Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy my father-in-law some good home defense ammo for his Taurus 92 9mm and his .357 mag. I'm new to firearms so I don't know a whole lot about what's good ammo and what's not. He's had the 9mm since about 1990-92ish and the .357 back in the 80's, do you think these will hold +P ammo?

·
Registered
29,597 Posts
First off, there is no such thing as .357mag +P. Any manufacturer that claims they make it is full of (dung).

Second off, it's not necessary to go to a +P round in 9mm to get good terminal performance.

Third--read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
Not only does it give ammo recommendations that will pass IWBA/FBI specs, but it also tells you why it's good to have ammo that passes these tests.

Note that there are many choices for 9mm loads that are not +P--and also note they are all 147gr loads. Try picking one of them, and--THIS IS IMPORTANT--have your father put a few magazines of it--ENTIRE magazines--through his pistol--he should do it, not you. If they are 100% reliable, and shoots with what he considers acceptible control and accuracy, he's got a good load for his pistol. Stock up.

As for .357 mag--I'd go with either a good 125 or 158gr JHP load. I like Gold Dots.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
First off, there is no such thing as .357mag +P. Any manufacturer that claims they make it is full of (dung).

Second off, it's not necessary to go to a +P round in 9mm to get good terminal performance.

Third--read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
Not only does it give ammo recommendations that will pass IWBA/FBI specs, but it also tells you why it's good to have ammo that passes these tests.

Note that there are many choices for 9mm loads that are not +P--and also note they are all 147gr loads. Try picking one of them, and--THIS IS IMPORTANT--have your father put a few magazines of it--ENTIRE magazines--through his pistol--he should do it, not you. If they are 100% reliable, and shoots with what he considers acceptible control and accuracy, he's got a good load for his pistol. Stock up.

As for .357 mag--I'd go with either a good 125 or 158gr JHP load. I like Gold Dots.
Good advice. Me though, I prefer a 9mm+P load in any bullet wt. JMO, the 9mm needs any add'l. wounding capability it can muster. In 357mag, I prefer something in the midwt bullet ragne, like 140-145gr, but there are few good choices anymore. Tough to go wrong w/ any 125grJHP loading. If your FIL is NOT a seasoned shooter though, full house 357mags are diff to shoot well. Nothing wrong w/ the old 38sp+P 158grLSWCHP in a 357mag.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Good advice. Me though, I prefer a 9mm+P load in any bullet wt. JMO, the 9mm needs any add'l. wounding capability it can muster. In 357mag, I prefer something in the midwt bullet ragne, like 140-145gr, but there are few good choices anymore. Tough to go wrong w/ any 125grJHP loading. If your FIL is NOT a seasoned shooter though, full house 357mags are diff to shoot well. Nothing wrong w/ the old 38sp+P 158grLSWCHP in a 357mag.

It depends on the Projectile though. I know you like the 124 XTP +P by BlackHills and +P does help that projectile.

The problem with the majority of +P loads is they cap them off with projectiles designed to expand at slower velocity. The result is aggressive early expansion that does limit penetration. For example the Winchester 115 Ranger +P+ load uses the same projectile as the WWB Personal Protection ammo from walmart. I have used both on critters and the Walmart bought slower load in every instance gave me more penetration.

+P can hinder performance in most cases and in very few (depending on projectile construction or design) help it. Only way you find out is to go shoot some critters and that takes time and is messy, but worth it to me.....

Stick to a solid copper projectile or the XTP and just add speed with them two to get more performance. Wouldn't trust anyothers designed for expansion at slower velocity......

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It depends on the Projectile though. I know you like the 124 XTP +P by BlackHills and +P does help that projectile.

The problem with the majority of +P loads is they cap them off with projectiles designed to expand at slower velocity. The result is aggressive early expansion that does limit penetration. For example the Winchester 115 Ranger +P+ load uses the same projectile as the WWB Personal Protection ammo from walmart. I have used both on critters and the Walmart bought slower load in every instance gave me more penetration.

+P can hinder performance in most cases and in very few (depending on projectile construction or design) help it. Only way you find out is to go shoot some critters and that takes time and is messy, but worth it to me.....

Stick to a solid copper projectile or the XTP and just add speed with them two to get more performance. Wouldn't trust anyothers designed for expansion at slower velocity......
Agree, but I have always siad, bullet design matters more than velocity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts