Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna mount a surefire G2/L With a tape switch. Whats a decent mount for the light?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Whatcha gonna mount that light on? Ive got a G2 on my shotgun and used a 1 inch scope mount and put that on a rail. Its very secure and the least expensive way i found to mount a light.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
what makes you say that? personal experience? or because it looks neat in pictures you have seen?
I can honestly say I haven't put one through any intense use yet, I'm looking to pick one up and to fiddle around with for either my rifle or my bro's build (so my endorsement is probably premature if anything). If there's a better one out there, I'm all ears (I'll willingly admit that I'm still new in the AR stuff compared to other folks, still digesting some of the stuff on M4C).

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I personally like the KZ light mount. Have had no issues with it, and has yet to come loose or break on me.

Here's mine...

I think packerfanxd also has the same one, he might chime in on his as well.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Viking Tactical offset light mount:

I have one for my 5.56 and another one for my 6.8SPC. Rock solid, fits the G2 and 6P very well. Doesn't cost nearly as much as the VLTOR or DD, but does the same thing just as well.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As Mike mentioned, since I'm using a tape switch, I probably wont need an off set mount.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
As Mike mentioned, since I'm using a tape switch, I probably wont need an off set mount.
Right, you won't need an off set mount b/c of the tape switch. But personally, I like the offset mount (even when using the tape switch) b/c it minimizes the thickness of the whole rifle. You are having problems looking for a bag that will fit your scope right? I had problems with zipping up my double rifle case when I had a light mount that was not offset. With the off set mount I was able to zip up the case no problems. Without, it was too bulky at that point, it would still close, but it would stretch it.

Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right, you won't need an off set mount b/c of the tape switch. But personally, I like the offset mount (even when using the tape switch) b/c it minimizes the thickness of the whole rifle. You are having problems looking for a bag that will fit your scope right? I had problems with zipping up my double rifle case when I had a light mount that was not offset. With the off set mount I was able to zip up the case no problems. Without, it was too bulky at that point, it would still close, but it would stretch it.

Just something to think about.
Very good point, thanks. :cool:

On a side note: The i-shot bags seem to be the sh##, and they purposely make them tall for optics. As you can see in the pic, they're tall enough for an optic mounted on the carry handled(which is what I have).
:D

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
How bright is the G2?
With the cheap Cree XR-E LED module in it, it's at least half again as bright as the P60 incandescent bulb, and nearly as bright as the P61 bulb... and it stays that way for well over an hour! If I had the money and luck to get a Malkoff Cree module, it would be even better.

Also, why do you have your Holosight mounted so far forward?
I don't anymore. If you look at where a holosight or Aimpoint is mounted on a gooseneck mount with the A2 carry handle, it's over the handguards. This will actually give a better field of view. However if your handguards are not free floating, or if the free floating rails are not aligned perfectly, then your aim could be off. I've since moved it back to the receiver.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
You might want to reconsider the tape switch idea. I had a former marine who spent time in Afghanistan and since works at a gun shop explain to me that the tape switches were causing some soldiers problems because they would inadvertently turn it on when they didn't want to due to stress/anxiety/flinching causing them to tighten their grip. Making your position known before you're ready is considered a "not safe" thing to do.

As far as I'm concerned, skipping the tape switch means there's one less thing to break at the worst possible time.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
You might want to reconsider the tape switch idea. I had a former marine who spent time in Afghanistan and since works at a gun shop explain to me that the tape switches were causing some soldiers problems because they would inadvertently turn it on when they didn't want to due to stress/anxiety/flinching causing them to tighten their grip. Making your position known before you're ready is considered a "not safe" thing to do.

As far as I'm concerned, skipping the tape switch means there's one less thing to break at the worst possible time.
Makes alot of sense. But then you have to get a higher grade Surefire. The G2 doesn't have a click on button, only momentary or screw on constant.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
How bright is the G2?

Also, why do you have your Holosight mounted so far forward?

Straight off the Surefire website.

Max Output: 65/120* lumens
*With optional ultra high-output lamp

Runtime: 60/20* minutes
*With optional ultra high-output lamp

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Makes alot of sense. But then you have to get a higher grade Surefire. The G2 doesn't have a click on button, only momentary or screw on constant.
You can buy the switch for about $25 or less.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts