Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my father-in-law was given a $500 gift certificate to his LGS for his 70th birthday. His criteria for this purchase:

1. It has to be a revolver. He has some nerve damage in his left arm/wrist and can't cycle a slide at all.

2. It has to be .38spl, because... well, he's old and that's what he wants! ;)

He went by the shop today and shot me an email about these two. The Taurus is $400, and the Smith is $680.

Considering this will be his home defense gun, and he is only going to visit the range a few times a year, is the Smith worth the $280 premium?

All opinions/suggestions welcome. And thanks in advance. ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am one of the few folks on here that actually LIKE Taurus fire arms. And I will suggest you look to the S&W. Taurus was truly making a comeback under Mark Kresser. Sadly the company was a victim of a hostile take over and fired Mark. I can no longer say that I know for sure you will have good luck with Customer Service or even if the fire arms are worth the risk of owning. Do your Dad a favor spend the extra on a firearm that you know for sure will have support if it is needed.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
In my opinion ,,,, yes.... Defiantly a better gun, And another note , I have been reading multiple threads of taurus quality control being worse than ever, I'd by a smith or a ruger over any other brand in that price bracket.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Does he want something light too? Just thinking. A GP100 is very soft shooting with .38's, but it's pretty hefty. And chambered for .357, but the chamfering shouldn't be a problem.

What about an older model 10? I'm currently looking at one for a truck gun.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I refuse to buy a Taurus firearm.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
I owned a Model 10 (sold it a year or two back, to a good friend here at XDTalk); it is a light enough revolver and it is easy on the hands when shooting .38spl ammo and I suspect your FIL would have no problem with it; he can shoot it either SA or DA, at his choice. If I were in your shoes, rather than new, look for a gently used Model 10 (or a Model 64)... you should be able to find one in great shape for less than you'd pay new for the Taurus revolver.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Smith all day long. A Ruger GP running .38 through it might be nice for him too. Heft of the gun AMD lighter specials shouldake for a.comfy shooter.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So my father-in-law was given a $500 gift certificate to his LGS for his 70th birthday. His criteria for this purchase:

1. It has to be a revolver. He has some nerve damage in his left arm/wrist and can't cycle a slide at all.

2. It has to be .38spl, because... well, he's old and that's what he wants! ;)

He went by the shop today and shot me an email about these two. The Taurus is $400, and the Smith is $680.

Considering this will be his home defense gun, and he is only going to visit the range a few times a year, is the Smith worth the $280 premium?

All opinions/suggestions welcome. And thanks in advance. ;)
If he can handle the weight, have him look at a Ruger SP101.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I am one of the few folks on here that actually LIKE Taurus fire arms.
And I'm a fan, too. I think either will serve him well, and the Taurus will save you some bucks for ammo, grips, etc.

I will go on to say I own two Model 10's. You can't go wrong there. When they make the Model 10, they broke the mold.

If possible, take him to the gun store and let him try the feel of both and make his own decision.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Seriously?? Your debating a Taurus over a Smith??? Smith all the way! No question!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probably should have added my father-in-law's motto:

Cheap is good. Free is better.

He called tonight and let me know he already went down to the store and handled both of 'em. (He's limited to what they have on hand, as he can't/won't order something. Again, he's old.) He really liked the Smith, but he's going to get the Taurus. He said it felt fine, and the trigger was acceptable. He'll be bringing it on their next visit in October (they're in New Orleans, in case I hadn't mentioned that), so I'll get a chance to check it out.

After tax, he'll still have a little free money for a holster, and he wants to replace the grips. ;)

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I can't say I see his logic, but I'm glad he found something he likes.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I probably should have added my father-in-law's motto:

Cheap is good. Free is better.

He called tonight and let me know he already went down to the store and handled both of 'em. (He's limited to what they have on hand, as he can't/won't order something. Again, he's old.) He really liked the Smith, but he's going to get the Taurus. He said it felt fine, and the trigger was acceptable. He'll be bringing it on their next visit in October (they're in New Orleans, in case I hadn't mentioned that), so I'll get a chance to check it out.

After tax, he'll still have a little free money for a holster, and he wants to replace the grips. ;)
Once that taurus cyl goes out of time and starts shaving lead he'll wish he'd bought the smith. Or if hes only gonna put 1 cyl a year though it it should last a lil while. "cheap is good, free is better" seldom pans out when it comes to firearms.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Pretty much. There's a few budget friendly models that are the exception to the rule but Taurus isn't one I'd go by.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have both of these. The Titanium .357 mag I like a lot and the .44 is not bad at all. They quit making the titanium model some time ago. Their autos I had and sold I didn't care for so much.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts