Springfield XD Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
OK, guys, you’ve been very generous with your suggestions and I felt I needed to give you an update.

Between work and weather, I finally had an opportunity to step out to the range to fire off a few strings. Non are stellar, but they show promise. First, the conditions:
Distance: 10 yards, just like the factory target.

Weather: 85 and very windy, with gusts to 35mph. Not great for this kind of thing.

Fired from a bench, rested on a bunch of bath towels, one hand operation for the first two groups. Two handed for the third.

My comments will follow each pic.

5F38ABE1-D151-45E5-93A1-2728DEF9B761.jpeg

1st group: 5 rounds of 180gr FMJ Armscor

07BCA549-5981-4D4B-AB4D-4BE4D83C70B9.jpeg

5 rounds of reloads, 175 gr Lee SWC over 10.5 Blue Dot.
4561233A-514D-43B4-83D8-F60DDFE7A2E8.jpeg

5 rounds of reloads, 175 gr Lee SWC over 10.5 gr Blue Dot, two hand hold over rest.

My summation:
I think my initial problem of shooting low was all me, specific to trigger control. I needed to focus on pulling straight back. I’ve developed a habit of pulling back and down with my fingertip while I spent time hunting with my revolvers in the past. This is a correctable situation, and I’m quite pleased.

Worthy of note:
Shooting in wind with 35 mph gusts is hellacious, but I was determined to at least give it a go. I’m glad I did, as my faith in this little pistol is restored.

My 61 year old eyes played a part a little more than I like to admit. I’ll have to ponder this a bit.

The trigger is,.....well,.....horrible, compared to my revolvers and my CZ Shadow 2. Using this gun for hunting as is will be a no go until I can at least address the trigger.

At any rate, thank you all for your suggestions! You’ve been very generous with your suggestions, and my issues are at least narrowed down, and I can have confidence that it will operate and fire the way it was intended, at least for social work. Now we just need a few refinements.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the update. It's a good reminder for many of us to pay attention to our trigger control.

We agree the stock trigger is in need of improvement. Mine had a looong 5 1/2# trigger I was reluctant to modify as it is a woods and home defense gun. Too light of a trigger or any finickiness would be a deal breaker.
After searching the interwebs I went ahead and installed a basic PRP trigger kit and it was a significant improvement.

Quoting myself from an earlier post:
"Installed the Easy Fit Trigger Kit last night, what an improvement.
As I'm not chasing the lowest trigger pull weight, for round 1 I just changed to a reduced power trigger spring along with the new trigger and striker safety lever. This reduced the pull weight 1/4# and while the pull distance was cut in half the feel was not improved.
For round 2 I installed the reduced power sear spring. Bingo! With less strain on the linkage the trigger feel is notably crisper and 1/2# lighter.
My cheap trigger pull gauge shows 4 3/4# trigger pull.
FWIW I polished the mating surfaces except for the sear and striker interface while I was in there."

Reactions: jame

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I frankly don't love the triggers on these XDs - I have yet to try the new Elites, but with previous generations, they've all been rather erratic out-of-the-box, and even with the better ones that I've been able to sample, they still seem to have some inconsistency in there. Given only a choice between the two, I'd pick a factory Glock trigger over a factory XD's, any day and Tuesday. :p

That said, work at it, and you'll definitely get better. I know that I have - and if I can do it, so can anyone. :D And if you're so inclined, @jame , both the PRP and Springer Precision triggers will both clean things up and refine things quite a bit.

Also like you said, jame, vision has a huge place in this game.

For anyone who's looking to really dial-in their shooting closer-in (25 yard zero and closer) or to engage further out (50 to 100 yards), our eyesight (disease/age), the chosen eyepro (quality of/aberrations in the glass, RX/prescription, and even how your eyes "sit" relative to the lens) as well as environmental lighting (not just where the light is coming from, but also its intensity and any shadowing) can all play havoc. "Minute of man" is a piece-of-cake, but should the shooter actually want to really get after the ball in terms of accuracy and precision, this is an area where things can go pretty wonky.

Similarly, range conditions come into play, too. Newer shooters may think that the 35 MPH gusts may have affected how the bullets printed downrange - and yes, it did - but it's not in the cold-bore Coriolis effect kind of way ;). Rather, it's difficult to shoot with accuracy and precision when the wind is blowing YOU - the shooter - about, and it's even more distracting when your paper target is flapping in the wind (jame is printing on cardboard, but if you didn't bring stakes or sandbags or can find something heavy to weigh-down your target stand....you can imagine how difficult things could be.

I'm glad you got back out there, jame, and really and honestly worked it through! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Alright, guys, one week later, and my wallet now $130 lighter, I have the Powder River drop in trigger installed, and out north of the house I go again for another set at the range.

First off, I’m not sure what trigger kit you guys are installing, but mine was nothing short of a pain in the ass. Now, for a little perspective, I’ve been inside the guts of a variety of revolvers and 1911’s over the years, but I don’t have the sharpness of 35 year old eyes any more, nor do I have the dexterity of 35 year old hands. Adding a little arthritis to slightly diminished eyesight makes for a couple of hours of frustration. On the upside, my curse word strings are a lot more creative than they used to be.

I didn’t put in the super light springs, because this will be a CCW defensive weapon as well, and lightweight triggers make me nervous when pressed into that role.

At any rate, the trigger, while not much lighter, is much more crisp with negligible over travel. And that works out to much better control of the weapon. After a little drift left, then right, this is where I wound up:
0A536F76-4F28-4C53-A6AB-6B352A5CDE14.jpeg

I gave the rear sight a final little tap to the right and called it a day.

I appreciate all of the advice so far fellas. Now just a few final thoughts:

I still have some slight trigger control issues. I’m still working on that.

This thing will sling brass into the next county, and for a reloader like me. Recovering that brass more efficiently will likely be the next project.

I still favor adjustable sights, and that might be a soon to be upgrade, but I think I’ll let my wallet catch up to my want list.

I’m a little frustrated with Springfield Armory for providing a $600 pistol that needs hundreds of dollars in refinements to make it shootable. I’ve owned a couple of their 1911’s, and I didn’t have these issues. Frankly, if it wasn’t for the chosen caliber, (10mm), I doubt I would have spent this much effort on it. The mighty 10 is just one I wanted to try to master, and I do believe the XD-M is the best vehicle going for the round.

I still welcome your input, fellas. Thanks for now.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
The trigger needs work, no doubt about it - but I think it's really somewhat par-for-course for modern polymer-frame striker-fire guns. They all seem to have some kind of quirk with the trigger path - and it depends highly on whether if the particular shooter just "takes" to the quirk, to begin with....or have to work more at it! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The trigger needs work, no doubt about it - but I think it's really somewhat par-for-course for modern polymer-frame striker-fire guns. They all seem to have some kind of quirk with the trigger path - and it depends highly on whether if the particular shooter just "takes" to the quirk, to begin with....or have to work more at it! :)
Yeap, I suppose you’re right, and on the quality scale of things, I suppose this might generally be the new standard. And that’s really ok, in a manner of speaking. I have a CZ Shadow 2that came to my doorstep hitting all the high notes right off the bat. Since I’ve received it, I’ve shot it a few times, reboxed it, and put it back in the safe without any concern or effort what so ever. And what’s the fun in that, right?

Truthfully, if we hand gunners had nothing to tinker with, we’d probably be off and running to the next hobby. We, one and all, need a windmill to tilt towards, don’t you think?;)

I just received my Vedder IWB holster today. I think this little pea shooter might grow on me.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Oh definitely - tinkering is one of the best parts! (y)

And I definitely agree that some makes/models are simply better in one or another aspect of the trigger path...or even the totality of it. And while this is a much easier flag to throw up when we can cut across "genre" lines (i.e. going from striker-fire to hammer, or going to a specific configuration like the 1911/2011), it's also true within, too. Many (including myself) really love the trigger paths on the Walther PPQ and H&K VP9, while Glocks, for example, are praised for their positive wall and reset.

Quirks. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve been shooting for over 40 years. I’ve been casting my own bullets and reloading for the better part of 35 years.

I’m loading a hard cast Lee 175gr SWC over 10.5gr of Blue Dot.

At 30 yards, shooting from a bench, I seem to be shooting about 6” low.

I won’t for a second say that it’s not me, as I know most shooting problems are operator error.

I haven’t shot much more than 20 rounds, feeling that I was just wasting time and ammo, without at least asking a few questions.

Has anyone else had this issue? My Ruger GP100 and my CZ Shadow 2 are spot on. Help?
Do you have the version with suppressor height sights?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts