Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad is giving me a 1911 for a birthday gift, and has allowed me the choice of a ria commander sized or taurus 5'' pt1911. I've read good and bad on both; just want to see what you folks think. This will be my first 1911 (also have a XD45). I have shot 1911s most of my life (springers and kimbers mostly), but the choices are just the 2 above. Uses will be CC and general range time.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
is your Dad restricting you to those two for price point? I ask because new Ruger SR1911 should be close. Bigger than RIA Commander, same size as Taurus 5" that you wrote. Bit big for CC IMHO but doable, great for range use that you wrote. I just got mine Monday for $649. Have read on RugerForum.net that some folks are getting at less than 6 bills, but I just could not wait more than 1 day after release ;) I bet your Dad would favor 100% Made In USA, maybe he'll spring for just a tad more to get that and some great features?

ETA - just noticed that was your first post, so I'll be first to say welcome to a great forum. You might like to introduce yourself at new member welcome center.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I agree, the Ruger is in the same price range and is made by a MUCH more reputable company....and made here. Their customer service is excellent (personal experiences) and the Ruger 1911 is an amazing deal, if you ask me.

I wish it was around, when I bought my Springer GI. The GI is a great 1911, but the Ruger is made here and has more features for very close to the same price. I also own two Colts and a Kimber....and I still want one! LOL

- brickboy240

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have yet to read anything bad about the Rock Islands. I am pretty set on getting a Rock next.

You really can't go wrong with the price either. sub 400 for the GI, and around 500 for the tactical.

I have yet to read anything good on the taurus 1911's though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd get a Rock over a Taurus if those are the only choices. If you can go a little higher I'm going to say a Springfield or the Ruger since I've heard good things.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is your Dad restricting you to those two for price point? I ask because new Ruger SR1911 should be close. Bigger than RIA Commander, same size as Taurus 5" that you wrote. Bit big for CC IMHO but doable, great for range use that you wrote. I just got mine Monday for $649. Have read on RugerForum.net that some folks are getting at less than 6 bills, but I just could not wait more than 1 day after release ;) I bet your Dad would favor 100% Made In USA, maybe he'll spring for just a tad more to get that and some great features?

ETA - just noticed that was your first post, so I'll be first to say welcome to a great forum. You might like to introduce yourself at new member welcome center.

The choice between the 2 are because those are 2 he has that he has never shot/carried. This my first personal 1911, as I previously mentioned, but definatly wont be my last. Thanks for pointing out the Ruger, I did not know they were even making them. I'll have to look into those for reenlistment presents to myself :D

As to using a 1911 for a CC... I've been carrying my XD45 for awhile; conceals nicely and rides comfortably. I'm a pretty big guy, so big guns (to me anyways) arent too bad to carry

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Of the two listed RIA all the way...

The only Taurus I would ever consider buying would be a revolver..
And even with that I'd take a Ruger revolver over a Taurus..;)

Welcome to the forum TBS1911............

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
The choice between the 2 are because those are 2 he has that he has never shot/carried.
ah I get it now, he is giving your first 1911 from his own collection
Thanks for pointing out the Ruger, I did not know they were even making them. I'll have to look into those for reenlistment presents to myself
you are welcome. I had my new Ruger SR1911 out to a weekly Thursday night match last night - it did awesome, hit everything I got front sight on under rush of clock. I was very pleased, I just need to improve speed of my single stack reloads.

you mentioned reenlistment - so thank you for your service and good luck with all you do

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of the two listed RIA all the way...

The only Taurus I would ever consider buying would be a revolver..
And even with that I'd take a Ruger revolver over a Taurus..;)

Welcome to the forum TBS1911............
My wife has the Taurus 709 Slim 9mm that she uses for CC; she bought it while I was out and about in the world, so I didnt really have a say in the matter. It shoots *okay* (not a 9mm fan, or a small pistol fan), never had any issues. That being said, that's my only experience with the Taurus name. RIA I've had 0 experience.

Does anyone know what MIM parts are in each? I assume they are both full of them; Im not expecting a Wilson Combat quality gun, but which would be easier to "non-MIM", I guess. The gun will only be carried as a "main" carry gun until I get a higher quality 1911.

I was looking at getting a Kimber for carry eventually... then again, that Ruger keeps popping up... Might wait a little bit and see how it does, then make that decision.

Thanks for all the welcome:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I copied this from another post I just made but thought it was appropriate here as well.

I shot my RIA Compact yesterday. Both pictures are from 10 yards with 7 rds each. I did the 1st 7 shooting for center of mass and the 2nd 7 aiming at the head. The head was much better since I had become more adjusted to the short trigger pull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts