Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this issue probably has been discussed before, but I just really am surprised at the huge difference in quality between the two...

a few of the N guns I've dry fired had triggers that were horrible for a 1911... actual trigger creep and mushy... (unusual in a 1911), also the engraving of the serial and name on slide and frame were not laser engraved but appeared stamped with some letters thicker than others... in comparison the USA made 1911's almost look like they were laser engraved...

also the finish is a far cry from one another... the stainless was not mirror smooth but wavy...

the black stainless I looked at had some of the black areas flake off (on a brand new unfired gun)...

just my experience...

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Totally understandable ... The newer machines are in the U.S. and the Brazilian finishing equipment is probably a previous generations design, also.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
My stainless GI has some of those finish qualities. Not horrible...but nothing like my two Colts or the Kimber.

Still....I was shocked at how well the thing shot. It is every bit as accurate as the Colts and it was totally reliable right out of the box. Can't say that for several Colts I have owned.

But I have noticed that these days, the fit and finish on many guns is nowhere near what they were even up to about the mid 80s.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Ill be honest other than glocks which seem to be very consistent in fit and finish others vary alot. I cant tell you how many guns i see from gun shops that come with scratches or machining marks right from the factory.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yes, Glocks are usually very consistent on good finishes.

I also have seen very few Kimbers that are not finished very well. Even their Custom II and other lower tier guns are usually finished out very well.

Everything else is very hit and miss. SIGs and others can either be really nice or have very visible flaws. Ruger is also king of ratty, poorly done finishes and machining. I was shocked when I first held one of their 1911s...because it did not look like the P-85 I used to own or any of my other Rugers. Rugers work very well....but their finishes are not great.

The other guns I have seen some bad finishes on have been the newer bolt guns from Remington, Winchester or Savage. I guess, if you want nice bluing and decent wood...you have to blow big dollars on a MkV Weatherby or better rifle these days. Today's MkV has the finish you USED to get on a Remington 700 BDL back in the 80s.

- brickboy240

1 - 5 of 5 Posts