Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying my first XD with in a week or so and I have a few questions. I've decided on a 4" 9mm for my daily carry.
The stock night sights, are they any good?
Good IWB holster, who makes one?
What's the deal with changing the guide rod?
How does the XD handle a steady diet of +P ammo?

I'll think of more soon, I'm sure. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
477 Posts
jetsiphon said:
I will be buying my first XD with in a week or so and I have a few questions. I've decided on a 4" 9mm for my daily carry.
The stock night sights, are they any good?
Good IWB holster, who makes one?
Stock sights aren't night sights. If you want to upgrade to night sights check www.xd-hs2000.com or www.pistolgear.com

All kinds of good IWB holsters out there. Comp-tac c-tac is a popular one, http://www.gunnersalley.com

Good luck with your new XD, you'll love it.

jonas

·
Registered
889 Posts
Stock night sights - just fine.
Holster - see www.pistol-gear.com (I have a Blade-Tech UCH, and I like it)
Changing guide rod - Don't need to, if the one you have works.
Steady diet of +P - Go for it, but you might want to shoot something a little cheeper for practice.

·
Registered
889 Posts
JHA XD40
You can get the XDs with night sight from the factory, it's just most dealers don't stock them.
They offer Trijicon, and Hinie Slant Pros :D .

·
Registered
66 Posts
The standard sights are just white-dot sights. They are nothing special and do not show up in the dark like night-sights would. As far as IWB holsters go, you're limited only by how much you want to spend. You can go anywhere from as little as $15 to well over a $100 or more depending on what you want. I bought a Desantis Pro Stealth holster for my IWB carry and put a review about it on this site just a few days ago. You can read about it here :

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=26278

The guide spring issue I can't really help you with. I have no issue right now with the stock guide rod/spring combo in my XD9 service so I have no need to concern myself with it yet. I have used +P ammo through it though and have had no issues with it. It's more expensive than the normal target stuff and has slightly more recoil, but it's more than manageable in the XD and I actually have the +P Speer Gold Dot JHP sitting in the SD mag right now.

As for the XD, good choice! I'm sure you'll enjoy that handgun as much or more than I do! I love mine and would love to pick up the XD9 subbie next year If I can swing it![/url]

·
Registered
477 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
JHA XD40
You can get the XDs with night sight from the factory, it's just most dealers don't stock them.
They offer Trijicon, and Hinie Slant Pros :D .
As I understand it, night sights are from Springfield's custom shop, not the factory.

jonas

·
Registered
889 Posts
When I ordered my XD-40 Tactical for an IPSC Production gun I was looking at the website for the wholesale company the FFL was ordering it from,(I think it was Bill Hicks) and they listed almost all the XDs as having the option of night sights, and they listed the custom shop gun seprately from the rest. The guns with the night sights were only about $40 or $50 more, if I remember right.
They also list them on the Springfield Armory website.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, thanks again for the info. I've tried to dig up as much info as possible, but sometimes just like to see what everyone has to say. What are you other 9mm guys out there using for personal protection ammo?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
jetsiphon said:
Well, thanks again for the info. I've tried to dig up as much info as possible, but sometimes just like to see what everyone has to say. What are you other 9mm guys out there using for personal protection ammo?
I have primarily used the Federal 147 gr. JHP.. But last week I picked up a box of Speer Gold Dot in 147 gr JHP and they shoot just fine. I am not an expert in the balistics, but a lot of the guys around here swear by Speer.. and as far as I know I am the only one who has been using the Federal round. I figured I would give the Speer rounds a try.. They were just as consistent as the Federal round, smooth, consistent ejection, and I have better luck shooting tighter groups than with practice rounds (UMC or WWB)

As for holsters.. I have an ever expanding collection. My favorite are the Fist #1 ultra thin Kydex holsters. That is what works for me.. but most of the fella's prefer leather.

Raymond

·
Registered
889 Posts
Don't feel bad Captin you'er not the only one using Federal, I use them because that's what all the local law enforcement use here, and I get 50 rd boxes of 9mm for $15.50, and 50 rds of 40S&W for $18.00. Thats alot cheeper then buying the other brands with only 20rds in a box.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I picked it up tonight, all black with night sights. Got it for 5% off asking for two scratches. I'm very happy so far.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Factory installed night sights are fine. FYI- The Local indoor range sells a lot of XDs and carrying the NS versions. Now that I think about it, the local gunshop/pawnshop also had a NS version.

I like the Hume IWB leather holster on pistol-gear.com. $24ish bucks, durable, comfortable (for me.)

Ammo wise- I like the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain or the Winchester Ranger +P+ 124 grain. Both have a good track record with major police departments. (NYPD uses Speer.) I have also tried Federal Hydrashocks and Corbon hollow points in my XD with no feed problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts