Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just watching TV and playing around with my XD, and I noticed it was a little dusty, so I wiped it down with an old t-shirt. Then I noticed that the rear dovetail had quite a buildup of dust and grime, so I got a Q-tip and got most of that goop out. To my horror, I felt the rear sight move a little bit as i was cleaning out the notch. Dammit, now my sights are misaligned. Not only that, in trying to readjust them to where they were, I pushed them too far back to the right. Now, the rear sight is hanging half way off the right side of my slide, so I pushed it the rest of the way off. Now I don't know what to do, I can push the rear sight all the way through the dovetail going right to left and also left to right. I'm tempted to locktite them back in place, but I want to be sure I don't lock them in place where I will have to aim a foot to the left at 25 feet.
Just to reemphasise how loose the rear sight is, I dont even want to take the gun out of the case for fear that the sight will fall out and I won't be able to find it.

HELP ME!!!!
(i'm without my carry gun and I feel naked)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Use a spring loaded center punch to put some dimples in the bottom of the dovetail, this will raise up a little metal. Then use a brass punch to drift the rear sight back into position and to adjust windage. Once in place, you MIGHT want to locktite it into place, although I have never needed to do so after using the center punch method.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Rich4444 said:
HELP ME!!!!
(i'm without my carry gun and I feel naked)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LMAO! When I sent my XD out for the trigger job...that's exactly the way I felt. Thank God it was done quickly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Send it back as it has a lifetime warranty. dont screw it up and void the warranty

·
Registered
42 Posts
My rear sight came loose pretty much the same way that you described. I decided that it was a good opportunity to make the rear sight adjustable. Drill and tap either a 5-40 or a 6-32 tapped hole thru the sight itself and put in a stainless steel set screw and you will have a free rear adjustable sight.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
schmedly said:
My rear sight came loose pretty much the same way that you described. I decided that it was a good opportunity to make the rear sight adjustable. Drill and tap either a 5-40 or a 6-32 tapped hole thru the sight itself and put in a stainless steel set screw and you will have a free rear adjustable sight.
Whoa. There are a lot of smart, engineering-types on this board. I would never have the nutz to do such a thing. A great idea, I think. :)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
schmedly said:
A very clever and easy thing to do, congratulations on the idea.

·
Registered
268 Posts
ranburr said:
kgpcr said:
Send it back as it has a lifetime warranty. dont screw it up and void the warranty
Your not going to void the warranty by fixing the sights. :roll:

ranburr
If you screw up the channel you will. so why mess with it.send it in and in a week or so you will have it back and fixed right.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
kgpcr said:
ranburr said:
kgpcr said:
Your not going to void the warranty by fixing the sights. :roll:

ranburr
If you screw up the channel you will. so why mess with it.send it in and in a week or so you will have it back and fixed right.
If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you won't screw up the channel. And even if you screw up the channel, that will not void the warranty on the gun. They may refuse to fix the sight, but they won't void the warranty.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
my XD rear sight came out WAY too easily
CONGRATULATIONS! ...most of us have to use C4...

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
This is kind of funny considering some of us have trouble just drifting them to adjust for aiming problems. I destroyed 2 brass punches trying to get a little bit of movement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The same situation happened to my new XD40 subcompact too. When I cleanup my gun, accidentially I can push the rear sight left to right back and fore by hand without tools.
Could any expert know how to fix it without hammer or make damage on the slide? Wonder to know how gunsmith fix the rear sight?
Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
May I suggest that now it is loose, half the battle is over, replace them with Trijicons or my choice Truglo T.F.O. Just a thought, kill 2 birds at once and enjoy a decent upgrade ... 8)

What ever you decide, be safe ... Big Jake

1 - 17 of 17 Posts