Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yet another noob question from me...

What exactly will I need to maintain my AR once I get it built? Just a boresnake and some CLP? Any tips?

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I usually just run a bore snake with some hoppes elite and some oil after every shoot. Might wipe down the innards as well, unless I shoot a whole lot I don't bother.

For a detail clean I use large patches with the hoppes elite and wipe down everything, then coat with just a little oil. I'll also run a patch or two down the barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Kinda depends on several factors/things. How much shooting? Field strip or detail strip? Total mileage expected? Actually quite easy.

The military type cleaning kit is very good and may contain everything you need for casual use with cilivian conditions. Easy.

I mean it works for Uncle Sam and it will work for you. Amazing how well the AR performs in some crazy bad conditions.

How many of the build tools do you still have? For high round-count AR's you MAY (may) need stuff like ejector tools, but unlikely.

Shoot the rifle. Have fun. Run up the mileage if you $can$. Specifically, only a military chamber brush is needed. Enjoy. HB of CJ. :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Here is a good starting point that I usually refer those new to the illness known as BRD!!!

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes%5CTech%20Note%2029,%20Rifle%20Cleaning,%2099.04.pdf

Also, if you don't already have one, get yourself a good chamber brush, and some barrel extension/lug rcess swabs to make your cleaning a little easier. If you head over to Midway USA or a similar company, they have some good, basic AR-15-specific cleaning kits and products that work great for cleaning your AR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts