Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was at a gun show this weekend and got a great deal on a S&W .380 Bodyguard. I have been researching this pistol and have wanted it for some time since it is easily concealable. I also picked up a box of Hornady Critical Defense JHP's and a box of PMC FMJ's.
I have yet to take her to the range but hopefully will break her in next weekend.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congrats! When do we get a range report? some users do not care for the recoil on these guns. Interested in hearing your shooting experience. Again, congrats on the new gun.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Although rough, I imagine the recoil will be much better than the Kel-Tec 380's since they are a bit smaller than the S&W Bodyguard 380's. With the Bodyguard I only have my pinky finger hanging off whereas I had both pinky and ring finger hanging off on the Kel-Tec. In either case it will only be used as a self defense gun therefore I will not be taking it to the range except for few occasions.
Hopefully I will be getting some range time in this weekend and I will let everyone know how it went and what my thoughts are.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have not had a chance to break in my new Bodyguard 380...been so busy these days.
As soon as I get over to the range I will report my thoughts and results...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice looking gun, I just picked one up for my EDC last week :) I put 100 rounds of winchester white box through it and loved it. The recoil is not bad at all and my hand did not hurt at all or anything after 100 rounds. Have you shot any of that critical defense ammo through it yet? i bought a box of that too and then my buddy told me that he heard 380s have a lot of problems cycling that ammo due to the rubber tip getting caught on the feed ramp. I was hand cycling it through my gun and it seemed really smooth and fine but havent had a chance to actually shoot it yet. You will love the bodyguard. I almost bought an lcp and I am so glad that i chose this instead it is much more comfortable to handle and shoot.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! :D

Like you, the reason I purchased mine was mainly for EDC...I have had it in my pocket since the day I purchased it and you almost forget it is there until you put your hands in your pockets. I have not had a chance to break her in properly but I am anxious to do so.
As far as the Hornady Critical Defense ammunition, I have not heard about feeding problems but I will definitely run through a box of those as well as the box of 50 PMC FMJ rounds I purchased and report my results.
It's looking like I have a busy schedule this weekend so no range time.... :(
Maybe next weekend...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. I looked at the Bodyguard revolver yesterday.

From all the reading I've done, the Hornady Critical Defense is a gimmick round, and expands too early and underpenetrates.

If cycling is an issue you'd be better off with the Corbon Pow'r'ball.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased mine at a local gun show for $325 all inclusive...

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally got to break in the new Bodyguard .380. After I left the range it occurred to me that I never took one picture of the results (UGH!) So you guys will have to take my word for it...heh heh :p

I put 100 rounds through it and could have easily put 100 more. The recoil is no where near what I expected it to be...well in comparison to the harsher recoil on the smaller Kel-Tec .380. The iron sights are easy to use and accurate but the built in laser is what makes this pistol that much better. Once I zeroed the laser in at 35 feet, it was spot on accurate from a bench rest stance. Without the use of a bench rest I had 3" groupings at 35 feet which is not bad at all considering the size of the pistol.
I would definitely recommend the Bodyguard .380 and hopefully I will remember to get pics on my next range visit. :cool:

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
Just carry the FMJ, and get rid of the CD.

It's unlikely to penetrate deeply enough in .380 (or any other caliber, for that matter) to get to vitals on anything less than a perfect shot--and perfect shots rarely happen anywhere other than the range.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have heard the same thing when researching the best self defense .380 round. Supposedly the FBI did testing on the round and most HP's didn't penetrate well enough where as most of the FMJ had decent enough penetration. They tested several different brands of HP and FMJ and Corbon Pow'R Ball was one of the best rounds that produced deep penetration...

I had bought the Hornady CD when I bought the pistol...wasn't sure at the time what was considered the best self defense round. I will burn the box up on my next range visit and pick up some Corbon's....

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts