carrying a weapon like a Glock, even tho we had carried a revolver, which is similar as I stated above. As a matter of fact, just last year they tested Glocks (unk. models) for on duty/off duty use and came to the same stupid determination and refused to allow them.

If you practice, practice and then practice some more, as if your life might depend on it, you should be ok.

I only mentioned Glock since 70% of le carries one; buy the XD. :D

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I found it concerning at first. I also have a Beretta 92F and really like the manual safety on it. But I decided to buy the XDSC anyway and it doesn't even phase me anymore.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
MeanStreaker said:
For me, the XD edged out Glock because of the grip safety, which will put my mind at ease a little more while re-holstering.
This really stuck out to me. I never considered the grip safety making re-holstering safer. Through practice, I have developed the habit of pressing the pistol into the holster with my thumb on the striker indicator.. so that the grip safety is not dis-engaged while reholstering. I figure this way.. if for some bizare circumstance occurs that the USA safety is dis-engaged, and the trigger is depressed.. the gun will not fire.

It seems to me that a manual safety is not a safety advantage. Guns only go "boom" when the trigger is pulled. If you put your finger on the trigger, plan on shooting something, or keep your finger off the trigger.

Raymond

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was concerned about no passive safeties on the XD at first. But I bought one anyway cause I knew it would make a better carry weapon. The type of safeties on it are active and I see no way for the gun to accidently discharge unless your playing around. I've been carrying CCW for 3 weeks now and no concerns. I even carried in my pants one day without a holster, thats how much confidence I have in this weapon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
MeanStreaker said:
The only thing that concerns me is the lack of a manual safety on most models. For me, the XD edged out Glock because of the grip safety, which will put my mind at ease a little more while re-holstering.
You will be gripping the grip safety while re-holstering so it doesn't really make much difference. Unless you will pinch the grip while doing so. If you analyze the mechanical movements of each part you will realize that there are an internal safeties in the pistol. The firing pin safety prevents the striker from hitting the primer without pulling the trigger. The trigger bar which pushes the FP safety will not move unless you pull the trigger. The trigger will also not move if there's no direct pressure applied on the trigger safety. And don't forget, you have the grip safety.

So what puts pressure on the trigger? Your finger. And what is one of the rules? Do not put your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to shoot. And what commands the finger to put it on the trigger and apply pressure? That thing between the ears. :wink:

Seriously, I like XD because it fits my hands and it shoots straight if I do my part, no more.

BTW, I racked the slide of my XD (unloaded) and drop it a few times to see if it will discharge (again I made sure it was not loaded, I'm using that thing between my ears) and not once did it fire. I tried diffrent angle.

Then I pulled the trigger and drop it more with the grip hitting first. I want to make sure that it will not cycle without pressure on the grip safety. Not once did it cycle. Did it scratch my XD, no because I put cloth on the surface where I dropped it. I'm not that crazy to scratch my pistol.

vega

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
vega said:
MeanStreaker said:
The only thing that concerns me is the lack of a manual safety on most models. For me, the XD edged out Glock because of the grip safety, which will put my mind at ease a little more while re-holstering.
You will be gripping the grip safety while re-holstering so it doesn't really make much difference.
vega
Vega, when I reholster, my thumb comes off the frame, and the pad of my thumb presses on the back of the slide to push it in firmly. The grip safety is not pressed in, making the gun effectively "on safe". This is one selling point, to me, of the XD. Should something get in the trigger guard, like a retention strap on a holster (I don't like retention straps, and this is just one reason why), I have an extra layer of security built in.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Somewhat repeating what Vega said but here it is in my words...

Understanding exactly what is happening with the grip safety AND the trigger safety will help your comfort level.

Unless the trigger safety is pressed then the trigger cannot move to the rear AND until the trigger is slightly moved to the rear will the firing pin safety move out of the way of the firing pin. The firing pin is physically blocked until the trigger moves about 1/4 inch to the rear. AND...if the grip safety is not depressed then the sear is also physically blocked. When these two conditions are met, then further rearward pressure of the trigger will the sear release the firing pin to contact the primer and fire the pistol.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah, I echo all comments here too. A quick story: I carry a Walther PPK with a manual safety. I was a little worried about carrying it with the safety disengaged at first; if it is there, use it, right? Well, after thinking about all my other guns without manual safeties, I realized that disengaging the safety is just ANOTHER thing to think about should the SHTF.

TomSwift gives an excellent description about why you shouldn't be worried there's no manual safety. Heck, the XD is better than my PPK (no firing pin safety), and definitely safer than a double action revolver. Carry with confidence!

-stunks

P.S. The best thing you can do if you get the XD is to find a good holster that is sturdy and COMPLETELY covers the trigger guard. The trigger, is after all, the source of all AD/NDs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Definition of a safety: a mechanical device that is sometime knows to fail.

The most important safety is the one between your ears!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I, too, was originally worried about carrying a handgun without a manual safety. The only pistols I had used extensively all had manual external safeties, and I wasn't very comfortable with just a trigger safety (ala glock).

For the moment, my compromise is to leave the chamber unloaded until I'm comfortable enough with carrying to have a hot chamber. I want to spend a few more weeks figuring out my preferred concealment garment, carry position, holster, etc. and getting comfortable with my choice before I move on to a loaded chamber.

Perhaps this would be best in your case, too. Start with something very safe (but probably not very quick into action) and work your way up to something that's still safe (with your improved knowledge and comfort) but much quicker into battle.

-James

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I will say that if the Glock had a grip safety, I might have been a Glock owner vice an XD owner. Theres no term, He got "XD'd". But I hear a few Glock owners have been "Glocked".

·
Registered
68 Posts
Every firearm has an external safety, it's called an index finger. :D

The lack of external safety devices on Glocks never concerned me, so the XD with it's grip safety was even less of a concern.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts