Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My entrance into AR ownership newb-ism has created another problem for me.. Originally thinking that a16" HBAR barrel wouldnt bother me, I have used the rifle enough now to know this is not the case. Its just too damn heavy.. Even from the bench. Instead of having bought the M4 barreled version of the doublestar AR I bought for ten dollars more in the first place, it seems like my only option (cheap option) is to have my current barrel reprofiled.

I have been hearing good things about ADCO, and they are only a few hours drive from me.. If I'm reading it right, I would pay $110 for the reprofiling (parkerizing included) as well as $50 for upper disassembly/reassembly (i lack the proper tools). $160 total. I figured Id just go with the full length M4 profile.. They estimated a weight loss of an entire pound. Is there only one "M4 profile" schematic, or do I have to specifiy measurements? I'm never going to mount an M203, I just figured Id get the authentic military profile with all the right cuts since it's a flat rate.

I just wanted some opinions on whether this is my best option. Its something I can afford and want to do... Are there any dangers to doing this to an hbar? I wont have to worry about issues with the bore being off center or anything like that?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
With that much machine work being done to a barrel, I would wonder if it wouldn't need stress relieved afterwards.

·
Registered
957 Posts
would't it be easier to by the barrel profile you want, have it installed then sell the other to recoup some cash?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would't it be easier to by the barrel profile you want, have it installed then sell the other to recoup some cash?
I'm not sure if I can guarantee that I can sell this barrel in the first place.. It's just chrome moly, not chrome lined. Has about 110 rounds through it, so it's practically brand new.. I'm not sure if the difference between a new M4 profile barrel + install and the money I get from selling this would be much less than the $160 I'm looking to spend now.. I guess Id prefer that route if it would be cheaper.. These guys at ADCO have a good track record from what I hear.. Not sure what is meant by the barrel needing "stress relieved" after having that machining done to it..??

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
.. Not sure what is meant by the barrel needing "stress relieved" after having that machining done to it..??
That's a lot of metal being removed from the barrel. This link may help explain it better. The Making of a Rifled Barrel, FirearmsID.com

production processes involved in making the steel bar leave residual stresses, which can result in the bar bending as steel is removed in making the barrel. The stress can be relieved by putting the steel in an oven and taking it up to 600 C, then allowing it to cool very slowly over the next twelve hours or so. Barrel steel is usually double stress relieved to make absolutely sure it stays straight through the various machining processes.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I've seen new 5.56 M4 barrels for under $120.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I've seen new 5.56 M4 barrels for under $120.
By all means, you can monsoon on my parade just tell me where to look/buy because I would much rather buy if I could get one that cheap. The only thing, is that I am trying to avoid having to do any additional mods to fit a new barrel. Would I need a new FSB? Do the barrels have a flash hider (or is it easy to slap on my current hider I have on my hbar)? I want to be able to just slap the new barrel into my upper without having to buy additonal parts. Possible?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts