Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had some pics accumulating on my phone so I thought I'd put them somewhere they'd be appreciated.

I've got two 'projects' I'll share because they might help somebody else with ideas.

The first one is a modified pearce grip. I am a small guy, about 5'6" and 135lbs. In a decently baggy t shirt, I can easily and comfortably conceal my 4" 9mm XD Service model in a crossbreed supertuck. However I usually wear slightly more fitted clothing and so that means I am rolling with the 9mm subcompact. Here was my dilemma: I've got pretty small hands, but to fit all three fingers on the grip with the flat magazine base pad was uncomfortable and I couldn't do it quickly on the draw. So I picked up a pearce grip which seemed to solve the problem. What I hated was that if I bent over at all, the tip of the pearce would poke out and print. I also noticed with my smallish hands I wasn't using ALL of the grip on the pearce. So I set out to cut the tip off of it so that it was just enough of an extension to be able to fit my hand on it. The result is shown below and has been working great. I have yet to test it at the range to see if impacts my shooting one way or another, but I've drawn and re-holstered with both the modified pearce, and a second unmodified one, to compare. I've included pictures of the XD subcompact with all three magazine variations for your viewing pleasure. Let me know what you think.

I also tossed in a fired and unfired Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +p just for fun. I've always loved the look of a perfectly expanded JHP. Also included are a few size comparisons between my full size and subcompact, just for anybody wondering the exact size differences.

Grip Pictures:

$1.jpg
$2.jpg
$3.jpg
$IMG_20110501_141916.jpg
$IMG_20110501_141943.jpg

Continued in next post

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
$IMG_20110501_142237.jpg

$IMG_20110501_142331.jpg

$IMG_20110501_142459.jpg

Okay, project number 2:

Project number 2 involved me wanting a way to mount an XD under my desk for easy access. It isn't stored overnight there and would only be stored under the desk when I was present. I consider that secure.

I started by finding a holster that worked for both XD's that I didn't care about. I settled on the factory provided one. I now needed to figure out how to mount it to the underside of the desk. There really isn't anywhere to drill on those things. So what I ended up doing was slipping a strip of metal through the belt loop area, like a metal belt basically, and then drilling the strip of metal to the desk. It works really well.

Let me know what you guys think.

The view from under the desk:
$IMG_20110424_112254.jpg

Here is what you'd see if you knelt down in front of my desk where my chair usually is. You can also see a 3-Dcell Maglite mounted on the left.

$IMG_20110424_113507.jpg

Continued in next post

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lastly,

Here are some randoms that might be interesting to people.

These are two rounds fired into water to test expansion. The 9mm is a Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p and expanded fully and reliably (I tested 10 of them). The .38spl was a 135gr +p and exited the 2nd water jug. I managed to recover it in the mud but it did not expand fully and I ended up forgetting to fire another one. I plan to fire a few more into water to ensure they do expand all the way. I attribute the slight failure of this one to the fact that it went into the mud and didn't finish its path in a water jug:

$IMG_20110424_151511.jpg

These are the three pistols I carry. From top to bottom, XD9 Service, XD9sc, and Ruger LCR .38spl. All have trijicon 3-dot night sights.

$IMG_20110321_173452.jpg

This picture is of everything I carry on a normal basis, minus a few things here and there given circumstances. XD9sc with 13rd mag and pearce grip (now the modified grip), 4Sevens Preon II tactical flashlight (these things are AWESOME and easy to carry. Look into them if you haven't heard of them), Emerson CQC-7 folding knife, Spare 16rd XD mag with an IWB mag pouch, Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster, Ruger LCR .38spl with boot grips that is carried in a Renegade ankle holster. I use the boot grips because they are less 'sticky' than the tamer grips that pull on my leg hair. Then wallet and keys just so it's all there. It should be noted that I either carry the XD and an extra mag, or the XD and the LCR on my ankle. I also occasionally throw on the bigger more comfortable ruger 'tamer' grips and roll with just that IWB for summer carry (with a speed strip in my pocket).

$IMG_20110322_000937.jpg

Last is a pic of my XD9sc in its crossbreed supertuck next to my Ruger LCR (with the bigger, more comfortable 'hogue tamer grips) in its crossbreed supertuck.

$IMG_20110303_234254.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! Get at me with any questions/feedback.

-Twister

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cool pictures......I like the desk idea.....good job.....I had a XD9 compact and then went to xd9-sc.....do alot private security and the sub-compact is a great to carry concealed

·
Premium Member
127,260 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have not done any of this, so thank you very much for the idea of reducing the Pierce grip and the metal strip to hold the holster under the desk.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would drill all the way through the holster, then drill the top half bigger. Then countersink the inside, and put a flat head cap screw. It would look invisible as if attached by itself.

Agreed. Take whatever drill bit you need for your screws and drill all the way through the holster. Then get one a bit larger than the screw head and just drill through the holster body, but not the belt part. This would also allow you to use some washers on the trigger guard side to cant the holster so the grip is further away from the desk. As you have it, the grip is canted toward the desk and in a stressful situation, it could hinder getting a good grip.

I like the trimming of the extension.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts