Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new XDS 9 (purchased in April 2014). It is the post recall model. A few weeks ago I shot it for the first time and used Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. I shot about 25 rounds and from what I remember there were no problems.

Yesterday, I took the XDS out for the second time with a 50 round box of Nato ball M882. Around the 40th round and midway through a magazine I pulled the trigger and "click" but no "bang." I removed the round and it had a strike mark on it.

I pulled the trigger again and "click" but no "bang." This round also had a strike mark.

After that, the remainder of the rounds worked.

So, Is the problem the XDS or the ammo? Anyone ever experience this before. I am new to the XDS so is Nato Ball a big no no?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
921 Posts
NATO spec ammo has prety hard primers. I suspect you just got a couple that were particulary hard. Either that or the primers werent werent seated properly.
Did you try to fire the 2 rounds in question again?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NATO spec ammo has prety hard primers. I suspect you just got a couple that were particulary hard. Either that or the primers werent werent seated properly.
Did you try to fire the 2 rounds in question again?
No, I saved them. Should I try to shoot them? I could do it tomorrow.

But, hopefully I see that you are leaning towards the ammo being the problem?

·
Banned
0 Posts

Shoot them again and see if they go boom.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will post a report after the range tomorrow.

Also, I just found a thread on "light strikes."

Guys were frustrated that SA was not recognizing this as a problem.

The guys were suggesting that the problem was lube, mag springs, dirty striker channel etc.

My XDS is barely a month old with less than 100 rounds so I am hoping this is not a problem.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Sometimes they come from Croatia with preservative in the striker assembly. Break it down and clean and keep the striker assembly clean and dry. Any residue will slow the striker and cause light strikes.

·
Registered
921 Posts

I suspect it is ammo related. If you are shooting the same ammo and you only get issues with that ammo, logic dictates not to use it. Just for reference, Federal will have the softest primers and NATO surplus will have the hardest.

Sometimes they come from Croatia with preservative in the striker assembly. Break it down and clean and keep the striker assembly clean and dry. Any residue will slow the striker and cause light strikes.
Yes, this is something that should be done with ANY new firearm. The gunk that guns come coated with from the factory is not a lubricant. It is a protectant and will accumulate dirt really quickly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspect it is ammo related. If you are shooting the same ammo and you only get issues with that ammo, logic dictates not to use it. Just for reference, Federal will have the softest primers and NATO surplus will have the hardest.

Yes, this is something that should be done with ANY new firearm. The gunk that guns come coated with from the factory is not a lubricant. It is a protectant and will accumulate dirt really quickly.
Thanks for the responses and the help!

Last night I field stripped the XDS and learned how to disassemble and clean the firing pin. The firing pin assembly and channel was not gunked up but it was not exactly spotless either. However, it was a good experience to learn how to take it apart and clean. I re-oiled her and got her ready for the range.

This morning I shot 48 Speer Gold Dot 147 gr HP and the original 2 Nato rounds with no problems. I mixed the Nato rounds into the magazines so that I did not anticipate or expect them coming and there were no problems at all.

In a couple of days I am going to shoot another 50 of the Speer Gold Dot and if there are no malfunctions I will be satisfied and stick with the Speer.

Thanks again for the insight and the help in the diagnois!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rico,
I did not even think to open the little envelope to check out what casings were in there.

For some reason, I just put it aside thinking I would keep all of the original material intact in case I ever sold the pistol even though my state does not require fired casings.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Also of note I was told they fire 5 shots at 3 separate targets and include those with the pistol. SA then throws them away when they switch boxes and add the other gear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts