Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good shooting rest to make zeroing optics easier. I've been browsing the Midway shooting rests and costs go from $30 to $230. The Caldwell lead sled seemed to get great reviews but was a little spendier than I want to go. Your advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The lead sled is great for heavy recoiling rifles like the 375H&H, 416. etc. It isn't really necessary for the .300WM class rifles and lower unless you are particularly recoil shy. The other issue with the lead sled is that it does NOT include the 40-50lbs of lead shot, sand, gravel, etc. that are needed to weight the sled down (that'll be another expense to tack on to the sticker price).

I have one of the Caldwell/Midway USA BR-1000 rests that I picked up a few years ago with a free hard-side plastic case, etc. for around $150. They put those on sale a few times a year. It is a very solid rest (16 or so pounds) with plenty of elevation and windage adjustment, and an all-around great product for the money.

The only "gripe" about the rest is the completely pathetic bag that Caldwell ships it with!! It is worthless. It is a 3-lobe design that is very thin, very ineffective and of generally poor design and implementation. If you buy the Caldwell rest, be prepared to pick up a couple of Protektor front bags or even the Caldwell front bags that will meet the needs of the rifles you are shooting.

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since this is just for zeroing in optics on a very light recoil weapon would one of the cheaper and less robust rests work?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Since this is just for zeroing in optics on a very light recoil weapon would one of the cheaper and less robust rests work?
Yes- Most rifle ranges that I've been to keep a supply of sandbags around for no charge use. I've done fine with these dialing in heavier caliber rifles than my AR.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Cabelas makes one for about $150. it comes w/rest for handguns. it's made of steel, heavy as hell and adjustments(up&down) are made using a big metal nut as opposed to the plastic ones.
right now Cabelas has $20 off a $150 order, which is exactly how I got mine for free freight.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
KEV,
Get a laser boresight if you can ... It will put you on paper very quickly.

I use mine at dawn or dusk when it is easier to see the laser and still provide enough light to see the crosshairs of a scope.

Dial in at a known range, then sandbag it at a range, or just use a bipod if equipped ... The key is stability as you hold the crosshairs on target ... Three shots then adjust accordingly.

I use this method and can usually be nailing the limits of the ammo with very few shots taken.
FWIW: This is the one I use - Cabela's Laser Boresighter

Best of luck!!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I was thinking of just filling up some sandbags and throwing a towel of them. I need to keep the rifle as steady as possible so I can see how accurate my sights are on my M1A. So I know that if I mess the target its me not the rifle.

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KEV,
Get a laser boresight if you can ... It will put you on paper very quickly.

I use mine at dawn or dusk when it is easier to see the laser and still provide enough light to see the crosshairs of a scope.

Dial in at a known range, then sandbag it at a range, or just use a bipod if equipped ... The key is stability as you hold the crosshairs on target ... Three shots then adjust accordingly.

I use this method and can usually be nailing the limits of the ammo with very few shots taken.
FWIW: This is the one I use - Cabela's Laser Boresighter

Best of luck!!
Thanks .... Now that you mention it I have one of these and totally forgot about it. Think I'll take your advice and start with that and just make some homemade sandbags and go from there.

Somehow my EoTech got off zero but I'm not sure how .... haven't bumped or dropped the AR. First hint things weren't as they have been is that I had to cant the rifle to see the reticle clearly. Second hint was I found I had to hold left of the jugs I was shooting to hit them.

I hope it's just a matter of resetting my zero and not an issue with the optic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts