Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, my wife announced that she thought we should buy a couple of AK 47's (to quote Kevin Spacey, "I love that woman like a shark loves blood"). Now, I know a reasonable amount about handguns, but close to zilch about AK's and their ilk (except that a LEO friend said that the Czech versions were generally superior to the others --- and who knows if he's right?). So, I would appreciate your recommendations and advice, including what to buy and where to buy it.

The purpose is for home defense and occasional target shooting, not hunting. Let me know if you need any other info. Oh yeah, just like most folks, I would like to keep the cost down. TIA!

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
My buddy just got a new Zastava, feels very solid and I never hear anything bad about them. They run about $550. I would tell you to get a Saiga but they're getting kinda spendy now that Barry backdoor'd us. Most recently I decided to take a chance and buy a Century 74.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Palmetto has some decent deals on Yugo underfolders. I'd stay away from IO. Other that that, happy shopping.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i've got a Polish underfold that my FiL left at my house. i shoot it every now and then, never had any problems with it. he wont sell it to me though.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
stay away from anything that has 'Century Arms' stamped on it...those drunken monkeys could f-up a brass jackass with a rubber mallet...

I have had a couple Saigas for the sole purpose of converting them from haphazardly converted pseudo-sporters to full blood AKs...they are easy to convert as long as you own a Dremel and possess a rudimentary understanding of how the parts fit together...

Deals on Saigas are still out there--ignore the 'buy it online' crowd and shop around...I scored a 7.62x39 for $450 two days ago; Just keep in mind that 922r Compliance needs to be researched if you intend to go the Saiga route...check out Dinzag Arms for parts kits and a linkover to explaining 922r

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
stay away from anything that has 'Century Arms' stamped on it...those drunken monkeys could f-up a brass jackass with a rubber mallet...

I have had a couple Saigas for the sole purpose of converting them from haphazardly converted pseudo-sporters to full blood AKs...they are easy to convert as long as you own a Dremel and possess a rudimentary understanding of how the parts fit together...

Deals on Saigas are still out there--ignore the 'buy it online' crowd and shop around...I scored a 7.62x39 for $450 two days ago; Just keep in mind that 922r Compliance needs to be researched if you intend to go the Saiga route...check out Dinzag Arms for parts kits and a linkover to explaining 922r

Plenty of happy people out there with "Century Arms" on their guns. I would also suggest doing a Saiga conversion but I think your deal is probably more the exception than the rule these days. If you do go the conversion route Dinzag is top notch and so is Carolina Shooter Supply.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If I were looking for a AK variant today, it would be:

1. MAK90
2. OPAP
3. NPAP

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Plenty of happy people out there with "Century Arms" on their guns. I would also suggest doing a Saiga conversion but I think your deal is probably more the exception than the rule these days. If you do go the conversion route Dinzag is top notch and so is Carolina Shooter Supply.
I do not know a single Century owner who has not regretted the purchase...different circles I suppose...Check Armslist out and see what Saigas are bringing locally...the prices aren't exploding everywhere...

I know my deal was a luck of the draw...but I wasn't even looking for one when it came up...they are out there still, just gotta hunt...they are worth every penny and the conversion process is interesting and kinda fun..

whichever route you go, keep us posted comrade! ;)

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I do not know a single Century owner who has not regretted the purchase...different circles I suppose...Check Armslist out and see what Saigas are bringing locally...the prices aren't exploding everywhere...

I know my deal was a luck of the draw...but I wasn't even looking for one when it came up...they are out there still, just gotta hunt...they are worth every penny and the conversion process is interesting and kinda fun..

whichever route you go, keep us posted comrade! ;)

I've had good luck with mine. Bought an OPAP off of Bud's. Built like a tank.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I've had good luck with mine. Bought an OPAP off of Bud's. Built like a tank.
The *PAP's aren't chrome-lined, right? Maybe I'm overly anal, but I don't like any AR or AK variant that isn't chrome lined. I always avoided the Yugo SKS's for just that reason.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The *PAP's aren't chrome-lined, right? Maybe I'm overly anal, but I don't like any AR or AK variant that isn't chrome lined. I always avoided the Yugo SKS's for just that reason.
why are folks so afraid of non-chrome lined barrels? I don't get it there are plenty of rifles made without chrome line barrels that have no issues. They are still functional and in circulation after usage and accompanied with basic Maintanence.

Especially not concerned with these little m92s wish such a short barrel that would make cleaning a breeze.

Anywho, I finally received my m92 yesterday and can't wait to shoot the snot out of it using corrosive ammo. lol

My vote = any of the PaPs

I've also used N-PAPs and they are flawless sweet variants and for $500ish it's $ well spent. Lots of reviews on them floating on the net.

·
Registered
299 Posts
First things first.

Go out and order 5 to 10k rounds of ammo before you buy the rifle/rifles.

Then go out and buy 10 mags of mil surplus mags..

Then start looking for the rifle.

If ammo get axed you should see a drop in rifles as they are usless with out ammo.

Past that get a pap, wasr, saiga etc...

id stay away from anything polish or anything underfolders.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts

Correct, they are not chrome lined. Honestly, it's a non-issue for me. If you want to shoot corrosive, you just have to clean it after shooting. I just stay away from corrosive ammo.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Man. I just scored my first ak about 4 months ago. It's a century arms npap m70 variant. I have done some "upgrades" an whatnot but that thing is flawless. I've put about 600 plus rounds though it with no hicc-ups whatsoever. I would not hesitate to buy one for the prices they are. The only bad thing is that aftermarket stuff is harder to find for the yugos. Other than that. I love it.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Man. I just scored my first ak about 4 months ago. It's a century arms npap m70 variant. I have done some "upgrades" an whatnot but that thing is flawless. I've put about 600 plus rounds though it with no hicc-ups whatsoever. I would not hesitate to buy one for the prices they are. The only bad thing is that aftermarket stuff is harder to find for the yugos. Other than that. I love it.
I have watched one of their Yugos choke on 4 different types of ammo...I had a CETME that wouldn't go into battery--ever--until we dumped an additional $300 in parts and labor into it...I saw one of their PAPs with an obviously crooked front sight block on it at a local shop--right after he unboxed it...

maybe I have been spoiled by my former HK addiction...and the Saigas I have converted...but I wouldn't give Century Arms the time of day in a Clock Factory...they are the Hi-Point of the AK world...

Glad yours runs...but much like all the people who swear that their Bushmaster Carbon 15 has been flawless, I just can't get behind something with such a sub-par rep

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are not they "imported" by century arms and manufactured by zastava?

Always some Debbie downer around here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have watched one of their Yugos choke on 4 different types of ammo...I had a CETME that wouldn't go into battery--ever--until we dumped an additional $300 in parts and labor into it...I saw one of their PAPs with an obviously crooked front sight block on it at a local shop--right after he unboxed it...

maybe I have been spoiled by my former HK addiction...and the Saigas I have converted...but I wouldn't give Century Arms the time of day in a Clock Factory...they are the Hi-Point of the AK world...

Glad yours runs...but much like all the people who swear that their Bushmaster Carbon 15 has been flawless, I just can't get behind something with such a sub-par rep

1. Yeah. I've heard all the horror stories about century and did not buy this one online, I did have the chance to check it out before buying. I would definetly recommend that to anyone considering a century build. It seems they have made an improvement in qc but I'm not a dealer or gun pro by all means so I don't know how many get by all crooked like. Wasr's on the other hand, I would stay away from.

2. I wish I had the cash for an hk addiction not I mention saiga.

3. I'm with you on bushmaster, I don't own an ar but when I do get one it will be something totally different. Heard good and bad things, more bad than good.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Are not they "imported" by century arms and manufactured by zastava?

Always some Debbie downer around here.
do more research...imported as "parts kits" and reassembled by CAI...and when things don't quite fit they bust out the die-grinders and go Full Retard...in order to comply with BATFE 922r for Hi-Cap Magazines they require a pre-specified number of US parts if the firearm is imported as a Sporting Rifle; to get around that CAI (and other companies) import the parts kits with the Reciever Torched in half and transplant them into a US made receiver

1 - 20 of 21 Posts