1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I have 3 muzzle brakes on my SAR

Traditional Slant Brake
Phantom BirdCage style
AK74 style

I've had all 3 on throughout various shooting sessions and will highly recommend the AK74 style brake. Goes agreat job on reducing recoil, much better than the other two. You won't be disappointed

However, you might check out Cope's Dist for it, it's half the price and still a US product.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the Tapco AK74 after reading good customer reviews.

By the way, I love your avatar! This is my boomstick!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've got a 74 style muzzle brake for my WASR 10 and it works FANTASTIC. It tames the recoil like a champ. There's also something visually pleasing about the AK 74 style muzzle brake that makes an AK look better. It makes the barrel look longer (therefore making it look like it's way more accurate) and the rifle itself leaner. Of course that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
+1 on Tapco 74
My AK now feels like my AR (recoil wise)

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I've got a 74 style muzzle brake for my WASR 10 and it works FANTASTIC. It tames the recoil like a champ. There's also something visually pleasing about the AK 74 style muzzle brake that makes an AK look better. It makes the barrel look longer (therefore making it look like it's way more accurate) and the rifle itself leaner. Of course that's just my opinion.
making it "look more accurate" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
While I'm happy to hear you guys like your junior high school metal shop grade muzzle brakes, if you really want to see 'recoil reduction', you should buy a 14x1LH to 24mm adapter and use an accurate American made copy of the AK74 brake.

Krebs sells this.

AK-103.com sells this.

Elk River Tool & Die may still have some in stock from the Global Trades days.

These Tapco "AK74 style" brakes offer nothing except added weight on the muzzle. They do not have expansion chambers or staggered vent holes.

Of your two choices, in my opinion, you'll get more performance-per-dollar with the M16 style flash hider.

As far as the "AK74 style" "brake", buy cheap and get cheap.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
These Tapco "AK74 style" brakes offer nothing except added weight on the muzzle. They do not have expansion chambers or staggered vent holes.

My Tapco AK74 muzzle break has 4 slant holes and 2 straight holes in it. These would not make a difference in recoil?

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts

My Tapco AK74 muzzle break has 4 slant holes and 2 straight holes in it. These would not make a difference in recoil?
Not as much as a standard AK-74 brake/compensator...these are it, non have the two vent hole in line with each other...

An assortment of AK-74 series muzzle devices. (left to right): (1) Russian AKS-74U, featuring muzzle booster expansion chamber and cone hider; (2) Romanian AK-74 muzzle brake, with no gas vent slits and smaller diameter; (3) German MPiAK-74N muzzle brake, featuring Russian "zigzag" design gas vents and shiny black enamel finish; (4) Bulgarian AK-74 brake with two piece construction circular gas vents (similar to latest Russian design for AK-74M/AK-100); (5) Russian AK-74 late Afghan era "zigzag pattern; and (6) Polish KbK wz.88 featuring grenade launching capability.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Noveske's flaming pig was at least somewhat based on the AKS-74U. There's a lot of guys who swear that it helps reduce flash and recoil, though I have shot AR's that had them on it, and I didn't see much benefit to using one whatsoever.

YouTube - Weapons Training POF P-415 9.25" Carbine

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Wow, you post douche bag insults on the internet. You must be a big important man......a** hole

I have a legit AK74 muzzle brake (not Tapco) and it makes a huge difference. thus the reason I tried to point him in the direction of Cope's rather than Tapco.

But your insults were completely uncalled for. He asked for an opinion on a muzzle brake, not to be belittled and called names. XD Talk used to be a step above forums like AR15 and that's why people came here and that's why members stayed here. But you came out of nowhere with insults rather than actual advice. You are a little, little man

BTW, nothing like an ugly ass additional chunk of metal (24mm adapter) to ruin the aesthetics of a legendary rifle.

While I'm happy to hear you guys like your junior high school metal shop grade muzzle brakes, if you really want to see 'recoil reduction', you should buy a 14x1LH to 24mm adapter and use an accurate American made copy of the AK74 brake.

Krebs sells this.

AK-103.com sells this.

Of your two choices, in my opinion, you'll get more performance-per-dollar with the M16 style flash hider.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Wow, you post douche bag insults on the internet. You must be a big important man......a** hole

I have a legit AK74 muzzle brake (not Tapco) and it makes a huge difference. thus the reason I tried to point him in the direction of Cope's rather than Tapco.

But your insults were completely uncalled for. He asked for an opinion on a muzzle brake, not to be belittled and called names. XD Talk used to be a step above forums like AR15 and that's why people came here and that's why members stayed here. But you came out of nowhere with insults rather than actual advice. You are a little, little man
Please show me where I called anyone "names" or insulted them.

I belittled the Crapco straight-through muzzle device, by calling it exactly what it is.

You, however, seem to be jumping on me "personally".
BTW, nothing like an ugly ass additional chunk of metal (24mm adapter) to ruin the aesthetics of a legendary rifle.

Krebs sells this.

AK-103.com sells this.

How is it 'ruining the aesthetics? It's completely hidden under the 24mm muzzle device.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts

If your compensator isn't 24.5/1, you have a 'me too' look alike. There is a reason for it being that big, it needs the 'chamber' to make it work. And its funny to think its 'ugly chunk of metal', cause you never see it since it is inside the compensator and is never seen..

Whats so ugly??

still looking for the 'ugliness'

even the M1s look good....

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please show me where I called anyone "names" or insulted them.
Here's a gentle reminder to think before pressing the "submit reply" button. These are the words that were offensive:

While I'm happy to hear you guys like your junior high school metal shop grade muzzle brakes.
You either were insulting the intelligence of those who had posted before you on this thread by essentially saying they have a juvenile knowledge of firearms as indicated by their choice in muzzle brake, or you were insulting their guns, which any gun owner should know is akin to insulting someone's mother. Either way, your comments were unnecessary, in poor taste, and obviously insulting by the glaring response you received from K9.

It's ok to be opinionated, it's another thing to make jerk-off remarks directed at others. I'm saying this as someone who has in the past made poor choices in words when posting and as a result did apologize toward those I made inflammatory remarks.

That all being said, than you for your remarks. I do like the looks of the Krebs compensator, but I'm having a hard time justifying an $80 price tag for a 2" piece of metal to bolt onto a $500 gun. I will think seriously about it. The Krebs peep sight and enhanced safety are also tempting. Again, it's the price tag. If I went after all three parts, I'd bee looking at $210 over the price of the AK.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks for having my back!

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
any thoughts on this unit from dinzag ? i dont know if he makes them or is a reseller. Are these any good.

I have a .223 saiga and don't have nearly as many choices as you guys with 7.62x39 aks.

dinzagarms

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
any thoughts on this unit from dinzag ? i dont know if he makes them or is a reseller. Are these any good.

I have a .223 saiga and don't have nearly as many choices as you guys with 7.62x39 aks.

dinzagarms

It's the same type as I spoke of earlier. Brian reams 'em out and drills and taps a hole for a set screw, and it just fits right over the neutered muzzle of your Saiga. Doesn't do much but add weight to the muzzle end and "looks' like an AK74 brake.

As far as choices, you can always cut off the Klinton sleeve and thread your muzzle 1/2x28 and use an AR15 muzzle device with a crush washer.

Or, you could get hotbarrel to fab you a 1/2x28 to 24mm adapter and use any 24mm muzzle device (922r considerations, and all)

Or, you could get a threaded front sight block and use any 24mm muzzle device you liked (with 922r compliance in mind, of course). The sight block is just held on with two pins.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
That all being said, than you for your remarks. I do like the looks of the Krebs compensator, but I'm having a hard time justifying an $80 price tag for a 2" piece of metal to bolt onto a $500 gun. I will think seriously about it. The Krebs peep sight and enhanced safety are also tempting. Again, it's the price tag. If I went after all three parts, I'd bee looking at $210 over the price of the AK.

K-VAR Corporation :: Spare Parts & Accessories :: Compensators :: AK-141B
$52 plus shipping. You can get adapters almost anywhere...

Assault rifle parts supplier | AA-OK
$58 plus shipping...

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
As far as choices, you can always cut off the Klinton sleeve and thread your muzzle 1/2x28 and use an AR15 muzzle device with a crush washer.
That would be fine especially for the 5.45 or 5.56 AK74, but for a 7.62x39 AK47, you'd need an AR hider/braker specifically for that caliber since the bore hole would need to be a lot bigger, but the barrel threading is the same for both.

Just throwing that out there. ;-)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
That would be fine especially for the 5.45 or 5.56 AK74, but for a 7.62x39 AK47, you'd need an AR hider/braker specifically for that caliber since the bore hole would need to be a lot bigger, but the barrel threading is the same for both.

Just throwing that out there. ;-)
Sorry about that, I was answering billbrasky with some options for .223 calibered Kalashnikovs.

Believe it or not, the 5.45x39 AKs can be cut for 14x1LH threads, whereupon you can use standard AKM muzzle devices as discussed earlier.

I'm not sure why the .223 barreled AKs use a smaller barrel diameter.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts