Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i should be getting my cc permit in a couple of weeks. i already have a 45c and am going to purchase a 9sc in a week or two. i am going to carry iwb but dont know exactly where, probably behind my left hip or small of back.what is a good starting holster to try. also if i carry in small of back wouldn't i need a right handed holster. i am a lefty. thanks

·
Registered
825 Posts
Just been discussing the comfort of the Uncle Mikes Sidecicks, in another thread -
here's my XD9sc in one:

It stays where I put it and I barely notice it's there, it doesn't print very easily and keeps the pistol close to my body.

I'm a pretty lean guy too, which makes concealment more of a challenge.

And the best part? $12.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
your correct on needing a RH holster for LH carry on the small of your back. but consider, your going to be sitting on it constantly and its really an awkward draw.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Just been discussing the comfort of the Uncle Mikes Sidecicks, in another thread -
here's my XD9sc in one:

It stays where I put it and I barely notice it's there, it doesn't print very easily and keeps the pistol close to my body.

I'm a pretty lean guy too, which makes concealment more of a challenge.

And the best part? $12.
what thread is that?
what size is holster is that?
Where you find it for $12?
My 40SC doesn't fit nearly that nicely in the one I picked up for $16. Its a LH to carry in the small of my back, Im considering a RH for strong side carry.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here's another option, the Phantom modular holster from Raven Concealment Systems.
Seen here sporting my XDsvc, Jay makes them for all XD barrel lengths. My XDsc fits snugly with just the extra inch of superfluous kydex out front.

Lots of guys on here seem to like the Crossbreed / Supertuck holsters, I might too if they didn't contain leather.

·
Registered
825 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
MTAC Minotaur. LH
I feel that the only things that makes it better than the crossbreed is the adjust ability of the cant and rise and the ability to change Kydex halves and carry other guns. I do that with my 9sc and XD 45. The MTAC really is designed to be carried behind the hip over your rear pocket. This aids in reducing printing and symmetry.
I don't think leather is a problem with a carry gun. Remove it from the holster every other day or so and wipe it down with a silicone cloth. Field strip it and clean as normal twice a month if not shooting. That being said, SHOOT it often.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I don't think leather is a problem with a carry gun.
The MTAC looks like a really versatile rig, I seriously wish there was an alternative to the leather backing. . . . something like the micro-fibre based breathable synthetic leathers they use for high-end boat/yacht upholstery.

FWIW - My problem with leather isn't a practical one, it's a personal one.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Can't believe no one's said it yet:

Crossbreed Supertuck!

Very comfy, adjustable, affordable ($65-$80 I think..) and you can buy them right here from the Crossbreed sub-forum under Site Sponsors. Also Mark's a good guy who contributes here often.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that uncle mike's holster looks like a nice one to use for a quick trip to the store . i have been looking at the crossbreeds and the m-tac looks impressive. will i have to have a holster for each gun or will some holsters fit the 45c andthe 9sc. i am gonna start out carrying the sc first. thanks for the great info.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ok, I bought the size 12, and while it "fits", you wont get it back in unless you pull the holster out of your pants.

I think I will run by the place I got the size 12 and see if they have a RH size 16.
This is the reason I do not like the simple clip style. Even if I have one that fits, size 15, it seems to pull out the holster off my belt. That being said, I have never tried IWB. Still looking for the right one.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My Crossbreed supertuck works for my .45 service model, and I carried my XD 9mm SC in it too.

I'm currently carrying my XD-M in it as well.

Not sure why motolex has issues with leather, but I won't carry all day with a kydex inner on my holster. Leather is MUCH more comfortable and conforming for me.
The kydex outer is nice though, for a fast draw and easy reholstering.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This is the reason I do not like the simple clip style. Even if I have one that fits, size 15, it seems to pull out the holster off my belt. That being said, I have never tried IWB. Still looking for the right one.
it seems like all iwb holsters would collapse when the pistol is drawn.
Other IWB holsters look like I would have to go up another three pants sizes.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
it seems like all iwb holsters would collapse when the pistol is drawn.
Other IWB holsters look like I would have to go up another three pants sizes.
Most good leather holsters have a reinforced band at the top to prevent collapse as shown In Lazy R's post. Generally you would have to go 1" bigger on the waist size for IWB. I personally go with the relaxed fit pants.

I think another consideration is retention. Uncle Mikes holster price point while unbeatable offers no retention like the Crossbreeds and MTACS. These UM holsters are slick and I can see that gun popping out while running.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts