Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went too the range today, Had a mag of speer gold dot personal protection in the gun so i figured what the hell i'll see how they do (first time firing a jhp in this gun, put 150 rounds of fmj with no prob a week before) 3 rounds in the slide stuck open about 3/8th of an inch and the round was nose dived in the chamber.... cursed the gun... pulled the mag... was able to eject the round after pulling the slide twice... put the mag back in and proceeded to fire the next 2 rounds.... then in did it again.... cursed the gun bunch more... took the mag out... had a lot of trouble getting the round out... finaly i got it to come out.... emptyed the mag of jhp rounds... loaded up some fmj and it fired without a hicup for 100 rounds... just wondering if its... my dumb ### or the gun's.... any help would be great.... new too shooting so im not shure what if anything im doing wrong.....

·
Registered
324 Posts
I experienced failures with my handloads because I used SWC lead, which have a cone-shaped nose that is much smaller than the .451" diameter of the bullet - the recessed "shelf" catches on the barrel hood and results in some moderately impressive jams.

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
Have you tried other JHP's?

Maybe your pistol just doesn't like Gold Dots, not JHP's in general.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Gold Dots are not "all HPs" you need to try different kinds to see which one feeds reliably in your gun.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Just try some more till you find some that work.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Fully stock pistol or some mods? Pistol and chamber recently cleaned? No burrs or heavy sooting of chamber or feed ramp from cheap practice ammo? What was the practice FMJ ammo? Brass cartridge? What weight JHP bullet? How does OAL compare to the FMJ that functioned? Could be out of spec ammo. Not round or too large diameter. Bad crimp. Was the failure with the same magazine as used with the FMJ and did you try more than one different magazine? Dirty mag interior or bent feed lips could present round incorrectly, compare top round position of different mags.
Also try different brand ammo in recently cleaned pistol. 230 gr may feed easier than lighter rounds due to shape/length.

Additional to just finding some ammo that might work, is trying to determine why some ammos do not work. Maybe it is an easy fix or a problem that could get worse.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
RangerT's are great. Golden Sabers are very reliable too. Give those a try.

·
Registered
588 Posts
went too the range today, Had a mag of speer gold dot personal protection in the gun so i figured what the hell i'll see how they do (first time firing a jhp in this gun, put 150 rounds of fmj with no prob a week before) 3 rounds in the slide stuck open about 3/8th of an inch and the round was nose dived in the chamber.... cursed the gun... pulled the mag... was able to eject the round after pulling the slide twice... put the mag back in and proceeded to fire the next 2 rounds.... then in did it again.... cursed the gun bunch more... took the mag out... had a lot of trouble getting the round out... finaly i got it to come out.... emptyed the mag of jhp rounds... loaded up some fmj and it fired without a hicup for 100 rounds... just wondering if its... my dumb ### or the gun's.... any help would be great.... new too shooting so im not shure what if anything im doing wrong.....
What exactly does "nose dived in the chamber" look like? The visual image I get is the round is partially in the chamber at about a 45 degree angle nose down, which would have the rim partially sticking out of the ejection port?

Any pistol you stake your life on should have happily consumed at least 100 rounds of the intended carry ammunition. Many recommend a minimum of 300 trouble free rounds!

Total round count on the pistol?

CX

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats what it looked like, i put 150 rounds of wwb fmj / pmc fmj with no prob the week before.... that was my first time shooting the gun... i have since seen that the pmc rounds are very dirty.... wondering if i possibly didnt clean the gun correctly.... i did clean it out this secound time after putting another 100 rounds of pmc and paid very close atention to the feeding ramp..... going to try the rest of the gold dots at the range this week... dont really care for them now... no point in carrying a gun that wont fire a self defence round after leaving the range before i get a chance to clean it

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
+1 Try some remington golden sabers or something that uses the Hornady xtp bullet (fiocchi extrema, Black hills jhp, Hornady tap). Your new 45 may new a little braking in before it like some types of JHP.

Good LUck.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Remington 185 gr. Golden Sabers run fine through my XDm. I've also tried the 230 gr. WWB JHP with no problems. My Golden Saber loads are handloads loaded over several powders @ 1.230" OACL.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts