Springfield XD Forum banner

Need advise on rust removal and preservation

8K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  PolsVoice 
#1 ·
I have an AK-74 gas tube that's been badly corroded on the inside. I'd like to get some advice on salvaging this piece. I though about using a dremel with a long soft brass/nylon/metal brush to remove all that build-up inside. Then paint the inside with some high-heat spray paint. I'm not sure if this is the right way to restore it.

Any advise on restoration methods, materials, and paint brands would be helpful.

Here's a pic of the gas tube:

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
hoppes will probably work if you soak it in.

if not you can probably use transmission fluid.

or CLR cleaner.

maybe... I don't know that I would want a power tool in it.

you can buy new ones for not too expensive though so if you mess it up it shouldn't be a big deal to replace it.

#3 ·
hoppes will probably work if you soak it in.

if not you can probably use transmission fluid.

or CLR cleaner.

maybe... I don't know that I would want a power tool in it.

you can buy new ones for not too expensive though so if you mess it up it shouldn't be a big deal to replace it.
I can certainly pick one up for $15. That's not the problem. This is more of an education for me. I figured if I can get this crap off, then I'd feel more confident tackling other rust problems (say, a gas block).

This gas tube was from a recently acquired bulgarian AK-74. The previous owner shot corrosive ammo and did not bother to clean the gas tube. Fortunately, it was the only casualty. Everything else looks clean. Probably has to do with the chrome-lining (barrel, gas block, muzzle brake).

I tried the following method and did not help any, except remove the carbon buildup.
- wash all the corrosive salts with hot water, then dry (tried windex too)
- soaked in brake cleaner (more to remove the carbon)
- soaked in CLP
- elbow grease with brass and nylon brush
- wiped with Eezox

My thought was that I was not going deep enough and the corrosive salts are baked in there underneath all that gunk that I could not remove. No matter how much lubing and chemicals I put, it just comes back up after 24 hours.

#4 ·
automatic transmission fluid for a car is pretty tough stuff. I have seen it eat coatings off of things and leave a nice shiny metal substrate.

if you plan to refinish it anyway you can maybe soak it overnight then clean it with brake parts cleaner.

you are gonna want to not get it on anything you want to keep a coating on though, like your pretty chrome lined barrel.

#5 ·
automatic transmission fluid for a car is pretty tough stuff. I have seen it eat coatings off of things and leave a nice shiny metal substrate.

if you plan to refinish it anyway you can maybe soak it overnight then clean it with brake parts cleaner.

you are gonna want to not get it on anything you want to keep a coating on though, like your pretty chrome lined barrel.
I really don't want to lose the finish tho. It matches the finish of the gun and the exterior is spotless.

Worst case, I need to look into that. The good thing is that this is just the gas tube. All I have to do is remove the wood upper and it's good to go.

#9 ·
you could maybe take it to a metal shop with a media blaster and have them clean it out. most places that do mufflers and brakes would have a blaster.
Never thought about that. Probably would blast everything, including the outside. I'd probably use it as a last resort. Would need to know what's a good sealer/paint that high heat rated to do the finish inside and outside.

#15 ·
I saw that at Lowe's. It said it will remove the blueing and rust. I wonder if I can somehow tape the outside and put some jelly on the inside?

I went and bought a can of Rust-oleum High Heat Primer to use when I remove the rust. Has anyone used this?
It will remove everything, they have differnt classes of it. Tape should be protect the out side, I would remove the Hand guard and just tape the whole thing on the outside real well and use an acid brush to apply it on the inside.

Its basically an acid.

#18 ·
Its an AK GAS TUBE!!!

Run a 12ga bore brush thru it a few times, then a 12ga bore patch...then slap it on a AK and shoot the bejesus out of it...

Its an AK!!!

#19 ·
Its an AK GAS TUBE!!!

Run a 12ga bore brush thru it a few times, then a 12ga bore patch...then slap it on a AK and shoot the bejesus out of it...

Its an AK!!!
I know that. I can pick one up for $15. That's not what I'm after. Im more interested in best practices on how to remove rust and keep it off.

I have another potential issue that I'm hoping to prevent corrosion - like an AK gas block. I can't just replace that. I'm hoping I can learn from this gas tube and perhaps work on a bit bigger problem.

By the way, I did try all kinds of brushes and my stash of chemicals and it just keeps coming back. So obviously I'm not doing something right.

#21 ·
why not?

if you get into gas block issues you can buy a new barrel with a gas block installed for not too much money.

are you expecting a gas block problem? :|
At this point no. I've been checking it every other day since I gave it a really, really good scrubbing and no rust as far as I can tell. I was worried because I got from someone who shot corrosive ammo and didn't do a good cleaning regimen. There was a lot of carbon build-up. I managed to remove most of it and actually revealed a nice chrome-lining inside. However, there were dark spots that I was not able to remove and I'm not sure if those are signs of rust underneath. The inside of the block is not smooth and there are a lot of grooves and machine marks where crap can accumulate.

Buying a new chrome-line barrel with the gas block is not what I had in mind. This is not exactly an Arsenal and there's only so much I'm willing to put into it. It's in very, very good condition considering what it had been through, with the exception of the gas tube. It certainly needed some love and attention - even for an AK.

I plan to shoot more corrosive ammo through it so I'm making doubly sure my restoration process will hold up.

Here's the rifle (on the right).

#22 ·
even if it were an arsenal... it would still only be an AK.

I really wouldn't stress over it. clean it up as best you can and run the hell out of it. these rifles have been known to shoot the same ammo we are calling the "milsurp corrosive" under less than optimal conditions while being neglected by people that don't know and don't care if they should clean it thoroughly and they last for years and years.

make it a tool and treat it thusly.

#23 ·
even if it were an arsenal... it would still only be an AK.

I really wouldn't stress over it. clean it up as best you can and run the hell out of it. these rifles have been known to shoot the same ammo we are calling the "milsurp corrosive" under less than optimal conditions while being neglected by people that don't know and don't care if they should clean it thoroughly and they last for years and years.

make it a tool and treat it thusly.
Sure, it's just an AK and yes, it's just a tool. I have a lot of tools and I clean my tools after I use them. I still got my Craftsman 500+ something socket set that I bought 15 years ago and they still look good as new and I use those a lot. There are tools I could care less for, like shovels and picks. I have a couple of them and they are rusted like you wouldn't believe.

I'd like to think that I can keep using this AK for a while, even pass it on to my kids. I enjoy shooting it and keep shooting it for many years to come.

As much as people like to believe that it's an AK and it will take some abuse, it's still mechanical and is made of stuff that can corrode and weaken with time.

#24 ·
Sure, it's just an AK and yes, it's just a tool. I have a lot of tools and I clean my tools after I use them. I still got my Craftsman 500+ something socket set that I bought 15 years ago and they still look good as new and I use those a lot. There are tools I could care less for, like shovels and picks. I have a couple of them and they are rusted like you wouldn't believe.

I'd like to think that I can keep using this AK for a while, even pass it on to my kids. I enjoy shooting it and keep shooting it for many years to come.

As much as people like to believe that it's an AK and it will take some abuse, it's still mechanical and is made of stuff that can corrode and weaken with time.

well sure. as long as you do your part (reasonably) it will last longer than you will. I just wouldn't be all extra anal about it. its not perfect and *deep breath* that's ok...

as far as firearms go they are common and not that expensive. not that they are disposable really but its fun to have a knock around rifle you don't need to polish the finger prints off of or worry about scratching or a fleck of rust. ya know?

^ that's a beautiful thing.

#25 ·
well sure. as long as you do your part (reasonably) it will last longer than you will. I just wouldn't be all extra anal about it. its not perfect and *deep breath* that's ok...

as far as firearms go they are common and not that expensive. not that they are disposable really but its fun to have a knock around rifle you don't need to polish the finger prints off of or worry about scratching or a fleck of rust. ya know?

^ that's a beautiful thing.
That's some nice finish.:)

I'm not losing sleep over it. All I want to know are best practices people have done in removing rust amid keeping it off. There's a lesson in that beyond just replacing a cheap AK part.

I've got the info that I need to get started and will be doing some science experiments this weekend. Maybe I'll restore that rusted pick axe. Oh, and the gas tube. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.