Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it anywhere.

A bill to allow those licensed for CCW in any state to carry concealed legally in any other state has been introduced in the house, with a companion bill waiting to be introduced in the Senate. I think they have a fair chance of passing, and it looks like they're going to try to tie to something that Obama won't want to veto.

Congress considers law allowing interstate travel with concealed guns | GantDaily.com

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
I don't know if I like this or not. While they may recognize the license, it says nothing about other facets of the CCW world. Example: My state has the "Make my day law" and has expanded it outside of the home to pretty much everywhere, including the workplace going into effect in a couple months. Not all states have this, some have a duty to retreat. What I am afraid of is they try to make all the states laws similar to stop confusion, which would likely mean they would end up taking away some of the rights I already enjoy. I really can't see some of these states wanting as friendly of gun laws as we have here.
I guess I am saying that since I can already carry in 36 or so other states with my current license, this doesn't have much of a positive effect on me, and I really hope it doesn't lead to negetive effects on our gun friendly laws.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not necessarily a good deal. The federal government has a bad track record at defending our freedoms. It would be much better to let this be handled on a state by state basis. Let the voters in each state push the state government for the individual freedoms. The states that allow these freedoms can then decide on a state by state basis whether or not to honor the permits of another state, dependent upon a review of the process in those states they choose to share reciprocity with.
At no point do I see any good coming from federal involvement here. To me, under my tinfoil cap, this presents another opportunity for the fed to regulate something. Not cool to me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think they are trying to say that you would still follow a state's laws, but wouldn't have to apply for a whole new permit. I like it because I cannot safely travel through MA, NJ, or NYC, all of which I travel through often. I too have several licenses from other states that enable me to carry. But, assuming that you have already passed the federal background check, local check, and have been fingerprinted and all that, you should be able to atleast travel through a state without having to constantly remove, unload, lock, unlock, load, and holster your gun each time you pass a liberal border.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The rumor of something like this coming about has been going around for some time. I personally, don't want or need anything from Washington on this issue.

As OKCherokee stated, there are states that have rather "liberal" conceal carry laws, while some are more restrictive. It's OUR responsibility as responsible gun owners to know the laws of the land. I don't need or want half-wits from Washington telling any state what color the sky is, let alone how they should handle local issues.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
wtf? I thought cpl holders COULD cross state lines carrying concealed as long as they followed that states ccw laws!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they are trying to say that you would still follow a state's laws, but wouldn't have to apply for a whole new permit. I like it because I cannot safely travel through MA, NJ, or NYC, all of which I travel through often. I too have several licenses from other states that enable me to carry. But, assuming that you have already passed the federal background check, local check, and have been fingerprinted and all that, you should be able to atleast travel through a state without having to constantly remove, unload, lock, unlock, load, and holster your gun each time you pass a liberal border.
Yes, that's exactly it. The law would require that a state treat an out of state CCW permit holder in the exact same way it would treat an in state permit holder.

I found the text of the bill. It's really short. It's worth the read, even if it's mostly in legalese.

Text of H.R.822 as Introduced in House: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wtf? I thought cpl holders COULD cross state lines carrying concealed as long as they followed that states ccw laws!
Only in states with reciprocity. If I'm carrying concealed and I cross the Columbia into Oregon, I'm breaking Oregon law because I'm not licensed to carry concealed there because they don't have reciprocity with Washington. The same would apply in reverse to an Oregonian crossing into Washington.

It's not a huge concern for me, since I live in Seattle, and it's a fairly long drive to Oregon, but people who live in Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR are often crossing the border, and I imagine it could get pretty frustrating having to deal with the differing laws.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Only in states with reciprocity. If I'm carrying concealed and I cross the Columbia into Oregon, I'm breaking Oregon law because I'm not licensed to carry concealed there because they don't have reciprocity with Washington. The same would apply in reverse to an Oregonian crossing into Washington.

It's not a huge concern for me, since I live in Seattle, and it's a fairly long drive to Oregon, but people who live in Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR are often crossing the border, and I imagine it could get pretty frustrating having to deal with the differing laws.
I guess I saw it differently since my cpl is michigan and almost all state honor that, I just kind of guessed that most states recognized other states cpl's the same.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Yes, and no. It really depends on what state your license is from and what states recognize (or don't) each others licenses.
You DO have to do some homework on your own and know the laws of the states you will be traveling through, as they all vary slightly.
However, this just seems like a step towards the Federal government regulating the who, when, where, and how of CCW as opposed to letting the individual states decide themselves. On the surface it seems like a good idea, but it just opens the door for all kinds of regulation in my mind. The same way they are trying to hide this bill with something else the POTUS won't veto, they will slowly add in regualtions on us, and we won't even know until it is too late. We will be tricked into supporting a seemingly worthwhile bill that will have some crap tacked on the back taking away our rights.
Besides, we all know how good the federal government is at micro-managing instead of just letting the states take care of it....

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Use this to see who who honors your states permit.
I have one of them saved on my comp from usacarry.com I just guess I took it for granted since the stated that dont honor my permit I dont ever go to other than Wisc and their ccw laws are changing so im betting before too long I will be able to carry there as well, all the other states, I will never see in my lifetime! Edit- I cant say never I just have no reason to ever go to those states!

·
Registered
486 Posts
It limits the state's power to ban constitutional rights. Isn't that the point of a federal government? It still leaves states the ability to regulate and create laws, but ensures that you can have your second amendment right on some level.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not being a constitutional lawyer I read that as stating states still posted the right to not grant a CCL, and that this bill does not allow carry into states that do not allow carry. If I read that right, did I? Then all this does is something the states have done individually. With this interpretation I do not see how it reinforces anyones rights.
Am I reading this wrong??

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not being a constitutional lawyer I read that as stating states still posted the right to not grant a CCL, and that this bill does not allow carry into states that do not allow carry. If I read that right, did I? Then all this does is something the states have done individually. With this interpretation I do not see how it reinforces anyones rights.
Am I reading this wrong??
I think you're reading it right. What this bill is designed to do is grant nationwide CCW reciprocity. So if a state allows CCW for any of its residents, it must also honor the permits issued by other states. However, if the state doesn't allow CCW, then you still can't carry there, even if you have a permit from your home state.

As of right now, if this bill passed, you would be able to carry in 48 of 50 states (49 once Wisconsin's law goes into effect) with your valid home state's concealed carry permit. You'd still need to know the specifics of the laws of the state you'll be visiting about where a permit holder can and cannot carry, but you won't have to disarm just for crossing the state line.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I say NO. I don't want the federal government getting any more say about gun laws. If the federal government says you can do something they can also say you can't do something. It's a slippery slope and we don't want to open that door.

Get your state to allow other state CC licenses, don't give away any more state rights.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

I live on the river and yes it is a real PITA, but i don't want the feds having anything to do with states rights.

·
Registered
608 Posts
some states require training for a concealed permit and some don't.. this affects reciprocity as well

1 - 20 of 37 Posts