Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gonna hit the range today but it's raining. I've been meaning to post about this so let's do it.

I wanted to do a comparison between 2 popular Holsters. Wear each one for 6 months or so and see what I thought after. Let me caveat this with these are my own experiences and thoughts. Yours may or may not vary. I carried each both on and off duty. I carried each with the same gun. I trained with both. Both have seen summer and winter use. Both were carried between 3 and 4 o'clock. For reference I am 6'5" and weigh 220lbs.

AlienGear 3.0

These are pretty popular and for good reason. Affordable and made with decent materials.

I like the adjustments it has and the price point is pretty good. They also have great customer service and warranty. The modularity is awesome.
Great retention

Comfort for me wasn't that great however. When it got really hot the neoprene backer would stick to me up around the grip. I'm also on my 3rd backer and 3rd shell. The first backer got torn up during a foot pursuit. The second just fell apart along the seams. I've also cracked 2 shells. In every instance all it took was an email to AlienGear and a photo and I had a replacement on the way. The longest I was without it was 5 days waiting on a backer. It conceals fine for me and I never had an issue drawing from concealment during training. It also wrinkles up as the photos show. When I got it I adjusted it for the cant I wanted and used Locktite on the screws. For some reason I had issues with the belt clip screws backing out. Red Locktite fixed that but it was still kind of annoying. I also would prefer Phillips or standard screw heads instead of the hex head it came with. The other thing I dislike is because the backer is solid it collects lint and dirt like you wouldn't believe.

All in all it's been a decent holster sans my issues. Pricepoint and modularity is great though I'd like to see them use a thicker kydex.

The second rig is a StealthGearUSA Onyx (now known simply as their Ventcore IWB)

I've tried the AlienGear, Hidden Hybrid, DeSantis, Crossbreed and some of the single clip kydex offerings. For me personally this is the most comfortable of all the rigs I've tried. For the price point perhaps it should be. I wore it the same way as the AG and trained with it as well. StealthGear also offers a lifetime warranty though I have yet to need it. Downsides are no modularity. Each backer is cut to the specific gun so swapping shells is out. They use a .093 kydex that is slightly flared at the top aiding in reholstering. Winter or summer I've never had any comfort issues with it. It's had no issues deforming and though AG claims otherwise it has more adjustability because you can change the height of the clips as well. Everything on it uses Phillips head screws and it was set to the proper retention out of the box. Unlike the AG I didn't need to use Locktite on anything. Nothing has come loose thus far. The backer is a padded material that is moisture wicking and has a vented piece of Kydex sewn between. It's rigid and has kept its shape much better than the AG with the same amount of use. Actually much less use because the backer on the AG is only a few months old.

The biggest downside to it that the AG offering clearly beats it in is swapping platforms. A 12 dollar shell is all you need to carry another gun. If I want to carry something else with StealthGear it's gonna run approximately 110 bucks. Not chump change for sure. For me though when I do change up carry guns it's usually a Glock 32 or Glock 19 so not an issue there. I do have one on order for my new HK VP9SK.

I don't mind spending some dough on something that I get so much quality use out of but if your carry rotation includes 4 or more guns that would get crazy expensive.
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1366.JPG
IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Informative review. Thanks. That stealth gear is reall nice. Where were you 3 weeks ago on this?!?!?:mrgreen:
Actually, you tried to push me towards the vent core , but I opted out and got the Tuck 3.0 based solely on price. It's a Solid holster and I'm happy with it so far. I did eyeball those stealth gear holsters for a long while before going AG. Next holsters will be a stealth gear and a cross breed probably.
Only complaint is also that My belt clip screws back out. I think they even sent me a small tube of blue loctite with the holster in the little odds and ends bag that comes with it. Haven't quite settled on which can't I prefer so I haven't secured them permanently yet. Well , that and the area by my front belt clip sticks out and an odd angle when I'm seated. Nothing really noticeable to the eye but I can feel it. May need to put on some weight to fill that area in?!? Lol. All in all good quality though.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I was about to drop the hammer on another Incog but the SG Protos are on sale right now...

Thanks for the review, you validated my decision to go w SG.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMG_1369.JPG
Yeah they're running a 20 percent off sale right now. I also use their Ventcore IWB mag carrier. One of the cool things is you can swap a mag holder for a flashlight holder.

Reactions: DevJames

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So roughly 2 years after getting the StealthGear I had to use the warranty. Admittedly I’m rough on gear. I do quite a bit of shooting from concealment, draw practice etc. The edges of the backer started to fray and separate. Supposedly StealthGear has updated/upgraded the material and stitching they use. Time will tell.

Getting them to cover it was easy. Sent an email. Took a few pics and a few days later I was contacted saying he’d put an order in for a replacement backer. Now it did take over a month to get though I fault the warranty guy as he dropped the ball on shipping.

When I bought my original Onyx they had a lifetime warranty. I’m pretty sure I read on their site they’ll only offer a 2 year going forward.
324BCEBC-749D-45A1-8C4F-1746E94F5E4E.jpeg

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
So roughly 2 years after getting the StealthGear I had to use the warranty. Admittedly I’m rough on gear. I do quite a bit of shooting from concealment, draw practice etc. The edges of the backer started to fray and separate. Supposedly StealthGear has updated/upgraded the material and stitching they use. Time will tell.

Getting them to cover it was easy. Sent an email. Took a few pics and a few days later I was contacted saying he’d put an order in for a replacement backer. Now it did take over a month to get though I fault the warranty guy as he dropped the ball on shipping.

When I bought my original Onyx they had a lifetime warranty. I’m pretty sure I read on their site they’ll only offer a 2 year going forward. View attachment 525761
It may be the angle but it looks like the new one has a slightly different shape on top.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It may be the angle but it looks like the new one has a slightly different shape on top.
Yeah the sweat guard is longer and not as wide.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My LGS actually recommended the original AG cloak tuck, with the thick leather backing. Citing durability issues like you've described with their newer designs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts