Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's sad that I'm JUST NOW buying my first Ruger 10/22 after all these years of shooting. I've shot my brothers and tried talking him into selling it to me about a dozen times but could never get him to budge. And comparing older ones to newer ones they just don't seem to be made like they used to... But what is, really?

Anyways, I ran across an older 10/22 that was fired very little and has been a safe queen for the past few years that came with a VQ THM barrel (can be seen here: Volquartsen Match Barrel Ruger 10/22 22 Long Rifle THM Tension .920" Diameter 1 in 16" Twist 16-1/2" Aluminum Sleeve Black - MidwayUSA), Hogue overmolded stock, Buffer Tech recoil pin, Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 3-9x40mm w/ BC flip up covers, Leupold QD medium rings, and a couple factory 10 round mags for $350 shipped. I've now got $375 in it after the transfer fee...

But unlike my brothers 10/22 I find myself needing to wear ear protection to avoid them from ringing after awhile. So I am searching for a quiet subsonic round that is still powerful enough to cycle the action by itself, but yet won't break the bank (I'd prefer to buy in bulk) and will allow me to shoot without plugs. Any advice on what brand and where to buy would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's one... anybody else?

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Cci subsonic

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wow I wouldn't recommend the 60 grains personally. Remington makes a sub-sonic round for pretty cheap that should cycle reliably? (1050fps) I personally go with CCI and Federal bulk but it's a bit hotter...

The Remington's in question are the 38 grain hollow-points. The 60 grains mentioned have tumbling issues because of the grain and twist of the 10/22. I would expect keyholes from the 60 grain with the 10/22.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow I wouldn't recommend the 60 grains personally. Remington makes a sub-sonic round for pretty cheap that should cycle reliably? (1050fps) I personally go with CCI and Federal bulk but it's a bit hotter...
Yeah I was just looking at the Aguila SSS 60gr and don't know if I'd want that... I have plenty of Federal Champion, Lighting, and AutoMatch, but just need something quieter. I think I'll just go to Wal-Mart and pick up a couple different kinds and see which performs best.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sub sonic is not a substitute for hearing protection, its the decibel level that matters...
Yes, but I've never ran across a subsonic load in .22lr that's louder than regular and HV loads.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Yes, but I've never ran across a subsonic load in .22lr that's louder than regular and HV loads.
The difference will be the sonic 'crack' you hear with high velocity rounds... the sound of the round being fired is only a slight percentage less than a HV round, its your hearing though;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I can find a decibel meter for a decent price I am going to use it to test the difference in my brothers 10/22 vs. mine and both with the same standard loads and subsonic loads... Check back in a week or two for an update.

*EDIT*

Those decibels rating sounds way off for .22lr. Someone else tested different subsonic and HV loads with a decibel meter here (http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=65235) and they are no where near 135 and 140. A lot of people say anything above 85dB can cause hearing loss, but that's from prolonged exposure. Even OSHA will allow employees to be exposed to 90dB for up to 8 hours a day, but less than 15 minutes for 115dB. I would hope people working in places where they are exposed to loud noises day after day always wear hearing protection... But no way is a 22lr subsonic load 135dB!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
the aguila SSS is pretty nice and feeds 100% in my 10/22. i use them for varmints. mainly armadillos. not very loud either.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Sig Misquito and a 10"bbl 10-22; both with Elite Iron's Echo Supressors. All NFA rules apply. Extremely quiet with excellent accuracy.

Cycling sooos far has been 100%. About 5 bricks shot off sosss far. All you hear outside is the bolt cycling back and forth and a small "pop".

However....the max engagement range soosss far as been less than 60 yards....I dunno how 100 yds would work. Both are plinkers and pest busters.

HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not going to be shooting anything suppressed so that's not the kind of info I'm looking for... I want something that's as quite as I can get, but preferably that's still powerful enough to cycle the bolt on my 10/22.

And I went to Wal-Mart today and they only had one subsonic round, which was Remington brand. I compared those to Federal Champion, Federal Lightning, and Federal AutoMatch and the Remington Subsonic was a LITTLE bit quieter but not much. I think I'll have to try Academy and see what they carry...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok Academy's subsonic selection sucks too. They had the same Remington, and a Wichester CB Long, that the guy behind the counter said is almost identical to the CCI CB Long, so I know it won't cycle my 10/22. But I picked up one 50 round box to test it and see how much quieter it is.

And I'm still looking for a good digital decibel meter... The one I will probably end up going with and that I'm willing to spend the money on only goes to 135dB, but that should be plenty high for my purpose.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If I can find a decibel meter for a decent price I am going to use it to test the difference in my brothers 10/22 vs. mine and both with the same standard loads and subsonic loads... Check back in a week or two for an update.

*EDIT*

Those decibels rating sounds way off for .22lr. Someone else tested different subsonic and HV loads with a decibel meter here (Zombie Squad • View topic - .22 Subsonic Rounds Test) and they are no where near 135 and 140. A lot of people say anything above 85dB can cause hearing loss, but that's from prolonged exposure. Even OSHA will allow employees to be exposed to 90dB for up to 8 hours a day, but less than 15 minutes for 115dB. I would hope people working in places where they are exposed to loud noises day after day always wear hearing protection... But no way is a 22lr subsonic load 135dB!
Those arent my stats, just what I found in a quick search, YMMV... but its still going to be way over whats considered damaging to your hearing anyway if its not quite that high;)

Subsonic simply means you dont hear the "crack" of the supersonic rounds... its still almost just as loud, gunpowder is NOT quiet... many handgun rounds are WELL below sonic and are very loud... think about it!

·
Registered
957 Posts
You could install a reduced power recoil spring or
Convert to fire .22 short Volquartsen still makes conversion kit, not cheap
or just buy a pair of quality electronic hearing protection

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those arent my stats, just what I found in a quick search, YMMV... but its still going to be way over whats considered damaging to your hearing anyway if its not quite that high;)

Subsonic simply means you dont hear the "crack" of the supersonic rounds... its still almost just as loud, gunpowder is NOT quiet... many handgun rounds are WELL below sonic and are very loud... think about it!
Not all subsonic rounds have gunpowder... Some fire low grain projectiles just from the force of the primer. I will most likely have to order those online because no one carries them around here (or at least that I know of). But it looks like that's what I'll end up having to go with, even though I'll have to hand cycle the rifle, because they would be mostly for urban pest control and I just don't want neighbors freaking out. I've even had two sherrifs roll up behind me when I was shooting all the way out in my dads 17 acre pasture well away from the road and outside the city limits because some nosey passerby wanted to try and cause trouble. They both could have cared less and were more interested in what kind of guns I was shooting. Haha!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts