Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say I hate calling it that...a "sniper" rifle, it's just a scoped long range rifle. For an idea though on what it is I'm looking for, it is a "sniper" rifle....not a good scoped hunting rifle but a viable rifle that a sniper wouldn't mind using.

I am not very up in the know on long guns, mostly everything I know about is with handguns. So I really don't know chamber sizes, etc. too well.

Is there any really long range rifles available on the market for civilians with a regular license? I do not have my class 3. And what am I looking at in pricing w/out the scope if such a rifle exists? (I know a good scope will cost me)

Like I said, I want it to be big/long enough & chambered in a nice & hefty cartridge that a Sniper would use, or something that comes darn close.

Please let me know all information you can think of if you know of any rifles such as the type I'm looking for, thanks.

I looked into Barrett .50 cal's & they all require special licensing.

EDIT:
Bolt action or semi auto's are fine, I prefer semi auto's however if given the choice.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
A bull barreled Remington 700 in 223 or 308 ought to fit the bill.

The military still uses the M700 Remington in 308 and it has served them well.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Where do you live that the .50 cal requires a special license?

If it were me, I'd look at the .338 Lapua - that was designed as a "sniper" cartridge and has better ballistics than the .50.
Exactly. My local gun range has one sitting on the display stand for sale.

What exactly are you wanting to do with the rifle? Just hit targets from 1000 yards away? Long range hunting?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Intended use is a BIG question that needs answering. Most hunters like .308, most paper punchers are moving to the 6.5, from what I have seen. Remy 700 in .308 or a Savage 10FP in 3.08 would be just about perfect for anything. Rounds are cheap, you can find federal gold medal match for under $1 a round, whereas the .338 can get expensive, FAST

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Its nothing a little googling wont help you with. even Wikipedia.. Start there its always has great information. Find a rifle look up info.

Go cheap for starters, Get a mosin nagant and slap a $60 scope on it. That'll help you get used to long rifles. and if you end up hating it. Your only loss is about $170 bucks.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Savage has some very nicely priced bull barreled bolt guns with their Accu-Trigger and very solid mounts. I have not shot one, but they look great and people rave about them. Cheaper than any M700.

CDNN often has several nice heavy barreled rifles in 308 and 223...I'd start there.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a couple .308s and 7.62x51s. Those are popular for sniping. I have a nice 7mm Rem Mag, which used to be very popular with the snipers as well. With a bigger budget I'd get a .338 Lapua. That's what the guys with the range records over in Afghanistan have used. I just can't see anything that far away around here. It's pretty flat.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all of the responses so far everyone.

To answer a few questions - my intended use is really long range hunting/target shooting. It seems the .338 lapua is going to fit the bill for me, ammunition pricing won't be much of a problem for me as long as I can find them to purchase.

I live in Illinois right now, moving to Texas in a couple years - I was always told a .50 requires special licensing. I could be wrong but it would make sense I suppose if there was a restriction.

When I was a kid the very first firearm I ever shot was a scoped bolt action rifle in boyscouts, ever since that I've loved looking through scoped rifles & shooting with them. So I know I will enjoy one.

Again guys thanks for the responses, & keep 'em coming! I did search google for weeks trying to find a good rifle but couldn't find anything, so I tried my luck out on here. Looks like I have some browsing to do now that I have a place to start.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked out the link posted to that DTA SRS Sniper Rifle Chassis here,

DTA SRS Sniper Rifle Chassis - Precision Rifles - Guns - Desert Tactical Arms

Couple things, it doesn't look long enough to be a long range rifle...is this normal or is this not a heavily long ranged rifle? Usually when you see a sniper with his rifle the barrell's are huge.

And the price is in the $3000's, WHOA. Is this the pricing I will be looking at for a good "Sniper" rifle?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I love my Savage 10, .308. 22'' fluted bull barrel with a 6-24X50 scope. I traded some stuff for it, it had a price tag on it for $525. First time out at a 100yrds, I shot a 1in group.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you are looking for anything shoot .338LM, you will likely be around that for a "sniper" rifle. Take a look at the Sig Blaser. Super sexy .338LM. But spendy too. Plus, ammo is something like 3-4bucks a round if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Start off with a Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, 1-10" twist, .308 - then ditch the hogue stock and add a nice scope. You'll be just fine out 600 yards with this setup, then when you get practiced up you can invest in something a little bigger if you want to reach 1000. Plus, it's already threaded for a suppressor if you wanted to go through all that paperwork...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was just told that Austin PD SWAT uses .308 and .338 Lapua using Remington 700 on both. .308 is less than a dollar per round but .338 Lapua according to my acquaintance runs them close to $20 a pop (not sure how accurate the price is so please verify). You should factor the ammo cost before making your decision.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm seeing the .338 Lapua go for $100 or so per 20 rounds.

I was just told that Austin PD SWAT uses .308 and .338 Lapua using Remington 700 on both. .308 is less than a dollar per round but .338 Lapua according to my acquaintance runs them close to $20 a pop (not sure how accurate the price is so please verify). You should factor the ammo cost before making your decision.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Why are you "hunting" any game that far away? I'm not trying to be rude, but it seems like there is more to the story than just wanting to hunt deer way out there. Maybe I am just being a bit out there, but it sounds a bit off. Just that not many guys care to hunt past 500 or 600 yards. IF THAT! Just wondering if this is truly what you are going to use it for. A nice .308 will punch paper at a 1000yards. And, humainly, you shouldn't really be hunting where bullet drop, wind changes (change"s") and even alt. will effect the bullet so much, that if just the smallest gust can throw a bullet way off or even in a none vital area on game. You end up wounding the game and possibly never finding it and it dies a LONG painful death.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.