Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We should insist that each state in the US recognize a CCW just like we recognize a Driver's License. Do you need to get finger printed and background checked for a driver's license, nuf said.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I agree 100% but as long as we have the current Congress and current President it will never happen. It would totally eliminate situations like is playing out right now for a Pennsylvania woman who is facing 3+ years in jail in New Jersey for having her gun with her and having hollow points in it.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
State's Rights, boys. That would require some sort of federal law and we already got too much government in our guns.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why my state recognizes others states that do not recognize ours , I definitely wouldn't like a national ccw based on the most restrictive states policies on obtaining one, shall issue is a big deal to me , if you don't have anything on your record you should not be subjected to denial "just because" as some states do . Aka New York . Yes , I agree with you ,states should recognize all other states ccw permits, but defiantly don't want the Feds to take it over , should be left in the individual states to issue,

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
State's Rights, boys. That would require some sort of federal law and we already got too much government in our guns.

I know that but it is still frustrating to be recognized by 37 states including every border state except one but not recognized by a state 15 miles or so from my house... Of course we are talking about the last state to be dragged unwillingly (read forced by federal courts) in the allowing CC by law abiding citizens. In response this state will not recognize any other state. From their requirements all I would have to do with what I currently hold is take another 8 hours of class and become a resident of said state. In MO ******* English... "Ain't gonna happen..." I can even CC when I visit my in-laws in Ohio and CC in Indiana on my way through, but not in Illinois...

As a side note why do we need a permit when our Constitution clearly states "The Right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..." I know this has been extensively discussed but still...

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why my state recognizes others states that do not recognize ours , I definitely wouldn't like a national ccw based on the most restrictive states policies on obtaining one, shall issue is a big deal to me , if you don't have anything on your record you should not be subjected to denial "just because" as some states do . Aka New York . Yes , I agree with you ,states should recognize all other states ccw permits, but defiantly don't want the Feds to take it over , should be left in the individual states to issue,
Some states have more stringent requirements than others. For example, Wisconsin recognizes Michigan C.P.L. but Michigan does not honor Wisconsins ( might have changed by now) due to when Wisc 1st got their carry laws there was no range time required to get a permit. In Michigan there is a required range time. I think we don't accept Az or any other state that does not meet the 8 hour class time and its either 92 or 96 ammo count range time. I cant remember exactly.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
As a side note why do we need a permit when our Constitution clearly states "The Right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..." I know this has been extensively discussed but still...
For all the same reasons you have to have a permit to hold a rally on "public" property....it's about revenue.
That was the ONLY reason several Sheriffs in Alabama decried the change to our law extending the limit to 5 years from every year renewal. They said they would lose out on the revenue it generated....

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
This is something we will never see becoming a reality...

Never...Going...To...Happen...

1) would require a Federal directive (which we DO NOT WANT...EVER) from a Government Body who has repeatedly attempted to circumvent Constitutional Amendments and restrict ownership they're certainly not going to make anything easier for gun owners...

2) It is a direct infringement upon States' Rights; I want to see more power given back to the State government, not less...

3) CCP statutes are so convoluted and overly complex, a Federal Directive would result in making carry more heavily restricted and extremely ineffective, by utilizing idiotic restrictions from states we all don't wish to visit anyway!

4) The fees would skyrocket--since every state would expect revenue from the sales....

5) Many CCP holders (myself included) would fight the directive...for all the reasons listed and for the simple fact your convenience shouldn't dictate my rights anymore than mine should yours...

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Some states have more stringent requirements than others. For example, Wisconsin recognizes Michigan C.P.L. but Michigan does not honor Wisconsins ( might have changed by now) due to when Wisc 1st got their carry laws there was no range time required to get a permit. In Michigan there is a required range time. I think we don't accept Az or any other state that does not meet the 8 hour class time and its either 92 or 96 ammo count range time. I cant remember exactly.
Yooper - you're overdue a visit to Handgunlaw.us. MI recognizes resident permits from ALL states now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Each state should set the rules. Just like with a drivers license. I have permits for two states just so I can visit neighboring states. Speaking with law enforcement in Oregon, they painfully see no reason why Oregon doesn't recognize any states permit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts