Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backround: I own a XDM 3.8 in .40 with well over 1500 rounds fired, never a malfunction. I own a XDM 4.5 in 45 and have about 500 through that. Not one problem.
My wife bought a XDs 9/4.0 early this week and has not had a chance to shoot it yet. (She shot the same gun as a rental pre purchase.)
I liked it so much, I went and got one myself. 9/4.0
I was able to shoot it at the range, immediately after purchase.
With the track record I've had with them I was not expecting the problems I had. Out of 100 blazer brass and 100 federal Amer. Eagle, I had about 7-8 stovepipes and 4-5 double feeds. Thats a lot of hickups for 200 rounds. :sad:
The gun was accurate enough and the trigger is really nice IMHO.
I know a lot of you are thinking, limp wrist but that was not the problem. I had a hold of that sucker, almost too much.
We have been taking defensive pistol training so I am really aware of what I am doing (meaning right, wrong and making corrections) and the drills to clear the weapon when this stuff happens.
It should be noted I did shoot 20 hydra shock with no problems.
Well, my next step will be to clean it tomorrow and then shoot it this weekend and hope that it is okay.....but I doubt it.
I took apart my wifes to inspect and clean as she haden't fired it yet and it was very clean from the factory. Just oiled it according to the manual.
Man, I hope it was just dirt or maybe break-in. I really want to be able to trust this gun. Even more so I hope my wife's dosen't have issues. I'd hate to see her get discouraged.
Thanks for listening. I'll update after the weekend.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Clean, lube, shoot, repeat. May just need a little use or polishing like a couple others have reported. It's a great little gun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First shot out of my wife's xds 45 out of the box was a light primer strike. I cleaned it and oiled it, no more failures in 2000 plus rounds.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
From your description ("able to shoot it at the range, immediately after purchase") I would have to assume you shot the pistol without first a thorough cleaning and then a good lubrication. That, by itself, is likely the source of many, if not all, of your extraction and ejection problems. I would also guess that this is probably not how you first shot your other Springfield pistols, hence fewer problems with them. The preservatives that new pistols come with in the box are not lubricants and need to be removed before applying some decent lube to the pistol. Once this is done, I would venture your pistol will work much better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had light primer strikes with the factory lube job. After cleaning the gunk out of the striker channel I have not had on in 100s of rounds. Give it a good cleaning and try again. If you still have issues report back and we can try again :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the exact same experience (rental-fine, owned one, nothing but problems). I got rid of it and am going to stick with the XDM series.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
are you certain you are not accidentally riding the slide stop? Did the malfunctions all happen on one specific magazine?

My first two concerns are still inadequate lubrication and/or limp-wristing...could be a few other things...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got to go today and test fire for function.
I stripped the pistol, cleaned it and oiled w/ hoppes gun oil as directed by owners manual last night.
Today I shot 100 rounds WWB
25 aluminum federal
50 Amer. Eagle
7 Blazer brass
11 hydra shocks.
193 rounds without a problem. Not a hint of a problem. weak hand, rapid, even tried to limp wrist it. 3 different mags. :D
It just kept shooting fine. 0 malfunctions :)
The Amer Eagle and blazer brass were the same ammo not working before.
This...is how an Xd is supposed to work.
I'm happy now. Got a nice group w/ the hydra shocks @ 25'
I think the original problems were from a complete lack of lubrication.
As a side note all 3 of my xds were shot minutes after buying at the store so no, I did not clean/lube prior. This was the only one that I had a problem with.
Anyway, glad it's over. XDs ROCK.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, I keep mine clean and oiled up. If I don't shoot it for a couple of weeks, I pull the slide off and apply a light coat of oil to the rails and the barrel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was looking to see if anyone else has had this issue. I have had a few double feeds/failures to extract in my XDs 3.3 9mm, but only with the 9rd magazine. I have fired at least 1000 rounds through it and only had this one issue. I carry my XDs so I took the 9rd mag out of my carry system and I just use the 7rd mags that I have never experienced any problems. Also, FYI, I was using some Aguila ammo, not sure if it was the ammo or the mag...
Walther PPQ M1 9mm (Just bought)
Ruger SR22 .22LR
Mossberg 715t .22LR

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe try another brand of ammo? Nice to use that 9 rounder if U can. Maybe get another 9 Rd mag or two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts